• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

60 vs 70 Flex Kid Boot

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi -

Since I know very little about ski boots, I would welcome your thoughts on whether we should to go with a 60 flex boot or a 70 flex boot for my son.

- He is nine but on the smaller side for his age; currently 55 lbs and about 4'2" tall (likely won't be much bigger come ski season)
- He skied the Dalbello DRS Scorpion last season (60 flex / 20.5 size)
- He is a "good" skier - blues and blacks with some glades, double blacks and God know's what else thrown in there
- Will be mainly skiing in VT with perhaps a few days out west, so likely not too many days of deep powder
- Thinking to keep him on the same skies as last season; Rossignol Hero Kid X 110cm

The Dalbello boots were great last season so we were thinking of buying them again. We were just not sure if we should continue with the 60 flex this season or move up to the 70 flex. From what I can tell on the Dalbello website, there is little if any difference between the two boots other than the 10 point increase in flex.

Thanksogsmile

Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Flex ratings are very subjective and can be different between brands. You are correct in your statement that 10 point is probably not much difference. Since his ability level is increasing I'd opt for the 70 for whatever difference it does provide.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Flex is not standard across brands, but for context I see most race kids of that size still in 60 flex boots. Our daughter is just over 80lbs, a very, very strong skier. Podiums on the race course, can literally ski pretty much anywhere on the mountain (double blacks, chutes, the runs that say if you aren't an expert turn around, etc.) and we just moved her into a 70 flex boot. On that line we notice the 70flex boot she is in is Worlds different than the 60. The 70 is constructed like an adult boot and has most the bells and whistle of the higher flex rating variants.

Ultimately it's about being able to flex the boot, I personally like to see the kids to be able to jump up and down (flexing the ankle) in the boot without issues. Was a great link from one of the US ski associations in regards to proper boot fitting for juniors.

If your son can flex the boot easily at room temp, should be ok when it gets cold (plastics stiffen up in the cold). At the junior level, erring on the softer side is better than being in a boot that is too stiff.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fwiw, my daughter is the same height and moved up to 120cm skis this summer, made a noticeable difference in her skiing (not what you asked, I know, but I was surprised at what a big difference it made). In terms of boots I wouldn't rush to change the flex, my kid is in 65 flex boots & so is her older sister who is 10 (56 inches, 58 lbs).

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Flex is not standard across brands, but for context I see most race kids of that size still in 60 flex boots. Our daughter is just over 80lbs, a very, very strong skier. Podiums on the race course, can literally ski pretty much anywhere on the mountain (double blacks, chutes, the runs that say if you aren't an expert turn around, etc.) and we just moved her into a 70 flex boot. On that line we notice the 70flex boot she is in is Worlds different than the 60. The 70 is constructed like an adult boot and has most the bells and whistle of the higher flex rating variants.

Ultimately it's about being able to flex the boot, I personally like to see the kids to be able to jump up and down (flexing the ankle) in the boot without issues. Was a great link from one of the US ski associations in regards to proper boot fitting for juniors.

If your son can flex the boot easily at room temp, should be ok when it gets cold (plastics stiffen up in the cold). At the junior level, erring on the softer side is better than being in a boot that is too stiff.

Since it would be the same boot (Dalbello DRS) I am not as worried about the change in flex between brands as a I am in not making the mistake of staying with too soft of a boot or - worse yet - moving him up to a 70 flex too early.

And from what I can tell, there is little if any difference between the boots other than the flex, so he would not be gaining much else by moving to the 70 flex.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fwiw, my daughter is the same height and moved up to 120cm skis this summer, made a noticeable difference in her skiing (not what you asked, I know, but I was surprised at what a big difference it made). In terms of boots I wouldn't rush to change the flex, my kid is in 65 flex boots & so is her older sister who is 10 (56 inches, 58 lbs).

Thnx -

This will be his third season of skiing so we are trying to err on the conservative side of things. He started his first season on Rossignol Scan 90cm skis two winters ago, then moved to the Rossignol Hero Kid X 110cm last season. We were thinking that moving him to 120cm skis this season might be a bit rushed. East coast skiing is not always the "easiest" :rolleyes: - erring on a shorter ski might not be such a bad idea.

