• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A safe vehicle or better gas mileage??? I got my answer yesterday

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love, love, love my Jeep Wrangler but I drive a lot between work and western Mass and Vermont every weekend in the winter plus numerous spring/summer and fall trips too so the Jeep's an expensive vehicle to have. However, I love it for 50 different reasons. I tend to get really attached to my vehicles but I'm also a thinker and love cars so just like to always think about what my next vehicle is going to be. In the past year I've become fascinated with the Subaru Crosstrek. I love the functionality of them, the sporty tires and just the overall way the body looks. Once I learned our skis will fit inside I got even more excited. A smoother ride, way better gas mileage, well win win right.

This was my thinking until yesterday when I was waiting at a stop sign yesterday to turn right onto the main road near my work when I felt the tiniest of impacts Yes it took a second to realize I was hit as the Jeep's THAT solid. I pulled over and the guy pulled behind me. He seemed to just have tapped my spare tire as there wasn't any damage to either of our vehicles. Last year a girl cut me off and it just scuffed my front bumper but the impact tore her rear bumper off. Once again Jeep Wrangler = built like brick sh!t house.

This really got me thinking that if I were in the crosstrek he surely would have damaged my car and then it would be a giant pain dealing with all the insurance stuff and my baby would be tarnished.

It made me realize that for me it's not about gas mileage, its about driving a vehicle I love that also has my back in an accident. My friend who has a Jeep had a car hit her and he looked at her and said well I know your vehicle's fine. I passed a jeep accident with another car and the car didn't fare so well. I'm not saying I'm accident proof at all but it feels good driving around in a vehicle that will likely be the victor in a collision.

I know Jeep's are a love them or hate them vehicle but I just thought it interesting I was hot an heavy for a Crosstrek Wednesday and then thursday am had my little accident. It's as is my Jeep wanted to show me why I shouldn't get rid of her just yet :)

Maybe I'll still get a crosstrek one day but for the unforeseeable future my Jeep love has been reignited and I love my smurph mobile now more than ever. Leather seats and Navigation are all that's missing from my Jeep so maybe I'll upgrade one day.

It's funny how a little event can change things.

Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While I understand what you mean, I wouldn't correlate body damage to a vehicle to safety. Part of the safety of a vehicle is often the way the vehicle absorbs an impact to keep the occupants inside safe. I would much rather have my front end or back end fold up to absorb an impact than have an impact throw me around inside because of no absorption.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I understand as I had a bad accident in my Nissan Sentra 7 years ago where I flipped and landed on my roof. While my car was totaled, I walked away with nary a scratch. Would I have fared as well in my Wrangler, don't know.

No vehicle is impervious to all crashes but Jeep Wranglers are one solid vehicle so the odds are pretty good that I'll be the larger vehicle in the crash so unless I do something stupid as a driver, the odds are I and my passengers will be fine. If I drove like an ahole and flipped on a corner, who knows how I'd fare. However, for daily driving and most crashes and accidents, I feel very safe. My Wrangler is a beast. I have a solid bumper in the front and rear plus a big a$$ spare tire in the back not to mention side step bars so I feel I have pretty good odds in the event of any kind of a accident.

I'm not saying I'm immortal, nor am I saying the Jeep is the best vehicle for everyone. All I'm saying that it's a very safe vehicle. Given the couple accidents I've had in it, accidents friends have had, and accidents I've seen all involving Jeeps, well let's just say Wranglers fare VERY well in crashes. I'd rather pay more in gas and drive a hella fun, winter driving machine, useful vehicle that will likely have my back in an accident over better gas mileage in another car.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I know someone told you skis fit in a Crosstek, but in 2016, mine didn't. I took them with me to the dealership, adjusted the front seat for myself, then tried to put the skis in the back. Only diagonally. Maybe the model got bigger? But I'm only 5'8". So, try it yourself first. I'm sure if my legs were shorter it would have worked, but that's why I adjusted the seat myself first.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know someone told you skis fit in a Crosstek, but in 2016, mine didn't. I took them with me to the dealership, adjusted the front seat for myself, then tried to put the skis in the back. Only diagonally. Maybe the model got bigger? But I'm only 5'8". So, try it yourself first. I'm sure if my legs were shorter it would have worked, but that's why I adjusted the seat myself first.

Diagonally is how they fit. I took my skis and physically put them in Terry's crosstrek and there seemed to be a ton of room to spare. Both seats folded down. In fairness I didn't sit in the front seat and move the seats to where I'd need them, etc. Terry's a little shorter than I am so not sure what position her front seats were in. That could make a difference too. Also, our skis range from 163-177 so I only put the 163cm ones in. You are right, I'd definitely need to do some more investigating before getting one :)

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The Alltrack you can bring your skis and three friends can come with you. Center pass through.

