• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been to Spirit and Giants ridge many times each, but I haven't been to sprit in past 3+ years and Giants ridge in maybe 20 years.

Giants Ridge is steeper, but with less vert overall. They recently put in a new high speed quad and a new fixed grip triple as well. I'm skiing there Feb 5th and 6th and will report back.

Spirit is a very fun hill overall. As I said it's not that steep, but they have some nice long runs and a new high speed quad also. The views of Duluth and the harbor are beautiful there. Really nice scenery.

If you like steep stuff and tree skiing I'd go with Giants Ridge, if you like longer runs and scenery I'd go with Spirit. Spirit can be done easily as a day trip which is nice. Giants will be less crowded on most days.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Granite Peak is fun but pricey. I ski it on max pass so it takes some the bite out of it. Around the holidays it was 95% open and was told it was fully open until the warm up. They have great snow making. The only they need is cold. The extreme left and right areas are pretty fun and steep. The downside is the long run outs. Your skiing but that is about it. The upside is that it is a cool place with a laid back vibe. They draw from as far south as St Louis but it is mostly locals, Minnesotans and flatlanders frlm Illinois. I will make it my mission to ski there at least once a season to support them, but it is pricey and equidistant for me with the Boyne propertieson the Max Pass.

OK, so I'm seriously considering Granite Peak again...my question is, how much of the tree skiing/glades shown on the map is actually open?

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so I'm seriously considering Granite Peak again...my question is, how much of the tree skiing/glades shown on the map is actually open?
That is a good question that I do not know the answer too. I do know that what is depicted as glades is primarily area between groomed runs. In deep snow conditions it is fun, but if thin I wouldn't make a destination decision based on glade availability. It is not what most would think of as glade skiing.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Take it for what it's worth.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
6" plus for Southern Wisconsin today. Everyone enjoy it.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
I'm already looking forward to 2018-19 season and researching pass options. Looks like the MAX Pass might be the best option for me, seeing as it includes 5 days at Buck Hill, Granite and Lutsen, as well as plenty of options out East and West and in Canada. Do any of you do the Pass route? Any recommendations? Obviously things in the ski industry seem to be moving fast and things could change drastically in the next year or change.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm already looking forward to 2018-19 season and researching pass options. Looks like the MAX Pass might be the best option for me, seeing as it includes 5 days at Buck Hill, Granite and Lutsen, as well as plenty of options out East and West and in Canada. Do any of you do the Pass route? Any recommendations? Obviously things in the ski industry seem to be moving fast and things could change drastically in the next year or change.

We're looking into pass options for next year as well. does the MAX pass include Big Sky? That is where we're trying to get to next year.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're looking into pass options for next year as well. does the MAX pass include Big Sky? That is where we're trying to get to next year.

Nevermind I see that it does. Wow that sucker would cost my family $2600 for this year... :eek:

We'd need to ski A LOT to pay for it. Would need use all 5 days at Lutsen and Big Sky just to cover it's cost...

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier

I did a pass a Welch that I bought in March for $135 and then some version of the Epic Local Pass that excludes Afton ,no interest in skiing Afton, and allows for skiing at Breck, Keystone and A........Was a good option for me....will ski Breck 3x this year (2x with a friends from around the US) and A-basin.

IMHO the $135 pass for Welch was the best deal around the Twin Cities. Ski 3x and it's paid for, and unless racing why go to Buck???

Could pay more for the Epic Pass with more options but b/c I have a family and live/work in the twin cities it's unrealistic to assume that my ski budget, which according to my wife is generous enough, will take me to more areas.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Nevermind I see that it does. Wow that sucker would cost my family $2600 for this year... :eek:

We'd need to ski A LOT to pay for it. Would need use all 5 days at Lutsen and Big Sky just to cover it's cost...

Also influencing your decision is the fact that the MAX Pass will no longer be a thing after this season.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also influencing your decision is the fact that the MAX Pass will no longer be a thing after this season.

lol that would change things for sure... Actually looking at just going to Bridger Bowl for our family trip next year. No need for any fancy pass. Top ticket price is $60 :golfclap:

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
The new ikon pass looks interesting, but prices dont come out until sometime in early spring. Some of the resorts were on the max pass so before forking over some cash waiting until they come out with pricing might be worth it.

If skiing afton on a regular basis the pic pass is worth it if going to vail owned resots out west. @wallyk not sure if it was a typo but afton is included in epic local. 5.5 days at breck pays for the epic local pass. Putting up w/ afton some times worth the $ if vail resorts is part of the equation.

Welch usually has some sort of season pass deal from what i recal that even if one bought epic/welch combo, in the end could be worth the $ in the gran scheme of things if one takes several trips out west.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier

Well then.

I wonder if Lutsen and Granite will hop onto some other pass if MAX is going away? I'm definitely going to get a Welch season pass next year since I go there the most often and it's only 45 minutes away (crossing fingers they finally get that Back Bowl future chalet made sometimes soon) + some version of the Epic pass unless some magical new pass opens up or say, Lutsen or Granite jump on the Ikon pass that might influence my decision.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty booked up for this year so hard to see what's really available. I'll look early next year and get into something close hopefully.
You don't have to book lodging to get the discount lift tickets though.

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
I'm an instructor with Courage Kenny

Besides being a volunteer, is there any requirements, classes/traing one must participate in?

Is there a path to certification if neeany additional info and/or insight you vpcan provide would be appreciated besides of whats on the website.

Mallet21

Booting up
Skier
Besides being a volunteer, is there any requirements, classes/traing one must participate in?

Is there a path to certification if neeany additional info and/or insight you can provide would be appreciated besides of whats on the website.

Training for a first time volunteer is simply a one day classroom session (Oct/Nov) and then 2 all day on-hill training sessions (Dec) where they go through basic teaching progressions as well as training on the adaptive equipment for either stand-up skiers (tethers and outriggers) or sit-down skiers (bi-ski/mono ski). You are then essentially certified. Once the lessons begin you will get paired up with a more experienced volunteer and away you go. They offer a bunch of free training clinics throughout the season on teaching progressions and using various types of equipment.

I'm only in my 2nd season with CK but its quite honestly the coolest thing I have ever been a part of.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sponsor