• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
New Format $399 Off-Kilter Terry TV 72.jpg
@Dave Petersen Artwork
Another season, and another chance to get the best ski deals out there. We contemplated what to do this year: should we continue our tried-and-true Steals & Deals, or mix it up? Well, we decided to do both. In fact, the industry kinda forced our hand with a whole new segment: skis that will be on your local wall for $399 MAP (minimum advertised price). We are seeing more and more brands enter this bargain (or should I say "entry") price class. Could this recent trend could start a mini-revolution and change how people buy skis?

It isn't so much that we are seeing skis under four bills; it is that we are seeing really good skis at that price, skis from Armada, Atomic, K2, Line, and Nordica ... big players, not no-names from fourth-world countries. These skis are good enough to make the average 10-day-a-year skier wonder, "Why should I pay more?" and (the question manufacturers really want), "At these prices, why should I rent?" The second question is addressed by these price-war skis; we will soon focus on the first question in the upcoming 2017-18 Steals & Deals.

Besides being great values for adults, any of these skis will look great under the holiday tree for little Jimmy (who isn’t so little any more) or Suzy (who outgrew her kiddie skis, and Mom's hand-me-downs are just soooo ... fill in blank). But with all their other expenses, Mom and Dad aren't ready to plunk down the money for most adult skis. Parents, look to this segment for an inside lane to the coveted "Coolest Parent Everrrrr" award*.

*Immediately revoked as soon as you do something lame, but hey, enjoy it for the nanosecond you have it.
Invictus_85.png
Armada
Invictus 85

Dimensions: scaled, 122-84-113@176
Sizes: 167, 176, 185​
Victa_83.png
Victa 83
Dimensions: scaled, 123-84-113@167
Sizes: 151,159, 167

This brother-and-sister combo takes the Invictus/Victa shape down to an entry price point. As versatile as the 87Ti and 89Ti are, some kids and lighter skiers did get overpowered; now, here is their ski. The only downfall I see is that I think the Invictus 85 should have been offered in a 159 rather than the 185 length; that skier will probably be better served skiing the 87Ti.​
18Vantage85.png
Atomic
Vantage 85

Dimensions: scaled, 125-85-109@173
Sizes: 157, 165, 173, 181
18 Vantage 85W.png
Vantage 85 W
Dimensions: scaled, 122-85-106@157
Sizes: 149, 157, 165, 173

The Vantage 85s are the most traditional of the offerings here. These have a nice shape and the most positive feel on the groomers, and will be a great choice for the skier who is coming back into the sport after taking a few decades off. The Vantages will hold their hands as they progress to a modern skiing style then still be their for them as the lightbulb goes off and remind themselves what a wonderful sport this skiing is.
18 Pinnacle 85 S&D.png
K2
Pinnacle 85

Dimensions: 128-85-112
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177
18 Thrilluvit S&D.png
Thrilluvit
Dimensions:128-85-112
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170

It is interesting to see K2 bring the Pinnacle this far down market and give the very popular Pinnacle 88 a red-headed crazy-eyed 85mm-waisted little brother; the same goes for the AllLuvit's little sister. These twins will raise some hell and could be the most versatile of this bunch. It's tough being all things to all people, but while the 85 and Thrilluvit share their shape with the rest of the Pinnacles, the lighter weight and more flexible core make them an ideal entry ski for newer skiers or those coming back into the sport.
18 SD88 S&D.png
Line
Sick Day 88
Dimensions: 127-88-113
Sizes: 165, 172, 179

The first major overhaul in the Sick Day lineup since it was introduced a few seasons back, this all-new collection is getting back to Line’s roots with fun, youth-oriented skis at a low price. Although it's the only one without a women's counterpart, the Sick Day 88 is a $399 model that stresses value. This is the one the kids will clamor for.​
NAVIGATOR_80.png
Nordica
Navigator 80

Dimensions: scaled, 119-80-104@180
Sizes: 158, 165, 172, 179​
ASTRAL_78.png
Astral 78
Dimensions: scaled, 114-78-99@158
Sizes: 144,151,158,165

The Navigator and Astral are part of two all-new ski collections from Nordica. Nordica took the best of its NRGy/Belle, fixed what was wrong by giving it the tip from the Enforcer/Santa Ana, and created skis with tails that finish a turn beautifully. The entry-level models, the Navigator 80 and Astral 78, are worthy contenders in the $399 price point segment.

