• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2023-2024 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait ...... WHAT?!??! AM is closing this Sunday?? Not cool!!!

I'm pleased about the 8 AM opening time, though.
Seeing how many people are skiing right now, I can't blame them for closing one side or the other.

Mt Rose is closing Sunday too. They are hemoraging $$ right now.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Seeing how many people are skiing right now, I can't blame them for closing one side or the other.

Don’t forget, they already have our money.!
I am not complaining (maybe I am) that places are closing but there is still snow on the ground and making an effort to stay open is really their end of the unwritten deal when they take our money a year ahead of time. In fact they already have my money for next year!
My Epic Value pass has hardly been used. No real fault of Vail for a crappy early season but Kirkwood still has tons of snow & they are also closing Sunday but they are probably spinning it as an “extended season”!!! It is snowing now, haha!
If areas want to use the excuse that they are closing because of a lack of users, then go back to the days of affordable day tickets & limited season passes.

Just sayin’
;)

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
It is the same protocol in Utah where it happens at least a few times every season.
I am assuming nmi=nautical miles?
I have always heard “20 mile radius”.

I think people questioned Alpines hold yesterday because no one saw any lightning, heard any thunder & the sun was shining during most of the hold.

Today was mostly sunny till about 1pm when a few cumulus started popping up.
storm came in fast yesterday at Brighton . snow up high rainy mix in the parking lot . thunder was rumbling but Brighton kept the lifts spinning. i took off. no thanks . when i passed Solitude they were shut down .

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Yeah, the more things change, the more they stay the same; same as it ever was. It didn't use to bother me so much when I was still hiking for turns. I'm just whining at the moment because I think they're closing the wrong side.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not complaining (maybe I am) that places are closing but there is still snow on the ground and making an effort to stay open is really their end of the unwritten deal when they take our money a year ahead of time. In fact they already have my money for next year!
My Epic Value pass has hardly been used. No real fault of Vail for a crappy early season but Kirkwood still has tons of snow & they are also closing Sunday but they are probably spinning it as an “extended season”!!! It is snowing now, haha!
If areas want to use the excuse that they are closing because of a lack of users, then go back to the days of affordable day tickets & limited season passes.

Just sayin’
;)
I'm wondering if it has more to do with staffing. I've noticed Rose is missing several of their all-season lifties and I'm sure other staff are moving on to their summer jobs. I'd be happy if Rose shut down the Slide side (it's getting roasted anyway) and keep 4 or 5 of the main runs on Rose side open, one lift, no food or beverage. Minimal staff. Just until mid or late May if they can.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Just sayin’
;)

I hear you - my money goes to those staying open the longest (and normally, to a small place, too, to support independent areas). So, Ikon has been consistent in staying open as long as possible in the Palisades complex, and later at Mammoth, and gets my megapass money. As opposed to Epic. I'd rather vote with my wallet.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'm wondering if it has more to do with staffing.
Another well used excuse!
Sure some employees move onto other jobs they have already committed but some would luv to keep working & management should have the skills to fill in some spots ;).
During my 40+ years in the ski industry I always would have wanted to continue working. I had a summer business but we didn’t open till Memorial Day weekend. After my ski area job ended I would either find a ski camp to work for, buy a Spring Pass somewhere or just ski the backcountry.
Rose could get by for a few weeks with just Northwest.
Kirkwood Cornice/chair 6
Alpine, Summit Chair
etc.
A few lifties, mechanics, patrollers, groomers & you’re good to go!

I hear you - my money goes to those staying open the longest (and normally, to a small place, too, to support independent areas). So, Ikon has been consistent in staying open as long as possible in the Palisades complex, and later at Mammoth, and gets my megapass money. As opposed to Epic. I'd rather vote with my wallet.
Same here. My Epic & Ikon passes are strictly for shoulder seasons.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd be happy if Rose shut down the Slide side (it's getting roasted anyway) and keep 4 or 5 of the main runs on Rose side open, one lift, no food or beverage. Minimal staff. Just until mid or late May if they can.
I agree with shutting the Slide side but F&B is where they can make money on the pass holders, there is never not some people in the bar once it opens. I think they could do the Thur-Sun for another 2-4 weeks ... conditions permitting of course.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another well used excuse!
Sure some employees move onto other jobs they have already committed but some would luv to keep working & management should have the skills to fill in some spots ;).
During my 40+ years in the ski industry I always would have wanted to continue working. I had a summer business but we didn’t open till Memorial Day weekend. After my ski area job ended I would either find a ski camp to work for, buy a Spring Pass somewhere or just ski the backcountry.
Rose could get by for a few weeks with just Zephyr.
Kirkwood Cornice/chair 6
Alpine, Summit Chair
etc.
A few lifties, mechanics, patrollers, groomers & you’re good to go!

Same here. My Epic & Ikon passes are strictly for shoulder seasons.

Not Zephyr. Slide side melts off too quickly and turns to slop and glop.
NW and Lakeview could spin easily for a bit longer.
I agree with shutting the Slide side but F&B is where they can make money on the pass holders, there is never not some people in the bar once it opens. I think they could do the Thur-Sun for another 2-4 weeks ... conditions permitting of course.
I agree. I also wonder if its a mistake to not have the bbq going at Slide for the pond skim tomorrow. It's crazy that they won't have food open there for the pond skim.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I ended my early this morning post about yesterday at Kirkwood with "I plan to be at Alpine Friday and Palisades Saturday." Not sure whether it was serendipity or worse problem, but I ended up back at Kirkwood today and it was great! I had a delay due to a self-inflicted vehicle problem that required professional help and resulted in ~45 minute delay after I was packed and ready to go. I decided to return to Kirkwood as phone said it was 15 minutes closer than Palisades. I called friend who had put me up a couple of nights there last week and this week before he came down with a cold. He requested meds so I had more delay getting something close to what he wanted at CVS. I dropped meds and picked up the coffees and board game I'd left at his place. It was 1030 before I started skiing after moving cones to get into last spot in VIP lot. Photo taken during lunch. 8936Lunch@126.JPG
The only place I had snow on the road was after turning off CA-88 into Kirkwood. They reported 1" new, but it snowed all day so it was great that I'd been there 3 days both last week and this week and knew where it was rocky and where there was lower angle smooth snow to ski what ended up being about 4" new. It was my first powder day since March 30 at Alpine. Some of Kirkwood's Palisades at 11:45.
8934Palisades@1145.JPG
Outer Palisades at almost 3.
8939OuterPalisadesJustBefore3.JPG
I had three laps into both Eagle Bowl and Palisades where I had posted picture on friend skiing Thursday AM. Lower Eagle Bowl at 3:15
8944EagleBowl@315.JPG The low angle exiting Palisades and other runs were great. There were very few tracks in many places and in the afternoon I was no longer hitting hard layer underneath. I quit not much after 3:30 and made it to CVS to get meds friend wanted from pharmacy that I will drop off Sunday on way to Kirkwood's closing day.

Visibility was marginal on and off all day. After lunch break at car, liftee told me I'd missed 30 minute closure on Cornice and Wall due to lightning in area. I had skied before lunch without facemask which hurt when some graupel fell in morning.

I made it to SLT Lakefront hot tub after getting meds friends wanted from CVS nearby. It was high 30s and snowing.
8946HotTubView.JPG
Hwy 50 between hot tub and cabin at 530.
8950Hwy50Snowing@530.JPG

Keys2Ski

Short-n-Sweet
Skier
I had a great week with Phil and Tricia staying at chez ziggy

Andy was gracious enough to gather me and my plethora of luggage at Reno airport, packing for a 3 week excursion ( Alta/bird, Lake Tahoe, Phoenix)

we skied palisades, alpine, mt rose for 6 days straight.

weather was good, friends were great, food was phenomenal, drinks were endless….

I try to butter up my hosts(pun intended) with gifts before my arrival. stone crabs claws, key lime pies, and multiple versions of Papa Pilar rum were delivered ahead of my arrival(well the rum was another story)

I was surprised to find a slice of pie still available for consumption upon my arrival. The stone crabs were unfortunately, consumed immediately(as expected)!!!

The first few days of shared accomodations with @UGASkiDawg and spawn were fun. The humor of “Blazing saddles” movie, I believe was lost on spawn, but the rest of us laughed along, quoting old lines. Oh, the days of yore!!

Gypsy and I had some intimate talks, and some bonding moments. She’s a unique dog and I will miss our chats. Tule and Pondo kept me active with their relentless pursuit of stuffed animals, frisbees, and bouncy lighted balls, even though I throw like an old lady (not a girl) now, they did not care, too much.

Yes, I realize this should be a trip report of snow/ski conditions, but I prefer to share my relationships with friends more, because afterall, isn’t that what makes a ski trip all the worth while!!

PS: saw Wayne Wong ( whom I skied with on my birthday last July in mammoth ) and also skied with “the most interesting skier”(to me) and his wife: @KingGrump

overall, another great spring ski week in the Sierra nevadas with awesome people. Until next time, tips up!

Sponsor

Staff online