• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still recovering from the broken rib, but was able to get my boots on today to wear around the house and work on the slant board some too.

Working on getting my weight on the downhill boot, keeping weight forward, angulating, and then tipping the skis for the next turn.

Slant board is set at 16*

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Still recovering from the broken rib, but was able to get my boots on today to wear around the house and work on the slant board some too.

Working on getting my weight on the downhill boot, keeping weight forward, angulating, and then tipping the skis for the next turn.

Have you tried the same thing, but with sticky shoes on an upside down Bosu? I've been playing with that. It's a good core workout, too! I put a bar stool in front of me as insurance. I'm thinking of sticking some skate board tape on the "bottom" to make it easier to get on and to stay on. My feet slip easily even with tennis shoes.

I know that it's a similar movement to skiing - because it causes the same feelings and tightness in my knee that skiing does =/

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
The good thing about broken ribs is that they only hurt if you breath.

uke

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you tried the same thing, but with sticky shoes on an upside down Bosu? I've been playing with that. It's a good core workout, too! I put a bar stool in front of me as insurance. I'm thinking of sticking some skate board tape on the "bottom" to make it easier to get on and to stay on. My feet slip easily even with tennis shoes.

I know that it's a similar movement to skiing - because it causes the same feelings and tightness in my knee that skiing does =/
I use a “1/2” gym ball (the kind with the flat side) for my unassisted squats (I hold the 90* knee angle for 2 minutes) and for my planks (I hold the plank for 2 1/2 minutes). I turn it upside down for the planks and put my elbows on the flat side. It is a lot tougher than on the flat floor.

The good thing about broken ribs is that they only hurt if you breath.

uke

Please don’t make me laugh ;)

Kidding aside, I am much better and nearly able to sleep on my left side.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use a “1/2” gym ball (the kind with the flat side)

This sounds like a Bosu to me.

27106141316795p.jpeg

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@HDSkiing
We are looking at houses in the Park City area.

Wife and I were looking in Utah. Down in the Cottonwoods. We'd even talked with the realtor about a house right across the street from Solitude. Then we started researching taxes, water/mineral rights, laws, etc. No domestic animals. Can't have your animals shitting in the watershed. We quickly changed our minds. The Nevada side of Tahoe is where we will reside. Taxes are great, especially for a veteran. We like the gun laws, etc. etc. Water rights etc., aren't impossible to get. Domestic animals aren't a problem. We're looking heavily in Incline Village and the areas along 431 west of 580. We're also looking down Washoe Valley, Zephyr Cove, Gardnerville, etc.

Good luck with your search!!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife and I were looking in Utah. Down in the Cottonwoods. We'd even talked with the realtor about a house right across the street from Solitude. Then we started researching taxes, water/mineral rights, laws, etc. No domestic animals. Can't have your animals shitting in the watershed. We quickly changed our minds. The Nevada side of Tahoe is where we will reside. Taxes are great, especially for a veteran. We like the gun laws, etc. etc. Water rights etc., aren't impossible to get. Domestic animals aren't a problem. We're looking heavily in Incline Village and the areas along 431 west of 580. We're also looking down Washoe Valley, Zephyr Cove, Gardnerville, etc.

Good luck with your search!!

As long as you stay outta CA that is an awesome area! We don’t have dogs so not an issue with domestic animals

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier

Have you ever been on a Skier' Edge? Little on the spendy side if you don't utilize it but a useful tool and helps with rhythm.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As long as you stay outta CA that is an awesome area! We don’t have dogs so not an issue with domestic animals
Not just dogs, we may get some horses. I like to wander off into the mountains with a winchester and a fly rod........
Have you ever been on a Skier' Edge? Little on the spendy side if you don't utilize it but a useful tool and helps with rhythm.

Awesome suggestion. I have the Big Mountain SE and I love it. Also use balance blocks.......

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I had seen it before, and it is super cool. Not sure about the price, but if I was skiing more than 20 days a year it would be a good investment I suppose. Might be a needed item when we move to a ski area.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I had seen it before, and it is super cool. Not sure about the price, but if I was skiing more than 20 days a year it would be a good investment I suppose. Might be a needed item when we move to a ski area.