*Note: Some of these skis are also "Steals & Deals", showing exceptional value beyond the $399 price point!

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Great list, and I love this class of skis! Very smart for companies to be making great skis in this price-point. I would like to mention the Volkl Revolt. $399 on the wall, and a pretty darn versatile ski! Adds an All mountain directional Twin-tip to the category as well. Crazy how they can engineer such a solid ski at this price point and still leave room for margins.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great list, and I love this class of skis! Very smart for companies to be making great skis in this price-point. I would mention the Volkl Revolt. $399 on the wall, and a pretty darn versatile ski! Adds an All mountain directional Twin-tip to the category as well. Crazy how they can engineer such a solid ski at this price point and still leave room for margins.
The entry level twin has been around for a while, there are even some $349 and $299 skis that are very respectable . The Revolt is a very well built ski although it is a directional twin, its suggested center mount does limit its versatilty.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Line
Sick Day 88
Dimensions: 127-88-113
Sizes: 165, 172, 179

The first major overhaul in the Sick Day lineup since it was introduced a few seasons back, this all-new collection is getting back to Line’s roots with fun, youth-oriented skis at a low price. Although it's the only one without a women's counterpart, the Sick Day 88 is a $399 model that stresses value. This is the one the kids will clamor for.​

If it's in line (heh) with Line's usual construction, I would imagine it will be just fine for women and girls. And I wouldn't call the graphics particularly male.

(Just calling this out in case someone googles their way into PugSki and thinks they have to buy women's skis for women. Not trying to start a discussion about it!)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The entry level twin has been around for a while, there are even some $349 and $299 skis that are very respectable . The Revolt is a very well built ski although it is a directional twin, its suggested center mount does limit its versatilty.

Some younger, more newschool-y skiers might argue that the other skis in this list have more limited versatility because they lack a twin tip and have too traditional a stance.

Point being; versatility isn't an objective category. It depends on the user.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Good - cut the aspirational BS and have a range of solid skis available for prices that are accedsible across multiple demographics. Won't solve much til there is solution to bridge the gap between bandit day pass pricing and good value season passes.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some younger, more newschool-y skiers might argue that the other skis in this list have more limited versatility because they lack a twin tip and have too traditional a stance.

Point being; versatility isn't an objective category. It depends on the user.

Good thought for some Pugski parents to take into account. (For the most part, the newschoolers themselves are probably not reading this, with all due respect to Phil.)

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How does the Pinnacle line compare to the Rictor line? Love my Rictor 90xti btw.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also interested, since I love my 82xTi's. Looking for a wider ski to replace the Hell'n'Backs I've made peace with but never loved.

Kind of agree. One of the few skis I've ever owned that I would call "overly energetic" (aka kind of undamped).

So many good skis in the ~100 mm market space. You'll find a keeper!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does the Pinnacle line compare to the Rictor line? Love my Rictor 90xti btw.

Also interested, since I love my 82xTi's. Looking for a wider ski to replace the Hell'n'Backs I've made peace with but never loved.
The Pinnacle line is a bit more all mountain, playful, where the Richtor is frontside biased.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
There doesnt seem to be much interest from US retailers in the Nordica Astral 78 . My partner was interested in trying this ski but it seems most places are only stocking the wider Astral models.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There doesnt seem to be much interest from US retailers in the Nordica Astral 78 . My partner was interested in trying this ski but it seems most places are only stocking the wider Astral models.
Well go in and start asking for it.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
I would if I could. I have asked a couple of shops via email but no luck .
We save up and come to the US every few years to visit family and ski. We were both hoping to try out skis and buy at the start of our skiing time so it looks like the Astral 78s will be off the probable list.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier

Thanks I appreciate your trying to help. I had located these sources but was really hoping to find a shop that had these skis for demo as this is so often recommended even for less accomplished skiers like us.
Phil, I like hot dogs but the furthest east we will be is Minnesota and that after skiing is done.

Sponsor