• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Because of industry commitments that we wil be working around, we will be looking mid Feb (not Presidents week) or the beginning of March.

Hoping for early March, we have our 2BR condo booked for the week starting March 3rd!!!

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Most people stay in nearby Midvale or Sandy which is ~ 30 minutes from most resorts and has a multitude of reasonable Days Inn type places. It's also ~ 30 minutes from the airport.

Since @Philpug has said it was outside his scope, I figured I or someone else might call the group sales offices at the Sandy, Midvale, and Holladay hotels to see if they're willing to cut any deal given the bank of rooms we could potentiality eat up.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since @Philpug has said it was outside his scope, I figured I or someone else might call the group sales offices at the Sandy, Midvale, and Holladay hotels to see if they're willing to cut any deal given the bank of rooms we could potentiality eat up.

If I recall that has been attempted before at other gathering locations to no avail. Especially given the variability of the dates people will commit to and the fact that often groups get together to rent condos or homes in the areas it can be hard to get people to commit. Herding cats comes to mind. However, it sounds to me like you've volunteered for the task so have at it. Don't get too good at it though, you might be on the hook for future years too. :P

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
If I recall that has been attempted before at other gathering locations to no avail. Especially given the variability of the dates people will commit to and the fact that often groups get together to rent condos or homes in the areas it can be hard to get people to commit. Herding cats comes to mind. However, it sounds to me like you've volunteered for the task so have at it. Don't get too good at it though, you might be on the hook for future years too. :P

At this point, I'm not even sure if I'm attending...but the minimal number of condos/lodging in LCC I figured the chance of people being interested is higher.

I'll add that if the discount doesn't beat the corporate discounts for the 3 letter consulting firms, that group sales manager will quickly be told to pound sand.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time we were in Utah I shared a bedroom for a couple nights in Eden and a room (with a different roommate) in the hipster-varient Hilton at the mouth of BCC. But for the Alta and Snowbird days I stayed at Goldminer's daughter. Expensive but SO worth it!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Again, I will be acting at The Gathermeister, I will not be using the Gathermeister handle but my own, just too much hassle switching back and forth. @dbostedo will be acting as "Asst GM" helping the people from Epic who do not have dual citizenship. I will be posting links to the info over there but the main pages/Information wil be here.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Again, I will be acting at The Gathermeister, I will not be using the Gathermeister handle but my own, just too much hassle switching back and forth. @dbostedo will be acting as "Asst GM" helping the people from Epic who do not have dual citizenship. I will be posting links to the info over there but the main pages/Information wil be here.

I like that plan. We have had two transitional years. I think dual hosting was necessary (but kind of a pain) my year, but it is time to cut the cord now.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, I also recruited @jgiddyup as an Asst. GM because of his experience doing the Utah Gatherings.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm going to try to make next year's Gathering (this after agreeing with wife a few weeks ago that we'd stick to home next season) given the location & the very improved MCP. And if I'm flying all the way over, I'll be up for an ancillary trek to Jackson pre or post SLC if anyone is interested.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm going to try to make next year's Gathering (this after agreeing with wife a few weeks ago that we'd stick to home next season) given the location & the very improved MCP. And if I'm flying all the way over, I'll be up for an ancillary trek to Jackson pre or post SLC if anyone is interested.
Or Tahoe?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Tahoe would be very attractive, but complicate flight arrangements. Maybe I could hitchhike SLC to Tahoe and then fly back to Tokyo from SFO...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, assuming we drive from Seattle, Sun Valley is a logical stop, either coming or going, or both. Hmmm...maybe the 3rd MCP day should be Sun Valley. Assuming I get the MCP. Assuming I attend the 2018 Utah Gathering. Assuming I don't completely give up skiing. Feel free to stop me anytime here.....

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool! Might work for next year. Haven't been to one since probably 2010 when our kids lived in Denver and we met up with Tricia and gang at A Basin and Loveland.
Look what just popped up in my time line on FB
1909531_139912895017_7005715_n.jpg

And this.
1909531_140307110017_6734828_n.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

epic?... never heard of it :huh:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time we were in Utah I shared a bedroom for a couple nights in Eden and a room (with a different roommate) in the hipster-varient Hilton at the mouth of BCC. But for the Alta and Snowbird days I stayed at Goldminer's daughter. Expensive but SO worth it!

I just stayed at Goldminer's and you're right, it's worth it. Depending on how the Gathering shakes out I'm thinking of staying there again.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have spent almost two weeks trying to connect with Mountain Collective with minimal progress. I was able to actually get to the person who (supposedly) was in charge of their affiliate programs but he has yet to reply to me (after almost a week) so I am not holdign out hope. I really do not understand the silence, I am confident that we would be selling 50-75 passes just gfor the Gathering plus another 200-300 on the site. So, I would suggest not waiting if you are going to buy the pass and just make your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online