• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

3/4 base layer pants

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm on the search for a pair or two of 3/4 length base layer pants. I don't like hiking my current base layers up as they are tight around the calves and I don't like them down in my boots. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I've seen a few but the cost leaves me cold. Before I even get their warmth!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I have several pair Icebreaker Merino 3/4's in various weights that are great. If you can wait till the end of the season there are usually sales. Or scissors and some cheap base layers.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have several pair Icebreaker Merino 3/4's in various weights that are great. If you can wait till the end of the season there are usually sales. Or scissors and some cheap base layers.
I'll check in to those. I thought about scissors but the base I have are nice for other things. Hate to cut up good stuff!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd second Icebreaker, and add Smartwool. Both make them in merino, in various weights.

Pretty much all I wear. They hold up very well. Not cheap, but worth it, IMO.

Reactions: BC.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up a few pairs of the CW-X Insulator Stabilyx from Backcountry.com recently - looks like they're still on sale there for 20% off.

I’ve been wearing two pairs of these for 5 seasons. Well made, the compression is still the same as when they were new, and they’re barely showing any wear.

The initial purchase price is not cheap, but for me, they’ve been tremendous value for money.

Reactions: MWL

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Terramar Climasense 2.0 TR Base layers are dirt cheap. I have three-quarter length in both Terramar and Patagonia, and I confess that I like the Terramar better at less than half the price.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ibex Whoolies 2. Best base layer I’ve ever had.

Last edited:

MWL

Booting up
Skier
I’ve been wearing two pairs of these for 5 seasons. Well made, the compression is still the same as when they were new, and they’re barely showing any wear.

The initial purchase price is not cheap, but for me, they’ve been tremendous value for money.

Good to hear - I haven't used mine for skiing yet. Combining with Smartwool compression ski socks I just picked up too. Need as much compression as possible since dealing with edema from 2x tibial plateau fractures, torn calf, and a metal plate to hold it all together from Feb 2016. Hoping this combination will do the trick - so far so good when trying a dry run during inside training.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Helly Hansen makes a great 3/4 pant. I've been skiing in them the past few years and is my go to. I also have the Icebreaker 3/4 and like as well but prefer the Helly.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'll check in to those. I thought about scissors but the base I have are nice for other things. Hate to cut up good stuff!

You could potentially have a local dry cleaner with a tailor hem a pair into 3/4 if you have an excess of full length. Only issue is that the cuff won't have elastic like normal long underwear. Not a huge deal if you tuck into your sock. They just need to be long enough to do so.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I just use scissors on whatever I like. It would be nice to see more options in 3/4, but a ragged sawed off bottom doesn't seem to hurt anything.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
+1 for the Cw-X stabilyx Insulator. Depending on your size you can find them for a pretty good price on Amazon at times. If you don't want the compression, then I would endorse the terramar stuff which is often as good as gear with higher brand recognition.