• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
After Demoing the Monster 98's (177cm) I want them. Such an awesome ski for me. Felt intuitive, responsive and I didn't have to think, it just worked. The question is whether I should get the 184cm or the 177cm. I own the 88's in 184cm and like them but the 177's might be better for the trees.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you like what you demo'd, you're done shopping. I have a pair of 184 '15-'16 98's.... great ski, but need to wear my big boy pants for sure. ogsmile I haven't skied the 17-18 yet. If it's a bit softer, I'm sure they'll be even better... for me at least.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you like what you demo'd, you're done shopping. I have a pair of 184 '15-'16 98's.... great ski, but need to wear my big boy pants for sure. ogsmile I haven't skied the 17-18 yet. If it's a bit softer, I'm sure they'll be even better... for me at least.

For me at least the 177 98's were super easy to ski. Didnt have to think really. Would have loved to be able to test them on steeper terrain and in the trees. The 184's might be way different? Just feeling the flex of the ski the 17-18' model I skied felt the same as the older models. The 88's might be a tad softer but not much (compared to the ones I have)

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
After Demoing the Monster 98's (177cm) I want them. Such an awesome ski for me. Felt intuitive, responsive and I didn't have to think, it just worked. The question is whether I should get the 184cm or the 177cm. I own the 88's in 184cm and like them but the 177's might be better for the trees.

I feel you on this conundrum. I think that the 98 is one of those skis where you might want one pair of each size (only half kidding). For bombing groomers at Snowmass, I definitely want the 184's. For trees or shorter turns, I want the 177's.
I guess it boils down to the type of terrain you will be skiing the most. Either way, you'll have a great ski.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yep... good summary.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied the Titans today for the first time at Sugarbush. Natural snow and machine groomed man made snow. They are very smooth, friendly, and responsive, and I am gonna really like them once I recover more from my various injuries. The latest injury is a sprain of my right peroneal tendon/ligament — it is hampering my ability to tip my right foot when making right turns. Caught a tip 3 times at the same point in the turn and went down. Ugh to that.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Skied the Titans today for the first time at Sugarbush. Natural snow and machine groomed man made snow. They are very smooth, friendly, and responsive, and I am gonna really like them once I recover more from my various injuries. The latest injury is a sprain of my right peroneal tendon/ligament — it is hampering my ability to tip my right foot when making right turns. Caught a tip 3 times at the same point in the turn and went down. Ugh to that.
If the Titans came with the PRX12 binding try moving both the toe and heel one or two notches forward you may not catch the tip and because the binding is so easy to reposition you could always move it back.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the Titans came with the PRX12 binding try moving both the toe and heel one or two notches forward you may not catch the tip and because the binding is so easy to reposition you could always move it back.
Yes it is the prx 12 binding and I guess that it is worth a shot. I know that they are easy to adjust, but I have never done it on these bindings. I assume that it is pretty self explanatory when I look at them...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes it is the prx 12 binding and I guess that it is worth a shot. I know that they are easy to adjust, but I have never done it on these bindings. I assume that it is pretty self explanatory when I look at them...
Yes, very easy a lever on the toe and a lever on the heel. The track that they sit on is labeled with BSL sizes. If your binding was set up correct the center line on the boot should match the mounting line on the ski, look at the boot when it is in the binding before you start and move the toe and the heel the same amount. I have the same bindings on my Head Rally and I think I moved them up a notch. It works better on the east coast hard pack/ice.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Make sure you understand how to adjust the forward tension. It's a small critical bit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That sounds like a miserable injury. Hope you heal quickly, especially since ski season is upon us.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, very easy a lever on the toe and a lever on the heel. The track that they sit on is labeled with BSL sizes. If your binding was set up correct the center line on the boot should match the mounting line on the ski, look at the boot when it is in the binding before you start and move the toe and the heel the same amount. I have the same bindings on my Head Rally and I think I moved them up a notch. It works better on the east coast hard pack/ice.
Moved the bindings up a notch today - it sure seemed to do the trick. It may be another day on the snow, placebo effect, or maybe it is just amazing what a 2mm adjustment would do, but I will take it!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I skied the Kore 105, 180cm today for the first time in 15-20cm (6-8") of fresh powder. Very smooth ski and quite stable when the snow got cut up.

More snow predicted for tomorrow and tomorrow night so I will probably bring out my Kastle BMX 108, 178cm for the first time this season for a bit of a comparison.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just to add, I used my Monster 88's (184cm, 16'-17' model) a lot the past week in Beaver Creek. Absolutely loved them on steep runs cold chalky snow and bumps. Felt so secure even at speed. They dealt with the occasional ice on steeps very well (Golden Eagle race course) wow. They also slayed shallow crud like nothing. I did get a small core shot but overall they are VERY durable. Just a close to perfect resort ski for mostly piste skiing (groomed and un-groomed). Roughed up groomers? No problem. They were not good for deeper resort powder (~8"), my Moment Deathwish (190cm) absolutely ruled the resort powder days. I could just charge through anything. Just concentrated on turning and the ski took care of the variations in snow and terrain. The Moments do like speed, a lot, but on hard snow they can get a bit sketchy although they hold but are just not as smooth as the heads which is expected given the huge design and construction differences.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Quick Review - '17/'18 Head World Cup Rebels i.Speed Pro, 180 cm.

Cheater GS (18m) ski, insane amount of fun carving off big turns and not-slow speeds if you're in to that sort of thing. (See ya, I gotta go do another run...)

Anyway, what was going to be a couple of runs at DV in my first morning there (after tearing around for the 3 previous days on my pair of iRallys at PCMR) turned into two days on them. They release quick enough you can bang out a few short turns if needed, but they're really aimed at mid- and larger-radius turns. For reference, I'm about 5'10" these days and around 180 lbs, if you're a bigger skier you may not need to work them so hard. Their race heritage is apparent as they seemed to want to pitch me if I even thought I might at some point maybe want to get in the back seat... NO! OK, so they're not leisurely cruisers, but I knew that going in. Glad I got them? Oh my yes. Smaller radius than my Volkl RaceTiger GS (non-FIS, 185cm, 23m), so more "practical"... :roflmao:Oh, sorry, I kill myself sometimes. Anyway, easier to thread your way downhill without having to come perilously close to slow moving traffic. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to race them, yet. Back in a month so I'll try again. At PCMR the race staff was busy with Intermountain championships and NASTAR was closed.

I swapped them for a pair of Stockli AX skis that @Lorenzzo was riding for a run, different ski but similar thinking. Chime in if you want!

And, as maybe known, Phil and Steve Mahre are skiing on these at present.

andrewd

Hold on.. I'm trying to plan a trip
Skier
Just bought the Kore 93s at a local end of winter sale and while I’ve only gotten to test them in early spring conditions out here in the northeast, I absolutely love them. @Philpug you recommend mounting them back 1cm and I’m just curious why you felt that. 2 days on them isn’t much but I didn’t feel the need to change the mounting point at all.. but then again I didn’t get them into any powder yet so I can’t really speak to that.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just bought the Kore 93s at a local end of winter sale and while I’ve only gotten to test them in early spring conditions out here in the northeast, I absolutely love them. @Philpug you recommend mounting them back 1cm and I’m just curious why you felt that. 2 days on them isn’t much but I didn’t feel the need to change the mounting point at all.. but then again I didn’t get them into any powder yet so I can’t really speak to that.
Mounting them back can give you a bit more power...but this ski on the line, is just fine.

Sponsor