• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Looks like a cold front is coming in with lots of way below zero temps over the next few days. Kilington in particular is planning on firing up the snow guns. I have no doubt that places looks gross at this hour given how warm it us and that it's 330pm. The groomers will do their best to make it all look pretty by the next day. Yay for snowmaking.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stratton

1.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    418.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know. Ahhhh, I had a sebring before I got my Jeep, great car. I'm putting the top down on my Jeep for the ride home but it's too soon for this. I'm sure all the mountains look like crap at this hour however, with dropping temps I'm confident things will turn around.

Last edited:

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love spring skiing (not so much in February though) so I went to Wildcat for a couple hours. Wasn't as good as I was hoping. There was some nice corn, but still a lot of ice even with temps in the mid to high 60s. My guess is the wind was keeping a lot of it firm. To make it worse there were huge sections of trails with no snow and even a few streams to ski/jump over.

By my count we've had 4 seasons already this year.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Looks like a cold front is coming in with lots of way below zero temps over the next few days. Kilington in particular is planning on firing up the snow guns. I have no doubt that places looks gross at this hour given how warm it us and that it's 330pm. The groomers will do their best to make it all look pretty by the next day. Yay for snowmaking.

I think you mean below zero Celsius. After the one, two inches tonight, back to warm. It's like a Mike Tyson fight with old man winter.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sorry for any confusion. I did just get back from a couple trips to Canada. I meant below 32 degrees and snow gun action happens when it gets cold at night and it will be cold enough. I checked the weather for the next few days and out of the next 10 days about every one has temps at 25 degrees and below at night. That means SNOWMAKING wooh hooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mike Tyson fight with ma nature is a good one and so true. Winter is returning starting today with colder temps and it should stay that way as we go into March.

Mid 30s during the day and 25 and below each night. That works for me.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USVT0125:1:US

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at Jay last weekend and they had very good conditions (read cold) and no rain. I was watching the temps and it got into the 60's there this week, but not too much rain. I expect all the ski mtn's near Burlington will survive this weather stretch in reasonable shape. Josh M's post seems to agree with that. Unfortunately, mtn's further south are taking a beating, I suspect and I hope they are willing to fire up the snow guns. Hopefully we will have a chilly and snowy March to make up for it. Now that my son's in college I am no longer restricted to public school vacation weeks, which I gave up on for family ski vacations, too crowded and expensive. College spring break is much easier to deal with, on the wallet too, so we are going to Breckenridge in mid March. I hope they have good snow too.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Down here, things could be kaput for the season. Blue Mtn closed for the next 2 days. I don’t want to know about the others. Temps this weekend will be in the 50’s, after 75 degrees yesterday. Unless March turns cold, the only skiing I’ll be doing is the Gathering in UT and maybe a short trip much further north. I have so much work to do at school that I might as well buckle down and do it, and just pack up the skis for UT.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was checking the K'ton live cams today and it looked like it was snowing a little. They say they will be firing up the guns as long as there are cool temps. I'll be up with the ski club this weekend, probably Sugartush and Kton on Saturday and Sunday. I think K'ton can and will recover quickly and should be good Sunday, but not sure SB has the resources or the time.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for February 23rd. It was actually better then I thought it would... I was anticipating blue unedgeable ice after this week's weather, but there was a decent layer of crushed ice (I won't call it "snow") on top of a very, very firm surface. So kind of random pushed-up piles of sandy sugary type crushed white stuff?

I just stuck to blue cruisers. It wasn't that crowded, but the limited terrain made it feel kinda nuts at times.

All of the natural snow terrain is finished for now -- big bare spots everywhere. :( Snowmaking terrain looks ok though with a couple bare spots on Gondolier, but otherwise, it looks like coverage is holding up.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
FYI Wednesday 7 March 2018 the 70 plus ski club annual race is at Hunter Mt NY this year.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was anticipating blue unedgeable ice after this week's weather, but there was a decent layer of crushed ice (I won't call it "snow") on top of a very, very firm surface. So kind of random pushed-up piles of sandy sugary type crushed white stuff?
Not surprisingly, this matches my experience at Sugarbush today. It was interesting. Could have been worse.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid