• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advancing my skiing to the next level

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I recommend you ski with a focus. What do you want to accomplish this day, this run, this turn.

Yes. Many people have skied for 20 years and still look like they did 15 years ago. That's fine if they are happy, but the point is to advance you need to concentrate and push to learn, not just ski the same old way. Some like to learn just by watching, and this can work, albeit slower. A more efficient way to learn is to get some coaching so that your concentration is directed in a positive way. It won't always click, so that's why variety in instruction is good.

Get video'd. View it in stop action. Use it to ask questions and see what it is you want to change.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Want to ski better in the trees? Get better in the bumps.

Want to ski better on the groomers or in the race course? Get better in the bumps.

Why? Getting better in the bumps is going to require get ever more (and appropriate) flexion and extension in the ankle, hip, and knee. And a key to better ski performance in all terrain is greater dynamic range in flexion and extension.

Of course, the dirt (duration, intensity, rate, and timing) of movement is pretty important.

Mike

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
@AJRSki Afton is a great place to learn. They have several programs for adults. Two you may want to consider are: Men's Academy, it's for men only with male instructors and the primary focus is to help the individual improve their skiing efficiency; next is Get Ready For The West, it's primary focus is to help the individual expand their skiing terrain so they are more comfortable out west. (BTW, there is also a Women's Academy.)
There is also All You Can Eat Gates which is race practice for the general public but it includes coaching.
https://www.aftonalps.com/lessons,-racing,-programs/adult-18plus-(1).

Several people have mentioned getting comfortable skiing moguls. This is great training for out west. You mentioned you want to ski steeps out west. Most of the steep runs and Black and Double Black runs out west are mogul runs. Most steep lessons out west are really mogul lessons because that's really what you'll be skiing.
Peak 6 at Breckenridge is mostly a Blue area but it is always covered in moguls. To ski moguls well you need to work on your technique, primarily rotary. Get really, really good at pivot slips and you will be able to ski moguls. You don't learn or practice pivot slips in a mogul field, you do it on a groomed run with a moderate pitch. .
Afton has a boat load of great instructors that would love to help you improve your skiing. If you want to train for out west and powder skiing try to hook up with Tom Fontana at Afton. Tom is a PSIA Level 3 instructor and is 70 years old. Don't let his age put you off because two years ago he got his Million Vertical Feet parka from Canadian Mountain Holidays. He knows how to ski powder and is always looking for a buddy on his spring heli trips.

Since you live in the twin cities area you have another resource available to you. The Alpine Factory, https://thealpinefactory.com.
It's a indoor revolving infinite slope, one of the few in the country. It's a fantastic training tool and a great place to perfect your technique. The owners Jessica and Dan are both PSIA Level 3 instructors. They also have a young man on staff named Joe Kagan. Joe is only 20 years old, is also a PSIA Level 3 instructor, is already on the PSIA Central Division Ed Staff and is a really great instructor.

Regardless of where you decide to ski take some lessons. You're the kind of student instructors live for.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had this realization a few years back. I wanted to get better and I didn't know how. I was a decent skier and could get around most of the mountain ok, but I certainly was not a dynamic skier and my technique was doing me no favors in difficult terrain. The on-mountain lessons I had taken to date were nothing more than a bunch of ski "tips" jumbled together..much like reading a ski or golf magazine. I definitely need a framework from which to start. I went to the momentum mogul camp at Whistler and found that. I'm not necessarily advocating for that as the answer BUT i found a fundamental approach to skiing that worked for me. As others have suggested it focused on getting shorter radius turns dialed in on the flats and SMALLER bumps and continuing to refine technique in manageable situations before going to visit the bumps that are sized like volkswagons. I focused a lot then (and still do now) on being really balanced and "on top of my skis", learning the difference between driving a ski into a carve or just letting it drive me. I had to really learn what it was to really be out over my downhill ski and "facing" down the hill with real commitment and NOT letting my butt sink back and down as it wants to do from time to time and gets me in the back seat. I am still spending on lot of time on proper absorbing and extending and being able to stay as centered as possible while in 3d terrain. I am not as natural a skier as others and this has taken a TON of hard work and, while i'm much better, i'm STILL not where I want to be. To me it starts by finding a teacher who skis the way YOU want to ski. There are lots of good skiers out there but there are lots of different styles as well. I would find a teacher or program that appeals to how you want to ski and really commit to what they are teaching. My philosophy was that any teacher I wanted to emulate should be able to demonstrate, dynamically, skiing at high level AND then be able to deconstruct it for mortals. Some people or so dang talented that they can't translate it to those of us who aren't as natural as they are and that's a hard combination to find. Good luck...the first step is deciding you want to be better..often I think that's the hardest step. A lot of people think they want to be better but when it comes down to it aren't interest in the hard work and effort that it really takes.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Lots of important points in LnL's posting above.
"The on-mountain lessons I had taken to date were nothing more than a bunch of ski "tips" jumbled together"
Yep, terrible way to teach a lesson. A good instructor both asks what the skier wants to get from the lesson and evaluates the skier and teaches for the single most important movement that student needs.
"I focused a lot then (and still do now) on being really balanced and "on top of my skis",
If we could just tattoo that on to the insides of every ski student's eye lids. My cue for this is to always be on the balls of my feet unless there's a good reason to be balanced elsewhere.
"really be out over my downhill ski and "facing" down the hill with real commitment"
This is what I call skiing aggressively so one has the control to ski as slowly as they want. Some disagree with the word "aggressive." OK, pick a better term for the same degree of commitment...committed to staying balanced out over that downhill ski. Especially in moguls--sit back, or twist around toward the hill, or lean toward the hill, any one dooms the skier.
"NOT letting my butt sink back and down as it wants to do from time to time and gets me in the back seat"
Again, my cue is to stay up on the balls of my feet. Another skier might have a different cue. Whatever gets the job done well.
"spending on lot of time on proper absorbing and extending and being able to stay as centered as possible"
Drills where one exaggerates the absorption by flexing down to touch the tops of the boots, then extending full, then flex down to touch the boots again is one drill that works. When deeply flexed we all get into the back seat. This can't be helped with stiff boots. It should be just momentary, corrected by pulling the feet back as part of the extension movement.
"it starts by finding a teacher who skis the way YOU want to ski."
YES!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This is what I call skiing aggressively so one has the control to ski as slowly as they want. Some disagree with the word "aggressive." OK, pick a better term for the same degree of commitment...committed to staying balanced out over that downhill ski. Especially in moguls--sit back, or twist around toward the hill, or lean toward the hill, any one dooms the skier.

The word you're looking for is "committed." It's right there in your paragraph :)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Watch for my next article. I'll be discussing the mechanisms that enables a skier, or paddler, or musician, or surgeon, etc to excel.