• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stowe was a 9 out of 10 from 7:30 to around 9:30am today. Then it was as an 8 out of 10 until around 11am. From 11 to around Noon it was a 7 out of 10 at best.

From there on out it was pure pandamonium. The crowds were :eek:.

We left at 1pm and went to Doc Ponds (great food and best brew list in VT) and a paid a quick visit to the Matterhorn afterwards (they have a Big Buck Hunter arcade machine :P).

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe was a 9 out of 10 from 7:30 to around 9:30am today. Then it was as an 8 out of 10 until around 11am. From 11 to around Noon it was a 7 out of 10 at best.

From there on out it was pure pandamonium. The crowds were :eek:.

We left at 1pm and went to Doc Ponds (great food and best brew list in VT) and a paid a quick visit to the Matterhorn afterwards (they have a Big Buck Hunter arcade machine :P).

I'm surprised that it took until 11:00 for things to start to deteriorate. I figured it would be madness from 8:00AM with the new snow, etc. Glad you had a good morning. Doc Ponds is great.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Crotched got 5 while Wildcat got 3 (assume Attitash got the same as Wildcat). Interesting that the Peak Resort areas are not on the list.

I dont think they are on any SkiNH list. they are also the only 3 areas in state that do not participate on the kids 4th & 5th grade learn to ski passport (which is a SkiNH product) You have totally peaked my interest as to why

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Nice place Tremblant but the crowds, oh the crowds. No thanks.
I did alright by sticking with the Edge for a while, then TGV afterward.

Also I’m by myself so single’s line moved reasonably swift. Although strangely enough, Tremblant doesn't seem to believe in paying staff to help organize the lift line. So, we're down to doing it ourselves. The dual language of Quebec makes it extra challenging. What's "how many in your group" in French? So occasionally, 5 people all try to get on a quad chair...

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Cannon yesterday and today with my wife, 2 brothers in law, and nephew. One BIL has a place by Cannon, so we had accommodations. Yesterday was nice with blue skies, but VERY hard once the thin layer of groomed got skied off. Today was better with about 4" of snow, but due to the crowds (biggest this year according to my BIL), it got chopped up pretty fast. No glades unless you didn't care about your skis............

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Cannon announced 18/19 pass prices, rollback for their 80th anniversary- sweet deal for NH residents!

Attachments

• IMG_5466.PNG
    IMG_5466.PNG
    251.9 KB · Views: 14

JPM

Booting up
Skier
I dont think they are on any SkiNH list. they are also the only 3 areas in state that do not participate on the kids 4th & 5th grade learn to ski passport (which is a SkiNH product) You have totally peaked my interest as to why

I think Peak severed their relationship with SKINH a couple of years ago. Marketing reasons?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just looked at the weather reports for the week across the higher elevations of New England.
Veryvery sad.

Okemo/Killigton are looking to see mid 50s on Tuesday followed by low 60s on Wednesday and mid 50s again on Saturday.

I am afraid a hit of this magnitude in the second half of Feb could mean a very tough slug to the end of the season for many mountains across the northeast as serious snowmaking is coming to a grinding halt soon.

Hopefully the fog and rain keep away and the snow does not get decimated.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
JB thinks March will be cold, with some big storms. The tele connectons are not lining up with the forecasted GFS arctic blocking pattern. The Euro ensembles appears to be in line tho. The changes may happen a week to a little over a week.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went to Jay Peak on Saturday and Sunday. Had 4-5" of fresh snow on the mtn for Saturday. A little cold, in the lower 20's, but sunny for most of the day and really good skiing. The new snow was on top of some hard stuff underneath, so some of the heavy traffic slick spots showed up, but mostly nice packed powder. Lots of Canadian's at the mtn, so fairly crowded for Jay, had to choose your lift wisely a few times, but never more than 10 min wait, usually a lot less.

Sunday had about 3" of new snow, Jay missed most the storm that was more coastal, but the temp's stayed cold and the snow stayed nice. Spent the day in the trees, and discovered Beavor Pond Glade. It had close to three feet of lightly tracked snow that was in great shape. Definitely my new favorite glade at Jay. I have been there enough that I hardly bother skiing any groomers, just use em to get into the trees. All the glades I tried skied well with snow that ranged from light fluffy to medium dense packed. No ice at all. After the warm up, they are predicting all snow for this coming weekend.

Since my son at UVM has a Jay season pass, I am more inclined to ski Jay when up in the area, but I would like to make it over to Stowe and ski with some of the other "Stowe" forum members. I also have two day passes to Sugarbush to use up this season. I still haven't figured out when is a good time to hit Sugarbush.?

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
Skied the Wa last night, practically my backyard and I am a regular for race league. Getting down to bare bones up top, with large icy patches covered by sheets of running water and even a few brown patches showing up. Most of the runs still have a reasonable amount of base but we are getting down to the stuff that melted and re-froze in prior warm/cold spells. We did not avoid that fog and rain, and today will be ~73F for the high. :(

1"-3" snow forecast for tomorrow :golfclap: but ~1/4" of rain on Friday and up to ~3/4" of rain late Saturday through Sunday. :doh:

There may be some upcoming opportunities to blow a little snow, if they choose to do so- otherwise it's looking pretty grim for the next week or so. There are a few stashes of snow for the groomers to move (and move and move...) and the head of grooming can darn near part the Red Sea when it comes to making something from almost nothing. The question is how long before almost nothing becomes nothing at all...

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I blew off racing in my league (Nashoba) yesterday... I didn't feel like trying to run gates in slush on thin cover. It was in the 60's here in eastern Mass. Ridiculous.

Heading up to Stowe for the weekend... guess I'll see what's left up there. @epic , @Josh Matta ... do I want to know?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
SL hill, and gonderlier are the only groomed trail barespot I have seen. Mansifield seems to be holding snow.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We went to mount snow last friday and it was at the onslaught of slushness but it was fine, we had fun. Bromley was skiing awesome last weekend, particularly sunday and monday. Sunday was a small powder day and monday it was packed down but still soft packed. Nice weekend so can't complaint Working my last weekend at Butternut in western mass this weekend so it will be what it will be. Saturday should be dry sunday looks like it won't be. I'll likely take my Vantages out and get my Santa Anas ready for when we come back from Tahoe. It got cold again last year so I have no doubt it'll happen again. Welcome to yoyo weather land.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Stowe looks a lot better than that.

Sponsor

Staff online