• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well the whole point of GripWalk as opposed to WTR is that GripWalk doesn't need a toe-height adjustment, therefore the sliding AFD on the '17-18' Pivot Duals will work the same in Alpine mode for ISO 5355 soles and GripWalk soles. Correct me if I'm wrong @Philpug, but I think I finally understand all this nonsense. The manufacturers have not made it easy, but the consolidation next season to GripWalk only will help. Is there a reason Look still hasn't listed the 12 and 14 Duals as GripWalk compatible in Alpine Mode on their website? It would clear things up...
No, that is not the whole point of GripWalk being the standard over WTR, but it played into the decision. IMHO, emphesis on the "M", with Tyrolia being the last to decide it was the axe for WTR. My second "M" was Look hedging their bets with the Dual binding that it would be GripWalk compatible in it's design.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
No, that is not the whole point of GripWalk being the standard over WTR, but it played into the decision. IMHO, emphesis on the "M", with Tyrolia being the last to decide it was the axe for WTR. My second "M" was Look hedging their bets with the Dual binding that it would be GripWalk compatible in it's design.

Right. Not as simple as I seem to have implied. This whole process of the industry consolidating around one of the standards is fascinating to me. I'm just glad it seems to be decided. Better for consumers.

pile

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've noticed a small issue with the current year Pivot 14 Dual WTR bindings.

The sliding AFD doesnt seem to reset itself in one direction. ie. without the boot in the binding, if I slide the AFD to one side, it correctly resets back to the middle when I release it. But when I slide it the other way, it just stays where it is, it does not spring back to the middle when I let go. I assume this is an issue with some spring underneath the AFD but I haven't looked too close yet.

It's something I have to stay aware of when I put my boot in as it has sometimes slid out and stayed out while clicking my boot in.

I can take some pictures later tonight if that helps. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing with these toe pieces and how easy of a fix it may be.

Thanks in advance for any help!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The sliding AFD doesnt seem to reset itself in one direction. ie. without the boot in the binding, if I slide the AFD to one side, it correctly resets back to the middle when I release it. But when I slide it the other way, it just stays where it is, it does not spring back to the middle when I let go. I assume this is an issue with some spring underneath the AFD but I haven't looked too close yet.

It's something I have to stay aware of when I put my boot in as it has sometimes slid out and stayed out while clicking my boot in.

I can take some pictures later tonight if that helps. I'm just wondering if this is a common thing with these toe pieces and how easy of a fix it may be.

I have seen that happen on many bindings with sliding AFD's. A little light grease in the track can help.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anyone notice?

140f634a-017b-4883-a24c-12a955502b41-AP18053155174027222.jpg

140f634a-017b-4883-a24c-12a955502b41-AP18053155174027.jpg

gilgamesh0

Booting up
Skier

I just received some Pivot 12 Duals new in the box, tried sliding the AFD to either side on each binding. It does indeed seem to catch in place in one direction periodically, seemed to get better after cycling the first few times but def does still happen. I can see the little spring surround a little nub of plastic, it seems almost like there's enough play in the track that sometimes the spring gets caught up inside somehow against it's normal orientation in there. (Bit of a chintzy feel to that part of the binding perhaps, honestly.) Didn't examine it all that closely though.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I certainly noticed.

The first two runs though were not great advertising with the pre-releases-- pretty obviously a case of poorly adjusted forward pressure. I cringed before the final run of the video shot of tech cranking the DINs to high heaven.

With my injury, I spent way too much time watching the Olympics while everyone was else was skiing! I would have thought a tech at this level would know better about cranking up the DIN, but Pivot arms are a little more tricky to adjust forward pressure. Those Forza's are pretty new, right, so maybe didn't have that dialed in yet.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
With my injury, I spent way too much time watching the Olympics while everyone was else was skiing! I would have thought a tech at this level would know better about cranking up the DIN, but Pivot arms are a little more tricky to adjust forward pressure. Those Forza's are pretty new, right, so maybe didn't have that dialed in yet.

Only the color has changed with the Pivot 18. And the Pivot arms are not at all difficult to adjust the forward pressure with. Someone simply dropped the ball...

#bringbackthe15

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Only the color has changed with the Pivot 18. And the Pivot arms are not at all difficult to adjust the forward pressure with. Someone simply dropped the ball...

#bringbackthe15

I don't ski a Pivot 18, just Pivot 12, but when I adjust the forward pressure, that cheap little plastic "indicator" doesn't register any change until you really turn the screws on the arms, and even then it seems highly variable in its read-out. To me, this is the one feature of the Pivot that needs to be addressed. Such a great binding should allow for finer tuning of the forward pressure, whether is 12, 14, 18, or the mythic 15.

For your sake...

#bringbackthe15

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I don't ski a Pivot 18, just Pivot 12, but when I adjust the forward pressure, that cheap little plastic "indicator" doesn't register any change until you really turn the screws on the arms, and even then it seems highly variable in its read-out. To me, this is the one feature of the Pivot that needs to be addressed. Such a great binding should allow for finer tuning of the forward pressure, whether is 12, 14, 18, or the mythic 15.

For your sake...

#bringbackthe15

You don't make the adjustment with the boot 'in' the binding. Pop out the boot and make an adjustment evenly to both sides. Then click in and check it. Repeat as required.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You don't make the adjustment with the boot 'in' the binding. Pop out the boot and make an adjustment evenly to both sides. Then click in and check it. Repeat as required.

Yeah, I know. I didn't say anything about a boot. :rolleyes:

This doesn't change the fact that the forward pressure indicator needs an upgrade. I know I'm not the first to suggest this.

gilgamesh0

Booting up
Skier
I'm seeing a small issue w the pivoting heel on my now-mounted Pivot 12 (which otherwise was great my first time out!). There's a black plastic piece curved around the back of the heel area up against a vertical white plastic piece. That white piece keeps the heel from pivoting fully freely -- it keeps some pressure against the black piece, which must rotate against it when there is enough pressure to do so.

But I realized one of the heels was pivoting freely, because the curved black piece was riding *above* the vertical white piece (not being pressed against by it). It looks like that happened because one of the little rivets/extensions at the end of the black piece holding it in place is missing/torn out, which seems like it allows it to get pulled above the white plastic when it is rotated fully out -- and at that point, it will just start pivoting freely. (I pushed it back in place on mine, but I imagine it can get pulled above again when it rotates fully out.)

Anyone ever seen that black plastic at the heel have this issue before, or had to replace it? Hoping it might be something that can just be replaced/snapped back in vs requiring the whole heel part to be replaced and remounted.

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Can the SPX 12 Maxflex be mounted flat or does it require the plate? Is it just a case of using shorter screws? Or is it preferable to go with the SPX 12 dual?
Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can the SPX 12 Maxflex be mounted flat or does it require the plate? Is it just a case of using shorter screws? Or is it preferable to go with the SPX 12 dual?
Thanks
Technically it requires the plate but I have heard of a few mounting them directly onto the ski. I am not sure of the change in screw length.