Well it's always just Michael and me so we rarely have anyone in the back anyway. I'm definitely open to other vehicles when I go that route. Not even sure what an alltrack looks like.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
IMG_20170301_113104_1488393982487.jpg
IMG_20170301_113122_1488393878311.jpg

Those are my winter wheels, not what the car comes with.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'd have to look into them. It's a nice vehicle but looks kind of Outback like to me. Has that station wagon look. Complete personal preference here. I'm sure it's a FABULOUS vehicle. I like the Crosstrek because it doesn't look like that to me. I'm ridiculously picky about what I drive. I'd have to sit in one and see if it speaks to me :). Nice color. Need to research more to see if I could even afford one. Not sure of pricing.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Well it's always just Michael and me so we rarely have anyone in the back anyway. I'm definitely open to other vehicles when I go that route. Not even sure what an alltrack looks like.

Have a look. If you are in the market for one, some dealers (regions) are offering HUGE discounts on them right now. SugarCube has had hers about 5 weeks now and loves it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Diagonally is how they fit. I took my skis and physically put them in Terry's crosstrek and there seemed to be a ton of room to spare. Both seats folded down. In fairness I didn't sit in the front seat and move the seats to where I'd need them, etc. Terry's a little shorter than I am so not sure what position her front seats were in. That could make a difference too. Also, our skis range from 163-177 so I only put the 163cm ones in. You are right, I'd definitely need to do some more investigating before getting one :)

I have an Impreza which is essentially the same as the Crosstrek, other than suspension. (I guess also some drive train differences in the newest ones.) It is a pretty small car, but my 190 skis fit fine in back with the front seats in a normal position. Back seats down, skis diagonal, suitcase put next to the skis through the rear door, bootbag next to the skis in the hatch. If you have two suitcases, one will have to go on top of the skis.

I think it is a very safe car in an actual crash, but for bumps and scrapes the front and rear body panels (I hesitate to call them "bumpers") are kind of fragile.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@mdf my friend Tracey and her parents have Impreza which T says is the Crosstrek without the price tag. I wasn't saying it's not a safe vehicle in a crash, I'm sure it's very safe in a bonafide crash. Good to know in an accident like yesterday that the imprezza bumpers are fragile. With my Jeep it was nada, not a thing as his car hit my spare tire. What first attracted me to the Crosstrek is the look but that I can get a brand new FULLY loaded crosstrek for the same price as a 3 year old Jeep Wrangler. Wrangler makes the cross trek look like an economy vehicle. I just like the body style of the crosstrek better.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Have a look. If you are in the market for one, some dealers (regions) are offering HUGE discounts on them right now. SugarCube has had hers about 5 weeks now and loves it.

On Crosstreks or the Alltrack? I talked to a subaru dealer yesterday. The fully loaded model I'd want would is very popular in these parts and needs to be ordered and it takes about 2 months. I'm not really in the market, was keeping eyes open and considering but after yesterday I'm realized if the Jeeps' only thing is poor gas mileage that I'm ok with that because everything else is perfect for me.

Good options out there it seems, cross trek, alltrack :)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yes, it's like the Outback in a way, but more fun to drive and not as large.

Volkswagen just got a great warranty for 2018 model year cars:

For the 2018 model year, most new Volkswagen vehicles in the United States will come with the People First Warranty, a six-year or 72,000-mile (whichever occurs first) bumper-to-bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which can be transferred to subsequent owners throughout its duration.

Doesn't apply to mine.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know you are in the New England area somewhere.....I just took a shot. Here is something from a dealer in Northhampton MA

http://www.northamptonvolkswagen.co...del=Golf+Alltrack&year=2017&gvBodyStyle=Wagon

While they may look like station wagons....they do NOT drive like one. Especially with a stick (if you can find one)

I'm in CT but I'm in northhampton quite a bit as it's about the halfway point on the way to Vermont. Really good to know. I'm curious now :). My guy is sorta looking around for a new vehicle to replace his rogue and he's been talking about getting back to VW. I'll mention this to him. For me I have to have a sunroof, that and I have a wishlist of a few other items. A fully loaded Jeep is pricey so if I'm sure I could build an alltrack with all the options I'd want and think I'd be comparable to a fully loaded crosstrek and still be boatloads cheaper than a Wrangler.

I'm not quite ready to give up the whole Jeep thing yet. It's a buddy thing, a bonding point, we wave to each other. I love it. Plus it's really a fun vehicle to drive I have bumper guards, it fares well in a crash so the only thing to "deal with" is the gas mileage which is fine.

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Here's a review of the Crosstrek where they mention the Alltrack.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...aru-crosstrek-comes-blizzard-ready/106753882/

"If you want a more engaging driving experience from a car-based crossover, the Volkswagen Golf Alltrack costs a bit more but also offers additional cargo space, quicker acceleration and more nimble handling. And if you want an inexpensive crossover with an off-road heritage, the redesigned Jeep Compass is a good choice."

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks. I have very meaty tires on my Jeep so I was bummed when looking at tires for the crosstrek. Tread wasn't deep and I became a little sad. Great write up on the alltrack. I'll have to look into tire options for the alltrack too. I love cars, which I could have 10 :)