• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Head Power Instinct Ti Pro vs 2018 Völkl RTM 84 UVO

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 7.00.38 PM.png
While system skis have fallen out of favor in some markets, they are still sales leaders in others, and there are some very good skis in the low- to mid-80mm segment. I am not using the Monster 83 in this cage match, as requested by @markojp, but instead its system twin, the Power Instinct Ti Pro; it is the same ski as the Monster 83 but with the PRD 12 MBS system binding. I felt this would be a better comparison with the RTM 84 UVO.

Both Head and Völkl take different paths to achieve their goals of offering best-in-class performance. With the Power Instinct Ti Pro, Head does what it does best: makes a quality ski that skis fantastic without relying on bells and whistles. The Power Instinct Ti Pro offers just what you would expect from Head, smoothness and stability from a traditional sandwich construction that is infused with Graphene and has a slight bit of tip rise. The PRD 12 MBS binding accepts DIN, WTR, GripWalk and touring boot soles.

The Völkl RTM 84 UVO is a technologically advanced ski. 3D Ridge, check. UVO, check. WideRide XL bindings, check. These are not just buzzwords; they are technologies that work. Starting with the 3D Ridge, Völkl has successfully created a construction that reduces weight and mass but not at the cost of performance or integrity. For this year, Völkl modified the 3D Ridge by expanding the fiberglass into its sleek sidewalls. The UVO (Ultimate Vibration Object) brought over from the Racetiger collection helps keep the skis quiet on the snow, and the WideRide XL bindings were reengineered to accommodate GripWalk boots.
  • Why choose the Power Instinct Ti Pro? You are looking for the utmost in stability. The Head is uber-smooth and traditional in feel, and it gives you the option of using any boot sole. For those who want their choice of binding, there is always the Monster 83.
  • Why choose the RTM 84 UVO? Ease … wait, what, ease with a Völkl?? Surely I jest. I jest not. These new RTMs possess the best balance of ease and performance that Völkl has ever offered in this range. While you might not have the option of WTR or touring boots, the RTM 84 UVO is one of few system skis that offer a 14 DIN binding for bigger skiers.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Fwiw, this season's RTM 84 is the first RTM that jumped out and spoke to me. They're a really nice ski... easy, but not at all boring. The perfect first date with real books on their bookshelf as well! I could happily have a pair of these.

The M83/P.I. and M88... What's to say? Traditional, versatile.... the 'roleur' of skis. Think Johann Museeuw. No idea if he's a reader or not, but the man was a classics beast.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Think Johann Museeuw. No idea if he's a reader or not, but the man was a classics beast.

True, and the classics are and have been so much more interesting than the Grand Tour races of the last however many years.......

On to skis -- I loved the M88s, but after reflection I have to admit that I seldom ski at speeds that really wake them up anymore. Still will almost certainly come down to that ski or the ProMtn 86.

With current PNW weather, plenty of time to wait for the post-Christmas sales.

Let's hope I don't have any more dry time than that to wait!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
On to skis -- I loved the M88s, but after reflection I have to admit that I seldom ski at speeds that really wake them up anymore.

With current PNW weather, plenty of time to wait for the post-Christmas sales.

Let's hope I don't have any more dry time than that to wait!

The beauty is that you don't need to ski them fast. It's sort of the ultimate one ski western teaching quiver ride.

Sales start in mid/late Feb. There'll be plenty of snow between now and then. ogsmile

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The beauty is that you don't need to ski them fast. It's sort of the ultimate one ski western teaching quiver ride.

Sales start in mid/late Feb. There'll be plenty of snow between now and then. ogsmile

I'll have to ski them once more. I found them a little blah on groomers until over 30. As you pointed out previously, that may have been a lousy tune on the demos.

Let's hope this is our usual January drought, and that I'm complaining again about driveway shoveling/snowblowing while wallowing in pow a month from now!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid