• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2017 Kästle MX89 vs 2017 Kästle FX85 HP

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The answer is not always black and white...

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 5.51.02 AM.png

The old FX vs MX used to be a tougher comparison: I referred to the old FX as the Porsche Cayman and the MX as the 911, with the Cayman being lighter and, in some people's opinion, better. Now, the new FX is more like the Macan, with more of an off-piste bias, and the new MX is still, well, the 911. No, Kästle didn’t mess with the success of the MX collection, but it did change the FX by making it more capable and versatile off the groomers.

When Kästle announced it was updating the MX, a bittersweet smile crossed my lips. While the ski was almost a decade old, it still worked very well, showing that quality never goes out of style. The real difference in the new Kästle MX89 is not that it goes from 88 to 89 in width; it is the changes in the lengths offered and the construction. The new Kästle is plain old better for more people, not just the ones who skied the 168 and 178cm lengths. Now, every length works. Everything you liked about the outgoing MX, you will like about this one. If you thought you would like to ski the old one but were just in between sizes, you are in luck.

The FX85 HP is the ski that many of our testers have bought with their own hard-earned money. Why? The only thing I can think of is one word: precise versatility. Okay, that's two words, but they are two words that can be used individually or together and, in any of the combinations, describe the ski perfectly. The FX85 HP makes whatever turn you want it to make regardless of conditions, and it does so with a feel that you will not get from common skis. If you are on the lighter side or want a tad more snap, consider the regular FX85 without the metal. By no means is it a compromise; it is the better alternative for many.
  • Why choose the MX89? Wallflowers need not apply. This one is for strong and athletic skiers, i.e., ex-racers looking for an all-mountain ski.
  • Why choose the FX85 HP? You want it all: versatility, precision, refinement, playfulness. All of it.
  • Other skis in the class: Stöckli Stormrider 88, Renoun Z-90.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Just a note on the Fx's. Dont think that the NON-Metal "FX-85" is less capable or is not worthy of your "excellence" :) For lighter skiers (even me @ 6' 167) or those who ski tighter terrain, trees and more bumps may find the non-metal version to be more fun and easier to master in the bumps. I skied both and felt if I skied more open terrain or wanted it more for groomed, I would go HP but since I ski much more trees, tighter terrain and a lot of bumps, the Non-metal version was more fun and it is more responsive and energetic. The Metal version can be demanding in large firmer bumps. It will remind you every time you are not totally over the ski in the bumps. The non-metal tips and shovel absorbs energy so well and and smooths things out better.

Sponsor

Staff online