• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vail Resorts has applied for a permit to construct a parking lot near the Toll House base area at Stowe after receiving approval for a 140 space lot near the gondola.

The lot would be an expansion of the existing touring center parking area adjacent to the Stowe Derby ski trail. The new lot would hold 200 staff vehicles to help free-up parking closer to the ski area.

Also, group day ticket rates have increased 3% at Stowe.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
That fence is classic Elk. Instead of putting a ticket booth near that parking lot which would be a huge plus for their customers, they put up a fence to reduce the convenience. Ownership must be dizzy from the fumes of the13,000 Norway Spruce they lined the slopes with to keep people out of the woods. For those who have not been to Elk, there is no parking near the Lodge.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just booked our MLK weekend trip to the eastern townships of quebec again. Not going to Sutton this year. I'm bummed about this since we like it there but it is rather far from the estrimont. We have the option of going on our own for an additional charge but we like Orford so might as well take a private there and enjoy the 2 days. Then 1 day at Owls Head.

We always stay at the Estrimont and it's just a gorgeous place with a Scandanavian spa out in back.

13122890_10153638525668014_337058889538854401_o.jpg

I hope we get another bluebird day at Owls Head because we spent much of the day at the steep run on the side skiing down this trail that looks like it was going to go right into the lake. It was so stunning.

Here's a pic from last year.

15966180_10154306726683014_5863594067465735213_n.jpg

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Here are a few projected dates (sometimes) for a few northern New England resorts — opening dates are wishes that may come true if it stops raining. A few resorts (the usual suspects) are blowing snow already.

Vermont

Killington: blowing snow (that's recent, BTW), but no projected opening date. (http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=608 — but see below for a contradiction to this article's first sentence)

Okemo: projected opening: Nov. 11. No snow making has happened, though, so . . .

Mount Snow: Nope.

Sugarbush: Nov. 18, snowmaking begins Nov. 3 (two new lifts this season, incidentally)

Stowe: In theory, the season will run Nov. 17 - April 15. NSM currently.

Statton: Nov. 22. NSM

Bromley: Snowmaking will be happening "before you know it."

Magic: Uh-huh. Dec. 9th? Ullr?

Smuggler's Notch: Dec. 8 maybe?

MRG: Crossed fingers + Ullr = Dec. 9

New Hampshire

Cannon:
Not saying.

Wildcat: Well, they've tested their snowmaking equipment.

Attitash: stoked

Bretton Woods: Snow reports still talk about last season, which was a nice one, apparently.

Loon: Snowmakers are on standby. Mother Nature isn't saying.

Gunstock: 80th anniversary season, but when does it start?

Sunapee: Think Snow!

Crotched: "Winter is right around the bend."

Maine

Sugarloaf: Opening "around Thanksgiving, weather permitting," after having missed "seven feet of snow" by 15 degrees. They have plenty of raging rivers and downed trees, however, which is a consolation. (We had that storm here, too. It was pretty intense.)

Sunday River: Always in the running for first open, they blew their first serious snow on Oct. 17, and will start the season "ASAP." (They have a new lift going in, too.)

Saddleback: Saddleback? http://majellagroup.com/saddlebackmaine/qanda-saddleback-june17.pdf & http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=610

That's all I've got. Let us know if you've heard anything.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm making plans for the next 3 weekends with my first ski weekend to be thanksgiving day. Current plan is Killington. The weather was looking good next week for solid snowmaking but I guess we'll wait and see. Needless to say we're dropping skis off for their pre season tune tomorrow so we'll be ready without having to rush when opening day gets here.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm making plans for the next 3 weekends with my first ski weekend to be thanksgiving day. Current plan is Killington. The weather was looking good next week for solid snowmaking but I guess we'll wait and see. Needless to say we're dropping skis off for their pre season tune tomorrow so we'll be ready without having to rush when opening day gets here.

Storage wax is still on. I have a boot fitting (with our favorite boot fitter) on Veterans' Day, though, so I hope something's open soon.

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
For NE skiers looking for a little variety, the Palace Theater VIP swag for WM Line of Descent movie includes a free unrestricted WV pass and free non-holiday Peak resort (Attitash, Crotched, Wildcat, Mt Snow. For $55 you can't beat this! Also includes Sugarbush & Burke midweek (blackout dates are for Presidents week, most NH school have vacation the week after so passes work then), Pats Peak & McIntyre (good for after school night skiing/tubing), Gunstock 1/2 price all season, and 2 days at Jackson Hole if you are planning a trip west. By far the best swag offered for any NE viewing! They also have a general admission ticket for $30 that includes Waterville, DB, JH, McIntyre, & Gunstock. Purchase price is charitable donation to CHAD Children's Hospital at Dartmouth.

Another awesome ticket deal I found is if you sign up for a $50 individual membership for The Friends of Tuckermans at the Boston Ski Expo you can select a free ticket from any sponsor- killer deal if you love Loon or SR and don't have a Max pass (these mountains rarely get discounts)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January