• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2025 70th Birthday Bash

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
Greetings, a few years ago I asked for, and received some good advice for a New England ski trip. Now I am asking about the Lake Tahoe area. Next year will be my 70th birthday, and a ski bash seems warranted. This will be in March 2025. In attendance will be:

Me, skier, advanced intermediate, I like a wide variety of terrain, including bumps. Not a tree fan. If I ski in trees I want the trees to have an equal chance of getting hurt as I do.
My wife, artist and good sport, not a skier, so she will need some stuff to do, like galleries, libraries, walking trails.
My two sons, ages 37 and 33, both snowboarders, advanced but not up too often so not as aggressive as they used to be.
My older son's girlfriend, (We hope, we like her a lot). Skier. She says "long blue cruisers sound nice."
My daughter, age 28, lives in Brooklyn, NY. We hade a great time skiing blue runs at Killington.

So, we will need a rental that has 4 bedrooms and at least 2 baths. A village or town would be better than a resort area. My wife and I will be driving down from PDX, OR so we will have a car, and we won't have to be right next to the ski area. We will rent for a week, but I am not expecting that the younger generation will be there the whole time. They will all likely fly into Reno, and require some sort of shuttle. We all like to cook and eat so a well equipped kitchen is a must.

From my research so far, it seems Heavenly is the most obvious, especially since this will be the first time we have visited Tahoe in the winter. However, I don't always like to do the most obvious thing, so I am open to other ideas. I looked into Sugar Bowl and Boreal a bit. It seems Palisades/Alpine may be a bit too intense for us. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, James

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Question for you to think about.

Do you have a need to take the nonskiers to the resort area and meet up for lunch for example or do they want to stay home/ in town and do their own thing and just meet up after ski? Are they into other outdoor snow related physical activities ike xc skiing or snowshoe? Or don't want to be that cold

Is main focus on skiing so skiers are skiing every day and want to stay near the resort to maximize ski time. Or are you wanting to do at least a days off the slope and see the lake or mtn sights.

How important is nightlife and eating out vs cook in house and in bed by 9pm?

Sponsor

Staff online