• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

According to Unoff-Net: Most Expensive skis on the market?

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did anyone look at the link at the bottom of his listing?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/11/15/behold-the-9-most-expensive-skis-on-the-market-a/

Foil ski 12,000.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not to push our boy @Cyrus Schenck and Renoun off of the list but this compilation is far from complete. Where are the two Kástle Limited editions? The MX 84 Limited at $1,699 flat and $1,949 with bindings and the MX88 Anniversary ski at $1,999 with bindings?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I really don't get it - I struggle to see how there is a large enough market for the really top ticket stuff. Up to $2000 sure. People easily spend that amount on stuff for their hobbies.

As for the marked up limited editions do they really shift at that price or are they knocked out to good customers at the regular price as a bit of a "reward"?

TS
Joal

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really don't get it - I struggle to see how there is a large enough market for the really top ticket stuff. Up to $2000 sure. People easily spend that amount on stuff for their hobbies.

As for the marked up limited editions do they really shift at that price or are they knocked out to good customers at the regular price as a bit of a "reward"?

Don't struggle, it's easy : ) These people have so much money that $12,000 is pocket change. They have gold plated bathroom fixtures. They have so much money they don't know what to spend it on. They may not be skiers, they just want things that no one else has or can afford.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Don't struggle, it's easy : ) These people have so much money that $12,000 is pocket change. They have gold plated bathroom fixtures. They have so much money they don't know what to spend it on. They may not be skiers, they just want things that no one else has or can afford.

Oh sure I get the bad taste conspicuous consumption - we get the Emirati young bucks shipping their gold plated Bugattis and Lambos over to London for the summer so they can triple park outside Harrods and go drink skinny iced lattes. Just in the ski world is anyone fooled?

Based on this forum I'd probably give anyone I saw on Renouns a nod of passing respect for knowing what's what. Those Foil monstrosities with the gold plated FKSs - hell no.

I guess if I ever had that wealth I'd be inclined to the privacy of a discrete Jackson Hole ranch and rocking up to the parking lot in a utilitarian truck rather than flaunting it and would get more buzz out of seeing my surplus wealth directed to opportunities for the less fortunate (easy to say given it will never happen).

OK maybe you got me - on reflection perhaps I'd look for an A Star and my own private tenure but I'd let some local kids have a free fly a few times ;)

TS
Joal

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
The graphics look a little too close to "Fail" or "Frail". Don't think I would want that on my skis.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Some of those skis look like ski logik's former offerings. IIRC they were pretty cheap too. Can't help but wonder if they would've stayed afloat a little longer if they charged more for their upper end wooden inlays, there were a beautiful ski to look at.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to push our boy @Cyrus Schenck and Renoun off of the list but this compilation is far from complete. Where are the two Kástle Limited editions? The MX 84 Limited at $1,699 flat and $1,949 with bindings and the MX88 Anniversary ski at $1,999 with bindings?
I'll fess I'm buying the Limiteds courtesy of Dawgcatching.

It's all relative. And who can define someone else's utility? As those who've been to my house know...I live modestly...certainly not to impress anyone but myself. In fact a certain person here thinks I live in a tear down. :) It makes me happy that he or she thinks that. I drive a 5 year old car I plan on keeping. I mow my own lawn, shovel my own driveway and sometimes clean my own house. The fact is I could afford to live differently but it's by choice and it makes me happy.

Do I need Limiteds? No. Can I afford them without my life changing in the slightest? Yes. 200 effers will be on them this year, I tried them last spring and I want to be one of those effers.

I know there are narratives about people that have been fortunate in life that are less than flattering and some are probably true in some cases. But others of us are grateful, modest and give back. I worked hard and took risks. I could have busted. I did bust in my initial career. Anyways I'd be more than happy to buy any of you that find yourselves in Park City a world class $40 lobster roll as I've already done.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll fess I'm buying the Limiteds courtesy of Dawgcatching.

It's all relative. And who can define someone else's utility? As those who've been to my house know...I live modestly...certainly not to impress anyone but myself. In fact a certain person here thinks I live in a tear down. :) It makes me happy that he or she thinks that. I drive a 5 year old car I plan on keeping. I mow my own lawn, shovel my own driveway and sometimes clean my own house. The fact is I could afford to live differently but it's by choice and it makes me happy.

Do I need Limiteds? No. Can I afford them without my life changing in the slightest? Yes. 200 effers will be on them this year, I tried them last spring and I want to be one of those effers.

I know there are narratives about people that have been fortunate in life that are less than flattering and some are probably true in some cases. But others of us are grateful, modest and give back. I worked hard and took risks. I could have busted. I did bust in my initial career. Anyways I'd be more than happy to buy any of you that find yourselves in Park City a $40 lobster roll as I've already done.
IMHO, you are getting something with these skis..they are not fluff. I have more of a problem with a product that is expensive for the sake of being expensive.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What were the expensive skis that were rails with cutaway center sections awhile back??

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What were the expensive skis that were rails with cutaway center sections awhile back??
Not sure but I do have cut a ways of these two Kastle's mentioned above.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Looks like a joke for the maggots who think anything under 190 is a girl's size.

Sponsor

Staff online