Perhaps we start off on the 110cm from last season and then in Jan/Feb move to the 120cm.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is also not uncommon for a child to stay in the same flex for more than one boot, they don't always develop strength at the same rate as the body grows, plus as the boot gets larger, it also gets a bit stiffer.

Also, becareful with sizing. Sizing a child up one size is a sub 20 boot is like proportionatly sizing an adult up two sizes, how would you fair skiing in a 28 when you normally ski in a 26, your foot would be bouncing around like a pinball..I understand the need to have room for growth but plan on one year for the boot, and maybe hope fo two. I will jokingly say, so do not plan on this boot getting him through his first marriage.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
It is also not uncommon for a child to stay in the same flex for more than one boot, they don't always develop strength at the same rate as the body grows, plus as the boot gets larger, it also gets a bit stiffer.

Also, becareful with sizing. Sizing a child up one size is a sub 20 boot is like proportionatly sizing an adult up two sizes, how would you fair skiing in a 28 when you normally ski in a 26, your foot would be bouncing around like a pinball..I understand the need to have room for growth but plan on one year for the boot, and maybe hope fo two. I will jokingly say, so do not plan on this boot getting him through his first marriage.

Thanks.

As tempting as it is to just buy the boots on-line and get it over with, I will take him to get fitted like we did last year (Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT). I am fairly certain that the same boots will work for him, but I am not at all sure what size he will be come December. He was a 20.5 last season and it worked well from start to finish, but he could be a 21 or 21.5 or 22. I just don't know, and like you point out, it gets tricky with kids as they are growing while you ideally want to find a size that will last through the 3-4 months of the ski season without being too large at first or too small towards the end.

I never had the idea that the boots would last two seasons - I was ok with even switching boots half way through.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks.

As tempting as it is to just buy the boots on-line and get it over with, I will take him to get fitted like we did last year (Boot Pro in Ludlow, VT). I am fairly certain that the same boots will work for him, but I am not be sure what size he will be come December. He was a 20.5 last season and it worked well from start to finish, but he could be a 21 or 21.5 or 22. I just don't know, and like you point out it gets tricky with kids who are growing as you ideally want to find a size that will last through the 3-4 months of the ski season without being too large at first or too small towards the end.

I never had the idea that the boots would last two seasons - I was ok with even switching boots half way through.

Before you trek up to see Shon, take his boots apart and just put the footbed up to his foot and see how it mirrors it. If there is still room at the end, you should be OK...to at least start the season. Do NOT ask him to try the boot on and ask "Does it hurt" or "Are your toes touching". Of course it does and of course they are. He has been wearing flip fops and oversized sneakers all summer and forgets that a ski boot will actually touch the foot. You need to take control of the sizing evaluation process. IF there is room at the end of the footbed, show him and say "see, we have room here", now have him put the boot on and buckle him up, have him flex forward, then and only say, do not ask..."See, you have room to wiggle your toes now...." if he doesn't he will tell you.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Before you trek up to see Shon, take his boots apart and just put the footbed up to his foot and see how it mirrors it. If there is still room at the end, you should be OK...to at least start the season. Do NOT ask him to try the boot on and ask "Does it hurt" or "Are your toes touching". Of course it does and of course they are. He has been wearing flip fops and oversized sneakers all summer and forgets that a ski boot will actually touch the foot. You need to take control of the sizing evaluation process. IF there is room at the end of the footbed, show him and say "see, we have room here", now have him put the boot on and buckle him up, have him flex forward, then and only say, do not ask..."See, you have room to wiggle your toes now...." if he doesn't he will tell you.

Makes sense. I'll wait a bit though before doing it. The longer I wait the more educated the guess will be whether he can start the season with the same boots or not.

Unfortunately there is no place to buy children's ski boots in NYC (just one place, Paragon, to buy adult boots) so making the trek to see Shon is basically one of the few options. But we don't mind, it's always a pleasure to deal with Shon and the guys at Boot Pro (and my wife always finds a thing or two, or three, or four to buy :().

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What can be of a bigger difference performance wise is moving from a kiddie boot to a "real" boot. Not familiar with the Dalbello-boot your son is in, but it sounds like he's size wise in the vincinity of making that move (around 22.5 mondo). Seeing a boot fitter is the best idea, as you plan to do.