• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
LEGEND-X84.png
Dynastar Legend X84
Dimensions: 123-84-106
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177, 184
Size tested: 177
Design: All New

Drahtguy Kevin: The Legend X84's sweet spot is off-piste, especially in moguls. Its tip, rocker, and flex (or softness) don’t help raise the carving fun-meter: I found it slow and bland from turn to turn, but a lighter or more finesse skier may have a different view.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste aficionados.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier skiers looking to rip groomers.
  • Insider tip: Lighter skiers may enjoy these more than their portlier brethren.

FairToMiddlin: You can probably tell that I put a lot of value in how a modern ski displays a willingness to turn. That’s the point of these newfangled parabolic skis, right? On the front side, the Legend X84 displayed a frustrating reluctance to turn. It has a tip that is seemingly disinterested in initiating; patience is needed for enough pressure to build up to get the sidecut involved, and when it finally happens, there is little joie de vivre, or feedback.

The news isn’t all bad. The Legend is very competent off-piste, quick and encouraging, a good bump ski. The problem is that the Legend competes in the heart of the all-mountain segment, where plenty of skis do a very wide range of tasks, very well.
  • Who is it for? Old schoolers who steer from the tail, swishing down the piste, and who also want a friendly tool off the piste.
  • Who is it not for? Lovers of a high-G carve, PSIA instructors looking for a ski for their next-level exam.
  • Insider tip: Head to the side of the trail and dip into the trees to get the most out of this latest usage of the Legend name.

UGASkiDawg: I had fun on this ski in the bumps but it didn’t knock my socks off anywhere else. A workman-like 84mm ski, I couldn’t find anything to blow my skirt up or to dislike about it. I felt the same about this ski when I bought a previous 89mm version on super sale about 10 years ago. I rode it some for a year and then sent it to the ski team ski swap after it sat unused for a couple of years
  • Who is it for? Folks looking for an all-mountain ski that won’t offend; who knows, it might fit your skiing style.
  • Who is it not for? People looking for a "wow, that was an awesome!" experience.
  • Insider tip: Run it in the bumps and this ski comes alive, predictable without any surprises.
18 Legend X88 TC.png
Dynastar Legend X88
Dimensions: 125-88-106
Radius: 18m@180cm
Sizes: 166, 173, 180, 186
Size tested: 173

Philpug: The new Legend collection is not Cham 3.0, and it is not Powertrack 2.0, these are indeed all new. Dynastar had limited size offerings in the X88 and I almost didn’t get on them, but the rep reminded me that he had some pictures of me from years past and if I didn’t try the 173, he would share them. So on that note ... I was actually very surprised how well even the 173 skied. The sidewall technology brought over from the Speed Zone shines though here and really makes the new Legend ski fantastic. I will wait for a more thorough review once I get on the 180.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who don’t want to work all the time.
  • Who is it not for? Not sure yet.
  • Insider tip: Available with or without a system binding.
18 SpeedZone 12 TC.png
Dynastar Speed Zone 12
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 15m@174cm
Sizes: 158, 166, 174, 182
Size tested: 174
Design: Carryover

Drahtguy Kevin: The Speed Zone 12 is an easily engaging ski with confidence-inspiring stability. It crosses the fall line quickly in a calm fashion with lots of feel underfoot, but there is a definite top end. Advancing intermediates and above can improve their game on this ski.
  • Who is it for? People wanting to up their game.
  • Who is it not for? Those looking to go mach schnell.
  • Insider tip: Tip it and enjoy the ride.

FairToMiddlin: Dynastar has a great 72mm carver here, with a 15m radius, great snow feel (within shouting distance of the Stöckli Laser series), and even some talent in the bumps. My voice memo on the Speed Zone says “it doesn’t have quite the power of the Atomic Redster, or quite the personality of the Elan SLX, but it has a very nice blend of both.” It also has more versatility than both, although I wouldn’t quite give it one-ski-quiver status.
  • Who is it for? Frontside carvers who want a touch more versatility, without any compromise in trench-laying grins.
  • Who is it not for? Traveling skiers hoping for one ski in the bag that feels great all over the mountain.
  • Insider tip: Like the Redster and SLX, this is a ski you can trust to tell you what’s going on, giving you the data you need to make good choices. In a culture that seems gaga over lightness, it is nice to see skis like this still being made.

