• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 New England Gathering trip report

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Placeholder thread for the New England Gathering trip reports, pictures, etc.

Wishing all the attendees safe travel travels to the wilds of Northern Vermont and I look forward to seeing you all!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I featured this on the front page with an image I took at MRG last spring, since that is the kick off ski area for this event.
I will update the photo as they come in.
IMG_4786.JPG
IMG_4784.JPG

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful, beautiful day at MRG today. Sunny and right around freezing. Skied 20K vert. I did mostly stick to the groomers, which aren't as limited or uninteresting as I may have been afraid of. There are an awful lot of bumps and tree areas though.

Did a few short bump shots, and it reminded me that I still have a lot of learning to do when skiing eastern hardpack, compared to some of the bumps I found in Utah! :eek::D

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
First day of the N.E. gathering at MRG.
20180323_123959.jpg

Just off the single lift
20180323_141536.jpg

@dbodesto showing his colors
upload_2018-3-23_17-20-53.jpeg

Single and double chair in the background. Only lifts running today.
upload_2018-3-23_17-23-28.jpeg

Water/ice fall on way back to the house
upload_2018-3-23_17-26-28.jpeg

The day started off well. Blue skies. 10 folk at the morning meet-up. (will edit in the names later)

First run off the double lift, groomers all the way down.

Second run off the same lift. Suggested small bumps. About half way down the group dropped into more than small bumps. 5 turns in, right leg didn't veer left, tweeked the groin. :philgoat:Leafed my way down the mogul field while everyone else waited. Managed down to the lodge for some drugs and a coffee while everyone else soldiered on.

Was able to get in a few more runs on groomers; had to pay attention and think (yes, two difficult things for me out on the slopes), but there was NO WAY I was going to leave MRG without riding the single lift and getting some runs off the top. The prime reason I came up for the weekend was to get up to the top since the only other time here the single lift was closed for high winds.

Back to another round of icing...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The snow must have been close to perfect today. Glad you guys had a nice day down there.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Really fun day at Mad River today. Found some nice sun-softened bumps and some nice trees. Yes, I said there were some nice trees. Snow cover was awesome, although there are a few bare / icy spots. Hey, it's Mad River! We don't need snow!

Bump shapes were atrocious -- these things were squares in places. Ugh. But we found some really nice lines as well.

Had a ride with a new forum member Michael who said he'll probably go by MrgMike. Mike knows MRG really well and gave some good suggestions for runs.

Snowbowler also made an appearance... was good to see him again. Thanks as well for the guiding!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah some bumps at stowe require the "terry Barbour" technique of navigating them, but once you are able to do that they are quite easy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Awesome so far!!! I love MRG!!!

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_4932.JPG
Souvenirs from Mad River
The slate coaster is quite nice, made in VT. That's what the single chair looks like up close. The bar/foot rest swings in. I saw a guy go up holding his young daughter, with skis on, in his lap. That's a first. The chocolate is made by Nutty Steph in Waterbury. Paradise is the trail from the top skier's left. It had some spots of interesting conditions. It wouldn't have been my 1st choice for my 1st run in a week on unknown skis. But, "Ski It If You Can", and there's only one way to find out.ogsmile

IMG_4913.JPG
One by one they go up. I'd forgotten there's a mid station too. My foggy memory thought the other main chair was a fixed quad. Nope. It's a Noah. Two at a time.
IMG_4915.JPG
Upper Chute. The snow was pretty good. Chalky. Spots of patented Mad River solid clear ice. Some large. Not the yellow man made ice. Organic, free range ice. The rocks had their say too.

The quite good coverage there was slaughtered by...World's Most Horrible Moguls. Downhill slope to the bump? - Just chopped straight down by the 10 to Monty Python Guillotine dropping out of the sky. Just unreal. Are people bringing huge snow saws and cutting the round parts off? Square bumps, triangular bumps, Great Wall of China bumps. Just ghastly.

How? It must be the boarders! Wait, there are none here. They're poaching after closing? Yeah, they hide in the woods, then come out after sweeps and destroy the round bumps.

The answer came from...well to protect a whole group, we'll leave it annonymous. On another part of the mointain off the double, the Sunrise chair. More horror bumps. "What's going on with these bumps? They're terrible."
Guy in a chair on the snow observing:
- "Short skis...And the telemarkers."
Aha! Now it made sense. Who else makes 180 degree turns constantly. Just sawing away any hope of a nice round bump.
The interim solution should be to ban them. Do it for a month. See what happens.

IMG_4916.JPG
@Tony S about to go over the waterfall on Paradise. Some beautiful views from this mountain.

