• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4-time Tour de France Winner Chris Froome Fails Drug Test

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I am sort of interested in how many daily drugs we take have prohibited ingredients for high level athletes.
Not defending or critiquing, just curious how much of this stuff is in our every day intake.

But I won't lose any sleep over it.

Try taking an whiff of US market Sinex then podiuming in Olympic slalom for starters.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Anyway if he stripped/ banned he can go back to being Kenyan. ;)

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Yep. Amazing how many of the most effective cardiovascular machines on the planet grow out of the most cardiovascularly disadvantaged population on the planet . . .
Or, on another tack, is exercise-induced asthma a real thing? Is it something that can affect normal people at some point in adult life under extreme physical activity that never had symptoms before?

Of course Froome claims to have had asthma since childhood, which goes along with your premise. Maybe he found out at an early age that asthma meds helped him to perform better at sports.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Or, on another tack, is exercise-induced asthma a real thing? Is it something that can affect normal people at some point in adult life under extreme physical activity that never had symptoms before?
Up front, I'm not a doctor or an elite athlete. Having said that, I used to play hockey outdoors sometimes in very cold weather and I did experience some discomfort from the cold air and breathing hard. Is that asthma?? They say exercise induced cold air asthma but I'm not sure that's a legit condition.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is really scary how much all of you know about these drugs ...
Its in the news, and has been for a very long time.
Also, there are several members here who've competed in a variety of sports at a very high level and have had to be informed about what goes into their bodies.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well as eleeski points out, where is the line between therapeutic use and performance enhancing..

Actually, I care only about the health of the athlete and could care less about performance enhancement.

Regarding asthmatic athletes, at young ages they were told to exercise for their health. So they got good at those sports. Some followed it to world class levels. Why do so many news anchors have speech impediments? Speaking lessons from a young age?

I'm torn about Froome. Is the reason for the limit a health limit or a point where it enhances performance? This is fairly common in the cycling world with penalties ranging from a year to nothing for Froome's levels. Nibili might have an issue - but he's asthmatic himself.

Unfortunately, my drug knowledge comes from the common drugs that could have helped me but WADA made it difficult to use them to best enhance my long term health.

Eric

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Its in the news, and has been for a very long time.
Also, there are several members here who've competed in a variety of sports at a very high level and have had to be informed about what goes into their bodies.
Yeah, like Blanton’s, Lagavulin, O’Dell’s....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Up front, I'm not a doctor or an elite athlete. Having said that, I used to play hockey outdoors sometimes in very cold weather and I did experience some discomfort from the cold air and breathing hard. Is that asthma?? They say exercise induced cold air asthma but I'm not sure that's a legit condition.

One of the first times I hiked was up to the Lake Chutes at Breck. I was embarrassed how slow I was and really pushed it. Sucking in huge quantities of very cold air was not good for my lungs. When I came home, I had a persistent cough. After a month of that, I got tired of it and went to the doctor. He prescribed an asthma inhaler, which cleared it right up. Only time in my life I've ever had asthma symptoms or asthma meds.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are plenty of asthmatic athletes in XC-skiing, swimming,cycling, running. If they had problems staying below the threshold of 1,000 nanogram level then the doping agencies would be drowning in positive test for salbutamol.

Your lungs do not "open" up any more because you do 5 inhaler puffs vs 25. Just does not work that way.

It's shocking though that Froome would make such a mistake. Everything he does (puts into his body) is meticulously controlled and thought through.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are some precedents for this, with both Ulissi and Petacchi receiving recent bans for excessive sal levels, so that doesn't look good for Froome.

Regarding LKLA's contention that "Everything he does (puts into his body) is meticulously controlled and thought through", I couldn't agree more, which brings up the highly unlikely, but still possible idea of him being sabotaged?

He and Skye just seem too darn smart, controlled, and micro-managed for this type of mistake.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm ready to just allow adults to freely access anything and everything that is available to the general public or prescribed by a licensed physician.
Thing is, it would be really really, and I mean really bad for everyone around ;) I have nothing against doping. I have been in all this long and deep enough to have no illusion any top level sport is clean or there's anyone in top 30 not taking stuff that's on prohibited list, but one thing that doping tests do is that doping, of course if you want to stay "clean" (read: undetected) is limited to expensive stuff, and normally requires some sort of doc to monitor most of it. This means it's at least somehow safe. If we make this open market, then people will be getting cheapest shit from internet, and there won't be race or competition, when there wouldn't be at least few guys dead during race. And noone really want to see something like this. But other the this, anti doping controls are joke, and as someone said, testing negative doesn't mean you are clean, it just means you are not completely stupid, as nowadays doping tests are more of IQ test (yours as athlete as well as you medic team) then anything else.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If we make this open market, then people will be getting cheapest shit from internet, and there won't be race or competition, when there wouldn't be at least few guys dead during race. And noone really want to see something like this. But other the this, anti doping controls are joke, and as someone said, testing negative doesn't mean you are clean, it just means you are not completely stupid, as nowadays doping tests are more of IQ test (yours as athlete as well as you medic team) then anything else.

Well, it already seems that there are current and retired pro wrestlers and football players dropping dead every other week as a result of CTE or long term adverse effects of pain meds. It seems that we've already been close to there for quite awhile. I don't see new methods doing much but sideline people temporarily then returning to the same risk exposure cycles. Even without the PEDs and pain meds, these folks are taking HUGE risks and even bigger risks to compete at the highest levels of these industries.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anybody else quietly watching this and giggling inside?? :popcorn: Feel like the Brits are circling the wagons..Lance is the devil..Froome is misunderstood..

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anybody else quietly watching this and giggling inside?? :popcorn: Feel like the Brits are circling the wagons..Lance is the devil..Froome is misunderstood..

As much as Lance doped, I think Froome surpasses him.

What a shame of a sport. Too bad.

Sponsor

Staff online