Philpug: (from last year) Dynastar has reinvented the Course line and named it the Speed Zone. No, they did not just slap new colors on old skis; instead, Dynastar brought the proprietary construction from its race skis to a consumer level. Powerdrive -- or what Dynastar internally calls “velvet speed” -- is a combination of Visco and Titanal vertically laminated between the ABS sidewalls and the core, giving the Speed Zone a very supple feel on the snow.
  • Who is it for? Hard-snow fanatics who like to go fast.
  • Who is it not for? Slowpokes: this Dynastar wants to run.
  • Insider tip: You want overkill? Look at the Speed Zone 14Ti, which is the same ski but with the R21 race plate. Combine it with the SPX 15 Rockerflex race binding. Say goodbye to your pass.

Women's
INTENSE-10-XPress.png
Dynastar Intense 10
Dimensions: 104-73-120
Radius: 15m@167
Sizes: 146, 153, 160, 167
Size tested: 167
Design: Carryover

AmyPJ: I went to the Dynastar tent hoping to take out a different ski, but they didn’t have anything available in my length at that time. So what the heck, why not take out a narrow, frontside carving ski? This was a nice ski! It was smooth and had very good edge hold. It would not let me cheat in my turn transitions yet did not kill me when I tried to (which I do, often). I think the 167 was a bit long for me. It handled every type of snow on the way down, including the slush, very well. This would be a really good firm groomer ski for me to really hone my skills on.
  • Who is it for: An Eastern skier who needs a ski that can handle a variety of conditions.
  • Who is it not for? A true tail pusher.
18 Intense 12 TC.png
Dynastar Intense 12
Dimensions: 121-72-106
Radius: 14m@166cm
Sizes: 149, 158, 166
Size tested: 166

Tricia: Dynastar is offering the Intense 12 to women who are looking for a serious frontside ski. This ski reminded me how much fun it is to make nice turns without having to overthink it: just pressure the tip and it comes around like an old friend. The small mogul field I went through was a piece of cake. This could easily be dubbed the Cougar Cruiser.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a fun groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers a midfat as a daily driver.
  • Insider tip: Trust the tip.
LEGEND-W84-Xpress.png
Dynastar Legend 84 W
Dimensions: 123-84-106
Radius: 17m@177cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 177

SBrown: Hmmm. Easy enough to ski, it felt nervous at speed: nothing like the K2 or Kästles of that size (haha, I just likened K2 to Kästle on a groomer).
  • Who is it for? Lighter and/or slower.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger and/or faster.
  • Insider tip: Fun in bumps, if you have a lot of those.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has anyone been on the Legend X96 and does anyone know how it compares to the Fischer Motive 95ti
Here is a Cage Match with the Salomon QST99. The Fischer is a bit damper and with that squarer tail it will hold better. The Dynastar is more playful and being lighter, better in the trees and bumps.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All things considered, that was pretty close to a pan. Too bad. I used to have real affection for Dynastar. The original Legend series was money, I thought - some of the first true all mountain skis.

Kendall

Booting up
Skier
Sounds good, love the Fischer here on the east it tackles everything we get, but was looking for a western ski that was a tad bit lighter and dabble in and out of the powder, but don't know if the X96 is the ticket, have a local shop owner that I value his opinion and he raves about them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds good, love the Fischer here on the east it tackles everything we get, but was looking for a western ski that was a tad bit lighter and dabble in and out of the powder, but don't know if the X96 is the ticket, have a local shop owner that I value his opinion and he raves about them.
Are you adding to the Fischer or replacing it? If you are adding, I would go with the Legend X 106. Replacing? Go for it.

