• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
STP been gutted since TJ Maxx bought them. :nono:

It has changed a bit and their return policy is not what it was, but I wouldn't say gutted. What is clear is that they have a more seasonal focus now. It looks like they are not replenishing their snow sports gear until Fall.
Although their selection changes constantly, people unfamiliar with the site should keep in mind that there are brands that they consistently get closeouts from, for snowsports this includes mountain hardwear, marmot, giro, smith, and many more. The MH snowtastic jacket I bought there for under $200 is incredible. It's also basically the only place I get cycling apparel from as their selection of Pearl Izumi and other brands is usually terrific.

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
Several years ago, I got a nice pair of ski goggles from Sierra Trading Post - "STP" as noted in previous posts. Next, I purchased a few different goggles from Costco over the years, too - they've been a relatively inexpensive type of Bolle, two packs with a yellow lens and a red lens, both double-layered. "Interchangeable" sounds nice, but really cheap interchangeable may not work well -- fitting the lens in properly can be tricky. One year, the Costco/Bolle was a hemispherical goggle, not interchangeable - it was alright. However, two years ago or so, the Bolle goggle was made smaller - 'terrible - it resulted in "gaper gap", a gap exposing some forehead. Also, cheap goggle lenses tend to scratch easily, in my experience. My current googles are Oakley - bought on sale at a discount, from a reputable local ski shop. They've held up very well during the past two seasons. As for affordable helmets, I've seen Bolle at Costco, but those are made for spherical heads and just do not fit me. I, like many other humans on this planet, have a somewhat oval (dare I say, "ovoid") shaped head. So, please remember to try on a helmet before you buy it. I got my helmet at a ski shop - again, a lucky, clearance-rack purchase. It's a good helmet, too, from what I can tell. Ski poles: a friend told me, back in 2007, "Don't spend more than about $20-$25 on ski poles". Many ski shops sell plain aluminum poles at reasonable prices. Last year, I bought a pair during a Labor Day weekend sale at a local shop; yes, about $25, from what I remember. Skis & boots, 'sorry, I don't have any "affordability suggestions" for those items, at this point. It's widely said that, "If you're going to spend money on ski equipment, boots are key." Ask around, then go to a respected boot-fitter. Oh, as for ski jackets & pants: please go to a couple of Outdoors Stores - e.g., LL Bean, Kittery Trading Post, REI, and Ski stores, try things on, ask questions, ask your friends who ski... REI used to make the Shuksan hiking pants - full-side-zipper with Recco reflector, several pockets, Durable Water Repellant coating - I love 'em! Keep an eye open for sales. I got a pair of real ski pants on "clearance" sale from LL Bean, and wear 'em for the zero-degree, windy days. Good luck to you!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco in my area had some great base and mid-layer stuff this year , from Head and Karbon. And Paradox merino base layers, It was all quite cheap. In the past they had Auclair gloves.(leather) This year they had Head gloves ,(synthetic)
My wife and I both had the Head gloves from Costco and they were good for Utah weather. I grabbed a pair of free the powder blems as well

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My favorite reasonably priced things:

Gloves: FreeThePowder. Yes Kincos are cheaper. I rocked Kincos for years. FTP gloves are worth the extra $20-30 to me.

Baselayers: ECWCS Gen iii Level 2 army surplus. Polartec Waffle fabric -- same as in high end makers.

Used outerlayers, skis, and poles are all the way to go.

And if you go into a bootfitter with a hard budget...sometimes they have used boots in the back they can make work.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For Euros no need to go beyond Decathlon own brand gear - designed in the Alps within spitting distance of the Dynastar factory. Own brand skis will be standard rental fodder but everything else is decent quality at a very good price - Not Norrona/Bergans quality but easily North Face quality. I recently bought some spare hi yellow goggles for under $13 equivalent inc tax.

Don't know if they ever have plans to penetrate N America where big box sports stores don't have the greatest track record but the best way I have of describing them is IKEA for sports - very good value bikes, outdoor, raquet, watersports kit etc.

Iirc Decathalon had a store in Portland Maine around 2003-4 which subsequently closed when I was there. And yes, having been familiar with them in Europe, they have some good value gear

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife and I both had the Head gloves from Costco and they were good for Utah weather. I grabbed a pair of free the powder blems as well
JMills, thank you for adding that - good point. I've bought the Costco Head gloves and they are alright for the milder winter days. They definitely are "value-/bargain-priced".

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
And try on the goggles with the helmet. Helmet's gotta fit the head, and goggles and helmet have to fit properly (to avoid that "gaper gap" or any other weird fit issues). Obviously not an issue if you wear a hat instead.

Helmet fit guide: https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-snowboard-helmet-size-fit
Monique, 'nice addition to this thread. If other readers would like more details about helmets & helmet fit, please see the "Need (want) new helmet thread", elsewhere on this website.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
JMills, thank you for adding that - good point. I've bought the Costco Head gloves and they are alright for the milder winter days. They definitely are "value-/bargain-priced".
I have the Head runners gloves which are great for dry, cool days. This year Costco had a little heavier glove that is water proof or resistant. Wore them yesterday in 12° conditions and they were fine. <$20.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've always found DAKINE products to be reasonably priced and of good quality. Don't have specifics off the top of my head, but if you're looking to carry some of their base lines, that's where I'd go.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
No I said CHEAP. Check the lost & found, so you have one glove and one mitten who's looking. Keep an eye out for gear that has fallen off a car roof. Finders losers. Even if the Snow plow ran over it your doing a civic duty picking up trash. Store bought is way over rated. :) I'll probably get scoulded by phil.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does not follow the letter of this thread but buy or ask for single poles in your length. I've been using mix-matched poles for years. Adds character currently LEKI + Kerma. You'll save a TON of cash doing this w/ poles, and gloves ....who says this stuff has to match...... like duct tape... it's CHEAP!
Also these guys for consistent good pricing on high end gear: https://www.orosapparel.com/products/orion-series-jacket-womens
I regularly use snowmobile clothing when it gets super cold. at 20 below windchill I'm in my Klim Keweenaw ($209 a few wks ago) and a thin base layer. Not at all bulky like it used to be back in the day, it's articulated, made for extreme movement, better designed, much more durable, subdued to no external graphics if you want, warmer and cheaper than ski gear. Really hard to get my GF out of her snowmobile gear... :decisions:... and back into her ski gear once winter kicks in. She has top quality ski gear but says the middle of the road snowmobile gear is just much warmer for her small frame especially when it gets windy or we're zooming groomers.

...... but go to @SkiEssentials first for anything! .......... and pardon the shameless plug for my bros over there!!!!!! :beercheer:

Last edited:

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the Head runners gloves which are great for dry, cool days. This year Costco had a little heavier glove that is water proof or resistant. Wore them yesterday in 12° conditions and they were fine. <$20.
Andy, thanks for the note about those - I'm pretty sure I've seen similar ones at our local Costco.

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Level 9 +++, Campsaver+++, Sierra Trading Post ++, Wilderness Exchange+, Ski Essentials +, Alpine Shop (VT) +, Free the Powder +++.

Sponsor

Staff online