I think you have this backwards. When you ski a lot and live near ski country, skiing is your training for skiing!

Question for those who have the skier's edge - how much benefit is there over something like doing back and forth moves on the Bosu? The skier's edge certainly keeps you safer / doesn't work your balance the same way ...

The first exercise here is what I mean:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While there are benefits to exercises in ski boots, there are also benefits to doing balance exercises barefoot or in soft soled shoes as there is less against the shoe/boot leverage possible. The Bosu ball is useful, particularly for one leg at a time stuff. I like turning 90 deg. while balancing on one leg, bouncing a 6 lb. ball, then rotating 180 deg. still on the one leg, throwing the ball into an inclined trampoline, catching it and repeating 10-12 times. Then other leg. Two sets.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
While there are benefits to exercises in ski boots, there are also benefits to doing balance exercises barefoot or in soft soled shoes as there is less against the shoe/boot leverage possible. The Bosu ball is useful, particularly for one leg at a time stuff. I like turning 90 deg. while balancing on one leg, bouncing a 6 lb. ball, then rotating 180 deg. still on the one leg, throwing the ball into an inclined trampoline, catching it and repeating 10-12 times. Then other leg. Two sets.

What intrigued me, playing with the Bosu, was that I developed the same tightness (bad) in my knee that I get when I'm actually skiing. Sadly, that's a pretty good indicator that the same stuff is going on. Now, whether that's because my usual skiing causes a certain reaction or because I'm bracing in a way I didn't before ... that I can't say. But it's definitely doing the same thing to my leg that my current skiing does.

When I picture the skier's edge, I can't imagine it causing the same behavior. I think it's the constant dynamic balance that does my knee in. More research is necessary.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wonder (because they don’t list prices on their website) how much a Skiers Edge with the canted foot bases and the long poles would cost?

OMG, just got the pricing info.

Essentially $4K to get it set up with the slope simulated foot bases and the poles.

I’ll stick with the bousa ball

Last edited:

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wonder (because they don’t list prices on their website) how much a Skiers Edge with the canted foot bases and the long poles would cost?

OMG, just got the pricing info.

Essentially $4K to get it set up with the slope simulated foot bases and the poles.

I’ll stick with the bousa ball

You can get them on sale- and yes the more crap you ad on the cost goes up. They are very muscle specific and use resistance bands that they recommend replacing every three to four years. Have the T5 Big Mountain Series. Just the basic set up. Think I got it during an off season sale for around $1800. Not the main focus of a work out but use it prior to weight session or to cool down after shorter runs, though it has been a primary tool in the past. These units are professional quality stuff. Would compare their construction to Life Fitness equipment as compared to mass consumer brands like Nordic track or Procor. (Geez- I sound like one of those ad guys!)

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@wyowindrunner

No doubt it is an excellent piece of equipment, The T5 is $2950, the slope imitating foot things are $450, the poles are $80

Taxes and shipping.... $4K

Not saying it is not worth it, but not to me at my current level.

To be honest, I think the $450 slope thing is a must have, puts you in the proper position to truly emulate skiing.

I can see the benefits of this system for sure

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can get them on sale- and yes the more crap you ad on the cost goes up. They are very muscle specific and use resistance bands that they recommend replacing every three to four years. Have the T5 Big Mountain Series. Just the basic set up. Think I got it during an off season sale for around $1800. Not the main focus of a work out but use it prior to weight session or to cool down after shorter runs, though it has been a primary tool in the past. These units are professional quality stuff. Would compare their construction to Life Fitness equipment as compared to mass consumer brands like Nordic track or Procor. (Geez- I sound like one of those ad guys!)
I have the S4 Big Mountain. Picked it up in excellent condition used for $650. Use it for a few months preseason every year and hit the slopes ready. Use it periodically during the season. I've been using it almost daily for a month now. It definitely targets skiing specific muscle groups. I've considered upgrading it to the bootmaster setup.