Kendall

Booting up
Skier
I was thinking about maybe adding, up in the air about replacing, wondering if the Dynastar would hold on the east coast. Right now I can get a really good deal on the X96, it is surely a lot lighter which would pay off for those good long days.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking about maybe adding, up in the air about replacing, wondering if the Dynastar would hold on the east coast. Right now I can get a really good deal on the X96, it is surely a lot lighter which would pay off for those good long days.
I just spent some time talking to John Egan who has been skiing for Dynastar for the better part of 20 years and had a good amount to say in the design. John skis out of Sugerbush...and some consider to be the mayor of Castlepeak...where John did his R&D of the ski. So, yeah, I would say it will hold up to the east coast ;).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tell me more! I took it out at a demo event last year - only one run - but came away quite intrigued. I was able to get it in to groom, crud, a little pow - but not enough time to get a really good feel for what it does. I liked it though in all of the above.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Tell me more! I took it out at a demo event last year - only one run - but came away quite intrigued. I was able to get it in to groom, crud, a little pow - but not enough time to get a really good feel for what it does. I liked it though in all of the above.

I only had one run on it as well but I liked it right away. Just fit my style and conditions well (Bumps, roughed up groomers and a little chowder, mid winter type cold snow). It seemed like a well made and dialed ski. None of the skis I demoed the same day were bad skis so the fact that this one stood out of such a great group of boards tells me something (see my thread: https://www.pugski.com/threads/demo-day-at-loveland-tested-10-pairs-of-skis.7095/ ). Had a nice blend of stability, maneuverability, smoothness, versatility and refinement. Its a dark horse that does not seem to be well known in the ski community.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Re: the Intense 10 - are the sidecut dimensions right? "Dimensions: 104-73-120" and not reversed?
Re: the Intense 12 - "Cougar Cruiser" is such a perfect label for me that I might have to check that ski out.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also took out the Legend 106 for Loveland demo day, two runs, in 12" fresh, on bumps, chop, crud, wow.

I did 8 skis, and two shined, for me: this and the Faction Candide 2.0. Very different skis. Both wow.

I will probably get both. The x106 was a surprise, not like any other ski I've been on. As much as the old Champs loved to cheat-pivot so easily, so saving on the energy but so odd, these skis carve just as easily, much more dependably than a ski of this width ought to. Made me a chop/crud/bump charger, carving on any bump line I'd choose, as I went (albeit at Loveland, early season).

Man. I was not alone. Many of the Christy's crew, for instance, raved about this ski, as well as the Faction C.T. 2.0 (in a mostly different way). Some told me this was the "sweet spot" Legend, of the different widths. Dunno, myself.

Jeesh, I didn't know a ski could do that, what this ski did, with ease and relaxing consistancy. Fast like a charger, on edge with ease turning anywhere, off piste or on (on a soft snow/pow day).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. Thinking about this ski further, letting it sink in whether I want to buy this ski, I've realized that there are a few comparables I've either skied or read about, though each seems to have its own distinct personality/capability. If these skis turn out not to float in more even powder, as seems likely, but rather contour/carve, then:

The first ski that might be something like the Dynastar x106 is the Stockli SR 107. This ski I have not been on, but it has been said that it charges through pow/crud and bumps, etc., contouring smoothly and staying in contact with the terrain on edge as it goes. The 107 probably has a wider turn radius, however.

The second perhaps comparable ski would be the now discontinued 186 (first) and 182 (second) versions of the Rossi Sickle 111, which also wonderfully hugs the terrain carving on a pow/crud day (or big slush crud/bump day in spring). These have/had a turn radius slightly wider, less tight, and in their own way were memorable.

Blistergear loved the first version (as a max crud charger), rejected the second. But those guys were bigger than me.

I own the 2nd version of this Rossi Sickle (decendent of the Rossi S6, I believe), that had these two versions, changing from a slightly stouter charger ski to one more versatile for more skiers, maybe, a few years before it was discontinued. Since I'm a lighter weight skier, I guessed that the 2nd version might charge just as well for me, and it was a very good guess. That ski still rocks.