IMG_4919.JPG
The crew waiting and looking for carnage. Paradise.
@Tony S, @Scruffy ,@JohnL , @ Snowbowler (epic), @mdf.

IMG_4921.JPG
Skis of the day. Demo, Liberty Origin 90, 179. Pretty good ski for the day. Solid, good shape. Little clunky, side of beef with crispy bacon.
IMG_4922.JPG
@JohnL on Lynx/Beaver.

IMG_4925.JPG
We decided this trail was a lot like trails in Palli at Abasin. Not as steep. But on this one you could never see what was coming. This was an open spot. @mdf

IMG_4923.JPG
Tony S and mdf.

IMG_4926.JPG
@LiquidFeet , @SKI-3PO , @KevinF in a clearing on Lynx/Beaver. Today was not too hot, not too cold. Very limited melting. They're might be an inch of new tonight. Could use 6.

IMG_4930.JPG
Pub at base 5pm. @mdf and I skied till they closed the chair. Our last run was to be a groomer off the top. A cool down run. We took Antelope. Where it meets chute at the single midstation mdf has stopped. The moguls below there were much better than the horror show above. "You want to do that, don't you?"
"Yeah. Ya think?"
"I think we have too. Well were going too anyway."

So much for the groomer cruiser into the lodge. Nice skiing under the single with no one on it. It's an odd space under the single. They're not that far away, then there's one at a time instead of a whole busload above you. And the one behind can hear also.
Sometimes they talk directly to you. Like when your standing on the rock or ice cliff, trying to figure a way down. "That's a great line below!" I've already looked, it's a cliff. But maybe I was wrong, I look again. "Yeah, that's great," from the lift.
Nope, still a cliff. He must be that guy that yells "Jump!" when he sees someone on a roof.
I manage a path between the rocks, dirt and over something that stopped growing months ago.

There's a silence to the single. With that you can have a brief interaction with someone above. There's a window because it's not a fast chair. (I wonder if in 10 years MRG will be the first to put in a detachable single. Probably cost as much as a six pack since it has to be engineered from the ground up)

One of the conversation windows opened with a kid on the single and apparently his brother next to us, playing the role of Jackie Gleason as he opens the apt window in Brklyn and yells out "Norton!"
Brother next to us yells up something about chicken and waffles. Seems the one in the air doesn't want it. I enter the conversation, addressing the brother in the chair, "You don't like chicken and waffles?"
What comes back is some mumbling and then "I want a fried waffle!"
Well. Here I was after hacking my way down through the field of horribly misshapen moguls, completely unaware that fried waffles even existed. But now I knew. Because of the single chair. Better get down now to the cliff where the guy above told me to jump...

Great Day at Mad River Glen!
Never know what you'll find there. Always interesting.
Thanks to everyone who came out. Fun times.

Last edited:
TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
yeah some bumps at stowe require the "terry Barbour" technique of navigating them, but once you are able to do that they are quite easy.

You can give us a primer on the Terry Barbour bump line at Stowe tomorrow... unless you've put in some work on rounding out the bump lines for us. :D

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I havent had time....

I am actually home sick today :( hoping to be able to make it to the gathering.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The answer came from...well to protect a whole group, we'll leave it annonymous. On another part of the mointain off the double, the Sunrise chair. More horror bumps. "What's going on with these bumps? They're terrible."
Guy in a chair on the snow observing:
- "Short skis...And the telemarkers."
Aha! Now it made sense. Who else makes 180 degree turns constantly. Just sawing away any hope of a nice round bump.
The interim solution should be to ban them. Do it for a month. See what happens.

The answer is neither. I have seen good skiers on FIS Sl and short Stockli SC ripping the bumps without butchering them. See my share of good tele dudes in the bumps too. The correct answer is bad skiers that suck in the bumps. Their turns do not sync up with the terrain. They usually panic and turn too quick and knife the sh*t out the nose of the bump. Enough of those bad skiers and the downhill side of the bumps get truncated.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
The answer is neither. I have seen good skiers on FIS Sl and short Stockli SC ripping the bumps without butchering them. See my share of good tele dudes in the bumps too. The correct answer is bad skiers that suck in the bumps. Their turns do not sync up with the terrain. They usually panic and turn too quick and knife the sh*t out the nose of the bump. Enough of those bad skiers and the downhill side of the bumps get truncated.

This theory make a lot of sense to me...... until I recall that the worst shaped bumps I've skied were at a mountain with a pretty high average skill level, and they were over the entire mountain not just the 'easy' areas. Taos.:huh:

Edit: Just took stock of what thread this is. Sorry for the drift.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
why would you ski on the downhill side of the bumps anyways? I only ski on the uphill side of the bump...