• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are correct. Breakfast is always fine. GMD doesn't include lunch, although you can buy it in the cafe downstairs. 4:00 snack is also great. So, yes, dinner is the crux. And if last year was my first year, I would have been satisfied but not wowed. I have been wowed in the past. At least in a relative sense. (Those 10 year anniversary dinners at l'espalier are hard to beat)(and I still dream about the wild mushroom soup that I had at Jasper's).

I went to a wine tasting at l'espalier but haven't had the pleasure of dinner. Jealous.

dondenver

Putting on skis
Skier
Ahh...GMD. After a youthful history of stays there with friends blowing the doors off the place - I figured a wanted poster is still up. Therefore, we'll Blackjack this stay. Yup that's me; all grown up, married, and in disguise ;)

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the list!
Staying at the GMD
@Blue Streak (Monday-Fri) I want to be there when the huge storm comes in on Monday night:snow::crossfingers::snow:

It worked for me last season. I arrived on Sunday afternoon. We got 4" overnight and another 17" fell during the day on Monday. In the woods off of Wildcat it was up to my knees. Heaven on earth!

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK lodging is all set. Fly into Salt Lake, pick up 4 wheeler, over to Ogden Best Western Plus for the 3rd, 4th, check out the 5th. for the Snowbasin days. Then I've rented a house right at Wasatch Blvd and Little Cottonwood Rd. in Cottonwood Heights for the 5th through the 12th. I am totally stoked. I got the whole house for a lot cheaper than the little rooms that were still available at GMD or the Peruvian and it's 4 times the size of the couple hellgate apartments that remained. It also gives me more than enough room in case any of the kids and grandkids decide to make the trip. (I've 6 kids and 13 grandkids)....... The house is setup for 12 guests.

So now I've booked the whole Thanksgiving weekend at Killington for the WC. I've booked the Utah Gathering. I've booked the Peter Glenn Snomass Demo Days Trip too. It's going to be a good winter!! Looking forward to seeing everyone out there.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Rossignol E100 have serious backbone. I have some 190s I could bring.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got a newsletter from GMD mentioning them working on the food (emphasis mine):

As of 9:00 a.m. this morning, we've calculated 71 sleeps until the scheduled opening date at Alta Ski Area. That's only 1,704 hours or 10 weeks and one day. To some of you that may seem like a while, but to us it indicates that winter will be here before we know it. To us, it says, it's crunch time.

Summer Project Recap - We've had a busy summer at the lodge working on maintenance projects that range from roofing to plumbing.
  • We are excited to provide access to HDTV in all guest rooms as well in the Saloon.
  • We'll have a new hydration station and ice machine easily accessible to the guest rooms.
  • We've gone back to the drawing board on both service and cuisine in the Top of the Lodge dining room and look forward to elevating your dining experience.
  • We are excited to announce the return of our Girls Getaways at Goldminer's Daughter Lodge. Getaway to Alta with the Girls December 15-17, February 5-7, or April 2-4.
We've recently posted a blog post outlining these projects in more detail as we wrap up our summer work. As always, we look forward to welcoming you to the Lodge this coming season. The countdown is on.

Let it Snow!

Jenn & Ross

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I got that as well. Made my reservation and will stay at GMD, unless we end up traveling with a dog.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Airlines and lodging booked for the 4 of us, MCP purchased, now to plan the Jackson and Sun Valley leg which will be Kath and I 'cause the kids got to go back to school and work. At last, kids gotta work while the parents play. :roflmao:Tentatively planning for a Sugarbush mid-week visit over son's semester break if conditions are good in mid-January. Heading up to Laurel. my crazy place, to clear some glades over 3 weekends this fall. Getting just a bit stoked. :daffy:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
MCP purchased; TYO-SLC flights booked, March 1~18; lodging booked 3/1-2, 3-4, 5-10; car rental TBD.
Still pondering 3/11~17 possibilities: Telluride/Aspen (drive); Jackson Hole/Sun Valley (drive); Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows (drive or fly); Taos (fly & drive); Red Mt/Whitewater (fly & drive); or, just stick with Cottonwood canyons for second week.