These are all three not skis that get tossed, or moved off what they can do, seems like. Waaay down in the snow, on a pow day, probably. No sweat.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
P.S. Thinking about this ski further, letting it sink in whether I want to buy this ski, I've realized that there are a few comparables I've either skied or read about, though each seems to have its own distinct personality/capability. If these skis turn out not to float in more even powder, as seems likely, but rather contour/carve, then:

The first ski that might be something like the Dynastar x106 is the Stockli SR 107. This ski I have not been on, but it has been said that it charges through pow/crud and bumps, etc., contouring smoothly and staying in contact with the terrain on edge as it goes. The 107 probably has a wider turn radius, however.

The second perhaps comparable ski would be the now discontinued 186 (first) and 182 (second) versions of the Rossi Sickle 111, which also wonderfully hugs the terrain carving on a pow/crud day (or big slush crud/bump day in spring). These have/had a turn radius slightly wider, less tight, and in their own way were memorable.

Blistergear loved the first version (as a max crud charger), rejected the second. But those guys were bigger than me.

I own the 2nd version of this Rossi Sickle (decendent of the Rossi S6, I believe), that had these two versions, changing from a slightly stouter charger ski to one more versatile for more skiers, maybe, a few years before it was discontinued. Since I'm a lighter weight skier, I guessed that the 2nd version might charge just as well for me, and it was a very good guess. That ski still rocks.

These are all three not skis that get tossed, or moved off what they can do, seems like. Waaay down in the snow, on a pow day, probably. No sweat.

Honestly for Crud nothing beats the Head Monster series. The 98 I tested was superb. The 108 should be amazing as well. I would at least try one. The Cochise is another excellent crud ski although I find the Monsters smoother. None of those work great in bottomless and/or very light deep powder but that is a rarity inside a resort anyway.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the great comments. Yes, will have to try the two wider Monsters. I sure loved the 88 (though not so much as a crud carver because of its lesser width). The last few years I've found that I've mostly stopped using skis in the 97 to maybe 109 mm waist range, other than the Shreditor 102s, The Monster 98s or 108s might make me re-consider that, dunno, So might the Legend x106s. Verrry interesting.

The Monsters especially seem like fat gs race skis, and if there's one thing I love it's GS race skis.

The Legends, by contrast, handle like some new kind of fat near-slalom ski, or forgiving closer to slalom fat ski, maybe (to me, in my limited experience). (The Patron has a perhaps similar, quicker turn radius, I believe; but for me doesn't feel anywhere near as dialed in a carver, and it's more of a floater).

At least the older versions of the Cochise didn't work well for me, probably because of my light 150 lbs. Felt like 2x4s, for me. I didn't get their carve. And, they killed crud, but they wasted powder.

There is also a second class of crud busters: ones that float also.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm also wondering if any of the narrower Legend x skis handle and maneuver as well as the Legend x106. The Blizzard Quatro 8.4 ti seemed to, almost: in a lighter and narrower ski (handling chop/crud variable bumps, etc.).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm also wondering if any of the narrower Legend x skis handle and maneuver as well as the Legend x106. The Blizzard Quatro 8.4 ti seemed to, almost: in a lighter and narrower ski (handling chop/crud variable bumps, etc.).
Not sure what you are asking.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry. The narrower Legends above seem underwhelming, maybe, except for the x106. Confusing.

The x106 is such a major standout ski, a super quick, damp crud carver in a between slalom and gs way, literally - both on and off piste. For a number of people at Christy's, it has been the standout ski of this demo season, as it has been one of two, so far, for me.

But since this ski doesn't float and feels almost like a race ski, it seems to me there ought to be a Dynastar ski in, say, the 90-100 size or narrower that does the x106's mission on and off piste just as well, at a narrower, lighter width. And that ski I'd probably prefer. Where is it, if anywhere?

Last year's Powertrack 89 and 84 come to mind: unlike this year's narrower Legends, those skis seemed to have a lot of performance to offer, and got a lot of buzz, as if they were the skis related to the x106. But they've been discontinued.

So I'm stumped, for now.

Sponsor

Staff online