• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Kästle MX89 vs 2018 Renoun Z-90

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
MX89 vs Z90.png
Both of these skis figure prominently in my article on once-in-a-decade skis. While the MX88 was referenced in that piece, the MX89 is its newest incarnation. If you haven’t noticed, the Renoun Z-90 has gotten a bit of support here of late; it is the golden child of Pugski and deservedly so, as it is a damn fine ski.

The Kästle MX89 is indeed a timeless ski. The beauty of the MX89 is in its quality of craftsmanship and its smoothness on snow. There is a feel that no other brand has been able to duplicate, a feel that is inherent in every MX I have skied. The MX89 is damn near perfect; I don’t think Kästle would or could do anything to make it better with today's technology.

I am running out of accolades for the Z-90. I am sorry, but the ski is indeed that good. Quite frankly, a ski that sells for almost $1,400 should be that good, but what makes it so good can actually be felt. Let your Everyman try a $120 bottle of scotch next to a $40 bottle and he probably couldn't tell which was which, but even an Everyday Andy can get on the Z-90 and say, “Thanks a lot, you just ruined me for any other ski.” From then on, all that skier will be able to think about is the Renoun Z-90 and "Would the spouse notice if I did sell our firstborn?
  • Why choose the MX89? Old-world tradition. It is the skier's version of a Porsche 911. There is a quality that cannot be duplicated. Kästle: there is no substitute.
  • Why choose the Z-90? Cyrus says, “Rules are meant to be broken.” Every once in a while something unique and special comes along. The Z-90 is that special something.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If you were looking specifically for a ski that handles wide open high-speed groomers (Snowmass) like the Monster 98 or the E100, would either of these be a better option?

snofun3

Booting up
Skier
Meh, in 2 years let's see if Renoun are flavor of the month (season) vs Kastle, or not. Having many decades in this sport, I've seen so many GREAT improvements become a distant memory versus a quality product, so let's see what the story is on Renoun (if indeed there is one) in a couple of years.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Meh, in 2 years let's see if Renoun are flavor of the month (season) vs Kastle, or not. Having many decades in this sport, I've seen so many GREAT improvements become a distant memory versus a quality product, so let's see what the story is on Renoun (if indeed there is one) in a couple of years.
This is why we fall in lust with skis...not in love with them.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier

While a "great improvement" might become a distant memory, that improvement may potentially, and dramatically contribute to the future of ski ( or other) technology.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you were looking specifically for a ski that handles wide open high-speed groomers (Snowmass) like the Monster 98 or the E100, would either of these be a better option?

Given the two skis you mention, I'd think you'd prefer the Kastle if you prefer the M98. If you wanted more the feel of the tighter turn radius of the E-100, then the Renoun.

FWIW, the Renoun in 180 skis/feels a bit shorter than the 180/182 E100, so if you're a big guy and ski the 184 M98 or 190 E100, you may prefer the longer (188?) MX89.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Everyday Andy...heh heh!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
A relatively uninformed 0.02 in reply to the second post. Both Kastle and Renoun stand out from the rest by their dampening. Renown uses the magic compound, Kastle uses a full rubber layer in the ski construction. Both work and make the skis damp. The difference is that castle also has metal and Renoun I believe does not. So I strongly suspect Kastle edge hold will be superior when it matters. Becuase of the lack of metal, Renoun is lighter, so you have to decide what matters to you. For groomers I would pick the Kastle any day. Also, the quality of the Kastle materials will make itself known down the road.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A relatively uninformed 0.02 in reply to the second post. Both Kastle and Renoun stand out from the rest by their dampening. Renown uses the magic compound, Kastle uses a full rubber layer in the ski construction. Both work and make the skis damp. The difference is that castle also has metal and Renoun I believe does not. So I strongly suspect Kastle edge hold will be superior when it matters. Becuase of the lack of metal, Renoun is lighter, so you have to decide what matters to you. For groomers I would pick the Kastle any day. Also, the quality of the Kastle materials will make itself known down the road.
Did I get you on the Z90 in the 180 or just the 174? IIRC, you did ski the Z77 in the 180...you need to ski the Z90 in the 180. :drool:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The difference is that castle also has metal and Renoun I believe does not.
Renoun has a full layer of titanal. That layer of metal was one of the concerns with the 157; it was just so stiff at that length that it was hard for smaller, lighter skiers to flex it. For us, um, gravity challenged, it is a blast.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Renoun has a full layer of titanal. That layer of metal was one of the concerns with the 157; it was just so stiff at that length that it was hard for smaller, lighter skiers to flex it. For us, um, gravity challenged, it is a blast.

A layer of metal makes a ski stiffer torsion-ally, but does not contribute to longitudinal flex. Fibreglass layup, core material, sidewall material and type of sidewall construction are factors in ski longitudinal stiffness.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A layer of metal makes a ski stiffer torsion-ally, but does not contribute to longitudinal flex. Fibreglass layup, core material, sidewall material and type of sidewall construction are factors in ski longitudinal stiffness.
I keep learning. And forgetting. And learning again!

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Both of these skis figure prominently in my article on once-in-a-decade skis. While the MX88 was referenced in that piece, the MX89 is its newest incarnation. If you haven’t noticed, the Renoun Z-90 has gotten a bit of support here of late; it is the golden child of Pugski and deservedly so, as it is a damn fine ski.

The Kästle MX89 is indeed a timeless ski. The beauty of the MX89 is in its quality of craftsmanship and its smoothness on snow. There is a feel that no other brand has been able to duplicate, a feel that is inherent in every MX I have skied. The MX89 is damn near perfect; I don’t think Kästle would or could do anything to make it better with today's technology.

I am running out of accolades for the Z-90. I am sorry, but the ski is indeed that good. Quite frankly, a ski that sells for almost $1,400 should be that good, but what makes it so good can actually be felt. Let your Everyman try a $120 bottle of scotch next to a $40 bottle and he probably couldn't tell which was which, but even an Everyday Andy can get on the Z-90 and say, “Thanks a lot, you just ruined me for any other ski.” From then on, all that skier will be able to think about is the Renoun Z-90 and "Would the spouse notice if I did sell our firstborn?
  • Why choose the MX89? Old-world tradition. It is the skier's version of a Porsche 911. There is a quality that cannot be duplicated. Kästle: there is no substitute.
  • Why choose the Z-90? Cyrus says, “Rules are meant to be broken.” Every once in a while something unique and special comes along. The Z-90 is that special something.
On Dec. 31st 2018 I got to ski the Kastle MX89 in a 180 that I purchased used a few months ago. It was partly cloudy and 25 degrees. I was skiing semi soft groomers with light ice patches and some chewed up corderoy on the groomers. I have owned and do own quite a few top rated expert skis. I immediatley fell in love with the MX89. It felt like this ski was made for me and my skiing style. It all just felt good on this ski. I am 5'9" and 250 lbs and an expert level skier. I now gravitate more to cruising. This ski does it all for me. Very good carver but also very good in everything else that I like to ski. It also does short radius turns very well for me. Cannot report on powder. I would not expect it to be a great powder ski but perhaps it is. This one is a keeper that imparts immediate confidence and comfort for me with little regard to a speed limit.

Sponsor

Staff online