• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
I am intrigued by the Titans. I followed @Lorenzzo ripping on them, and boy, did he dance with that mountain. He actually described them almost identically to the review by @FairToMiddlin . Amazing carvers that will take on variable snow with surprising versatlity.

Lorenzzo actually suggested those for me as I focus on improving my technique. I have Dynastar PTs 89 for soft snow.

He does prefer the previous (2015-2016?) Version of the titans though.

I looked online and didn't find any end of season blowout deals. But I will keep looking patiently.

I will also look into the competition. Are there any worthy competitors in that non-premium price range?

Thanks for any thoughts!

The incoming Titans are ridiculous, they possess versatility and good snow feel and excitement that is very hard to find in one ski, especially for less than Stockli money. I own the previous generation Rally, the narrower 77mm brother, and they do not quite compare (they're for sale, cheap!). If you are hoping for a carver that can stretch into off-piste, look no further, there isn't a non-premium (including its previous generation) ski that comes close.

Okay, the Blossom White Out is as good, but it is hard to find, and a bit more expensive... :beercheer:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The incoming Titans are ridiculous, they possess versatility and good snow feel and excitement that is very hard to find in one ski, especially for less than Stockli money.

Definitely wanna demo the Titans next season. I have been really impressed by Head skis. Wanna test some more!

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
:yahoo:I just took a set of the i.speeds on their maiden voyage this morning. If your looking for a serious carving ski look no further. The grin is still on my face:D They go up on edge soo easily and are exceptionally stable @speed tho they certainly did not require speed to carve tight short turns if asked to do so. The ice this morning was handled just as well as the schlopy stuff later on with ease.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The incoming Titans are ridiculous, they possess versatility and good snow feel and excitement that is very hard to find in one ski, especially for less than Stockli money. I own the previous generation Rally, the narrower 77mm brother, and they do not quite compare (they're for sale, cheap!). If you are hoping for a carver that can stretch into off-piste, look no further, there isn't a non-premium (including its previous generation) ski that comes close.

Okay, the Blossom White Out is as good, but it is hard to find, and a bit more expensive... :beercheer:

Thanks much for the thoughts! Ski models always confuse me, since they span two years in the Northern hemisphere. But, that aside, is the 2017/2018 (the upcoming generation) different from what's been sold this season? (2016/2017). I actually thought the Titans started a new generation for 2016/2017, and I would be surprised if they would change again for 2017/2018. But maybe they did?

Cheers!

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks much for the thoughts! Ski models always confuse me, since they span two years in the Northern hemisphere. But, that aside, is the 2017/2018 (the upcoming generation) different from what's been sold this season? (2016/2017). I actually thought the Titans started a new generation for 2016/2017, and I would be surprised if they would change again for 2017/2018. But maybe they did?

Cheers!

You recollect correctly, they are a carryover. I used them as my benchmark ski for demoing this year, they were a known quantity.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You recollect correctly, they are a carryover. I used them as my benchmark ski for demoing this year, they were a known quantity.

Thanks a lot! Just in case I find something on sale. How would you compare it with the previous generation Titans, if you also tried those? (I know you mentioned the Rallies) Thanks in advance!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

17-18 has some NGT.

Snowcat

Booting up
Skier
For someone's who's agnostic to the turning radius difference between the Supershape Rally and the Supershape Titan (most recent models of them):
- which one would you guys say is more forgiving?
- which is easier to bend and workable for lighter weight skiers and / or occasionally slowing down and skiing with kids?
- which does better in afternoon crud / chopped up snow?

Thanks!

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
There's a lot of instructors who use the rally's so I think that speaks volumes about the versatility of them. As for being able to bend them, you shouldn't have any trouble with any of the supershape line.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ah, but what length?

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Ah, but what length?

Bob, it depends on what you want it to do for you: the 170 will be an 'easy SL', similar immediacy from your inputs, but you can use it on more of the mountain. The 177 is a safer bet for a travel/truck/OSQ ski, but still super responsive. The first time I was on the current 177 was Mother's Day last year, and I was sure I was on the 170 until I looked down at my heel and saw '177' on the topsheet.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob, it depends on what you want it to do for you: the 170 will be an 'easy SL', similar immediacy from your inputs, but you can use it on more of the mountain. The 177 is a safer bet for a travel/truck/OSQ ski, but still super responsive. The first time I was on the current 177 was Mother's Day last year, and I was sure I was on the 170 until I looked down at my heel and saw '177' on the topsheet.
So, what I am interested in is an eastern ski that I can cruise around on and take into tracked up crud when it presents itself and bumps when they appear to be user friendly. You have seen me ski, so I think you have a sense of what I can handle. FWIW, I have the Motive 95 in a 180...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Your size and weight?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
5'11" 175lbs Level 8 skier. Took out the Rallys and found them a hoot. Looking for just a scootch more versatility. Those 1/2 price Laser AXs are tempting, but I may have a line on the Heads.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe I'm missing something, but get the length you demo'd.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only demoed the Rallys, not the Titans. Otherwise, I agree with you!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@bbinder The 175 Lasers are gone but I know there still are titans and possibly rallys at the 50% off sale. Since its not a publicized sale, let me check to see what's allowed to be posted up.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Bob, get the 177 Titans, they are not beastly; rather, they have the fore/aft forgiveness (in crud, for example) of a length you are familiar with, and you will be shocked by how they respond vis a vis the WC SLs you own. Like your Motives, they don't have a mean bone in them, but they do encourage you to stretch your idea of what is possible. I'd love to see you on Titans outside of GMD next year, which means you will have already been on them a bit back East. They are the most impressive narrowish rec ski I have been on in the last half decade; I'll buy them off of you at Alta if you aren't happy with them. :beercheer: