• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find it somewhat ironic and amusing that in a relatively conservative state, LDS to boot, in a small town community like Cache Valley, they have ski areas with sexual double entendres: "Beaver Mt" and "Cherry Point."

My fondest memory of living in SL
Right?? They have to push back SOMEHOW. The counter-culture here is strong.

One of my fondest recollection of living in SLC was to start drinking. Gentiles had to do whatever it takes to stand out from the prevailing culture...

But in reality most people I worked with up at the U were transplant gentiles. And I met and befriended some remarkable LDS folks, both practicing and jack.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am pretty sure all LDS folks you knew are gentiles too. :cool:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
A quick question for those who have been to Utah - how long in advance do you have to book accommodation? Especially if you're interested in vrbo etc?
I think we may be priced out of the Alta lodges - but it seems that many of those are already booked up for next year. Is that possible?
Thanks!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A quick question for those who have been to Utah - how long in advance do you have to book accommodation? Especially if you're interested in vrbo etc?
I think we may be priced out of the Alta lodges - but it seems that many of those are already booked up for next year. Is that possible?
Thanks!

I booked this seasons trip to Alta in August of 2016. Stayed at Goldminer's Daughter and I'm thinking of doing that for the Gathering.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks!
It's more likely they aren't ready to take reservations for next year than they're booked.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Thanks!

Several Gatherings have been held in the past in the Salt Lake City area. In most cases the vast majority of people stayed in SLC and made the daily commute. The last time the event was there about a third (guessing 20 or so) stayed at either Alta or Snowbird. At Alta most stayed at Gold Miners Daughter and a few split a condo at Snowbird. Loging in Little Cottonwood Canyon is, as you have already noted, expensive.

The trip from the Midvale area of SLC is roughly a half hour under good road conditions to get to Snowbird. Midvale UT is the closest part of the city where there is all sorts of lodging available on reasonably short notice. You can get a reasonable room there in the $ 65- $ 75 range.

In most cases participants get together and socialize after skiing both up in the canyon and down in the city. Carpools have been know to happen from SLC also. Of course if you are staying at Alta or Snowbird it is about 1:45 minutes to get to Snow Basin if you decide to attend the events there. I think it come down to how much luxury and convenience you require.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Several Gatherings -

- Alta most stayed at Gold Miners Daughter and a few split a condo at Snowbird. Loging in Little Cottonwood Canyon is, as you have already noted, expensive.

The trip from the Midvale area of SLC is roughly a half hour under good road conditions to get to Snowbird. Midvale UT is the closest part of the city where there is all sorts of lodging available on reasonably short notice. You can get a reasonable room there in the $ 65- $ 75 range.

- Alta or Snowbird it is about 1:45 minutes to get to Snow Basin if you decide to attend the events there. I think it come down to how much luxury and convenience you require.
All good ideas.

I'm game for splitting a condo at Snowbird/Alta. - Let's see if we keep the dialogue going a few months from now when we're looking into booking options.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Several Gatherings have been held in the past in the Salt Lake City area. In most cases the vast majority of people stayed in SLC and made the daily commute. The last time the event was there about a third (guessing 20 or so) stayed at either Alta or Snowbird. At Alta most stayed at Gold Miners Daughter and a few split a condo at Snowbird. Loging in Little Cottonwood Canyon is, as you have already noted, expensive.

In most cases participants get together and socialize after skiing both up in the canyon and down in the city. Carpools have been know to happen from SLC also. Of course if you are staying at Alta or Snowbird it is about 1:45 minutes to get to Snow Basin if you decide to attend the events there. I think it come down to how much luxury and convenience you require.

Lots of useful info. Thanks! As I mentioned up-thread, I'm thinking of staying again at GMD even though it's expensive. The convenience of being slope side as well as the great food that's included make it hard to pass up. That said, the price range for Midvale is insane. I had no idea it could be so cheap during ski season.

Nice to know that people socialize in the canyon as well as down in SLC.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And maybe @cosmoliu 's friend Jeff will be there! A great host and everybody's friend. (Seriously. I am not being ironic, or sarcastic, or meta....)

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago for the first epic ski gathering many of us stayed at Extended Stay America down below the canyon. I forget the town name. You get a room with a kitchenette and it was pretty cheap for a week.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier

Thank you! This is great info - yup think it's going to be in sandy/midvale for us. Definitely we should pick up this thread as we get closer to the gathering.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Years ago for the first epic ski gathering many of us stayed at Extended Stay America down below the canyon. I forget the town name. You get a room with a kitchenette and it was pretty cheap for a week.

I think the Extended Stay (Midvale - Union blvd) is the closest to the base of LCC being only a few blocks away from the actual base of the canyon. I stayed there during the 2010 Utah Gathering and it was a bit on the rough side. The place was undergoing a total rehab and had quite a few "long term guests". Questionable crowd to say the least but a few of us were there and had no problems. I did a little research last night and it appears the place was most recently re-habed (again) in 2014, and the current rate for our time frame next year was around $ 65.

Do your own homework though and read the reviews.....some great....some scary ! It is also a wood frame building so it can be a bit noisy. For those on a budget and planning to cook-in though it MAY be a good choice.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If we can cluster in a few locations (not necessarily the same hotel, but close) that will make evening socializing for après or dinner much easier less time-consuming, and therefore more likely to happen.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone considering a few days before or after the gathering at JH or SV? I would like to maximize my Mountain Collective Pass.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone considering a few days before or after the gathering at JH or SV? I would like to maximize my Mountain Collective Pass.
I think there are..I would suggest a seperate thread here asking such a question, I think you cn twist some arms and get people thinking hmmm..I thiink I can swing that...especially Jackson. Think of it as a reconnaissance trip for the 2019 Gathering, not saying thats where it will be...but Jackson is always a popular destination option.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I go to Jackson, there is a cosmic guarantee that the snow will be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January