• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2018 Head Kore 93 vs 2018 Head Monster 88

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a size run in the shop. They're gone. More in the warehouse and on the way.

Seems destined to be the case this year.

My Head guy actually texted me the other day "don't wait too long if you want Cores", followed by "damn spell check".

Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seems destined to be the case this year.

My Head guy actually texted me the other day "don't wait too long if you want Cores", followed by "damn spell check".

I actually said that here about the Kore 105, but it is just as applicable here.

• Insider tip: Don't wait, they will sell out early.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I just got off the phone with the Head rep for western Canada and he said the Kore 93 is sold out. They might have next years Kore 93 early in 2018. So at least in Canada whatever is in shops or in transit to a shop is it. There are no shop reorders or skis for shop employees like me.

I am torn between waiting for next years Kore 93 or contacting the Nordica rep and ordering a pair of Enforcer 93 skis.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just got off the phone with the Head rep for western Canada and he said the Kore 93 is sold out. They might have next years Kore 93 early in 2018. So at least in Canada whatever is in shops or in transit to a shop is it. There are no shop reorders or skis for shop employees like me.

I am torn between waiting for next years Kore 93 or contacting the Nordica rep and ordering a pair of Enforcer 93 skis.
That was fast. Not surprised at all though.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That was fast. Not surprised at all though.

It is surprising for a ski that is brand new to sell out so fast. Being a new model means a limited number of people have got to ski it. This suggests the power of word of mouth especially via the internet.

Or Head Canada Inc. (and maybe the Head factory) completely misjudged how many Kore skis the shops would order. Everyone at our shop that got to demo the Kore 93 and 105 loved them. We had a free Head demo day with the Head rep last March and the first guy that we put on the Kore 93 180cm, instead of bring them back after a few runs he kept them all day!

The Head rep also said that he was averaging a phone call a day from ski shops looking to reorder and he unfortunately can't fill the orders.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It reminds me of year one of Enforcer. Nordica had high hopes and blew right through them. Warehouse empty of all stock before Thanksgiving. I can't recall when they geared up more production, but I knew dealers trying to trade stock to satisfy customers based on ski size.

Based on the spring, I think all indications were strong. That is despite some of the Kore ski lengths not being available to test.

I hear that a boatload of the short lengths were ordered and sold along with race skis via Head race for kids. Should be a good ski in the short lengths. I'm interested in a 193cm 93, and the 105 but not really willing to fly blind. And probably to late. I also can't get my kind of deal when dealers want every ski they can get to sell at MAP, or more. Fully understand and agree.

Head to seems to have it dialed in. The Kore is a different ski than the Monster, but the new Monster should appeal to a bigger audience that the former ski, at least in the 88 and 98. The now "old" 88 of last year is a favorite of mine. Own it in a 184cm. Will be interested to see the changes. I'm fine as is.

Nice to see a new ski like the Kore generating so much excitement. From all that I hear, the word "playful" to differentiate it from the Monster is in play. Still a lot of ski that can do so much under the feet of a good skier.

So. Many. Good. Skis.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got off the phone with the Head rep for western Canada and he said the Kore 93 is sold out.

This seems to be "the" magic width Kore. The 105 and 117 get high "like" in reviews, but the 93 gets LOVE!

Maybe a good fall to get a good deal on Enforcers!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This seems to be "the" magic width Kore. The 105 and 117 get high "like" in reviews, but the 93 gets LOVE!

Last season in our shop the Nordica Enforcer 100 was the first model to sell out. I thought the Enforcer 93 would follow suit but it didn't.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can we have this guy become a regular Pugski tester? I was :roflmao:

I get the humor here, but honestly, I think it comes from a really crappy translation of (possibly) a Polish video review.

Let's not be the UAs.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

And this is why we say magazine ski reviews are dead. :roflmao:

They're both equally good skis, just a different role in a potential quiver.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get the humor here, but honestly, I think it comes from a really crappy translation of (possibly) a Polish video review.

Let's not be the UAs.

Not sure the translation is the issue here. I can mute the video and still come to the same conclusions.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, I think REI might have bought up most of this year's production run of Kore 93s.

If you're a member, it's a great way to get 10% off a HOT ski.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Also, I think REI might have bought up most of this year's production run of Kore 93s.

If you're a member, it's a great way to get 10% off a HOT ski.

REI may have bought many, as many as Head might sell them, but Head has a big a demanding dealer network that they HAVE to feed. It gets spread around. Ski companies have been very smart to spread it around.

There are some legendary mistakes of the past. When Rossignol developed their first generation shaped skis during the heyday of ASC, ASC decided to use the skis in their rental fleet. However, they did not mount as many as planned as people did not all want to rent these funny looking "parabolic" skis.

They also demanded a huge percentage of skis to fill their shops. The plan....rent them, love them, buy them. Well....not so much. They sold a lot of new skis. But it was not the mother lode.

My understanding was at the end of the season, ASC DEMANDED that Rossi take them all back, and credit the return against their order for the upcoming season, which they at the same time cut way back. The net was that I think Rossi returned cash.

When Rossi then hit the pavement to circle back with dealers to try to sell both new and the leftover product, evidently a lot of big dealers who had adopted to life with no Rossi basically told them to pound sand.

The other problem....the skis were not very good. It really hurt Rossi for some time. And taught pretty much every company a lesson about managing the 800 lb gorillas.

I heard all of this from two guys who did all of the buying for other 800 lb. gorillas at the time. Pretty sure the basics and general story is accurate.

So I doubt if REI has a lock on the Kore 93. What I DO believe is that they have sold less of their stock that others. Not sure how alive the ski biz is at most REI's on Sept 18th.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Oops, I forgot the ;) emoticon!

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier

If you like the skis so much why don't you just buy a pair at shop retail? Seem dumb to deny yourself the skis just because you can't get an employee discount. What's the savings $100 or so? That's like 4 lunches at a Vail Corp resort or 10 craft beers.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you like the skis so much why don't you just buy a pair at shop retail? Seem dumb to deny yourself the skis just because you can't get an employee discount. What's the savings $100 or so? That's like 4 lunches at a Vail Corp resort or 10 craft beers.

They are often much more on the 'or so' side and one of the very few perks of a low paying job. it's one of the ways that helps making skiing is affordable for many retail employees.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

First you need to find another bar, $100 gets me 20 craft beers. :) Employee/pro deals are way more discounted on retail price.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Where I work the staff price for all resort corp employees is 20% off retail and 40% off retail for ski shop employees with Retail Manager approval, which wouldn't be given for an item in limited supply like Head Kore skis.

As a Rental Tech I get to ski the shop's entire demo fleet of Head, Nordica, Line, Salomon, Rossignol skis. However I use my own skis early season and on road trips. Also, I usually ski my own Kastle BMX108 on powder days in order to get an early start and also to leave the shop's fleet of fat skis for the guests to use.

The pro deal that ski shop employees get from the equipment reps is so good that I cannot reveal the pricing except to say that only top end ski instructors with a full sponsorship (i.e. free equipment) get a better deal. The savings is way, way more than $100 on a pair of skis.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January