• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I skipped the weekend at Stowe (not allowed on Saturday, and super windy yesterday). It seems that despite having gotten some rain, it was a net gain over the weekend. Surface was nice today. Upper Hayride is now open, snow was good on the ungroomed, but the blues were just begging for me to carve on them today. So that's mostly what I did.

Too early to tell, but I did ride with a few first time Stowe skiers who were on Epic passes.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This is what Cannon is offering when they open the day after T-Day.
You can ski summit to base, on 4 lifts, 15 trails.

"Top-to-bottom skiing and riding for opening day! With favorable snow making weather over the past few days, Cannon will open with summit to base skiing and riding for the first time in recorded history. Due to the prime temperatures and the help of our $5 million dollar snowmaking system upgrade, we are looking to open with 15+ trails and 4 lifts.

The top of the mountain will feature Upper Cannon and Tramway from the Cannonball lift for first day summit laps. Eagle Cliff and Peabody lifts will be spinning for access to middle and lower mountain trails. We will have multiple routes available via Big Link, Easy Link, Missing Link, Bypass, Spookie, Rock Garden, Middle Ravine, Lower Ravine, Middle Cannon, Lower Cannon, and Gremlin. Tuckerbrook family area will feature the Brookside trail and lift, for family skiing and riding. Also, plan for a small opening day park set up showcasing a few boxes and rail features as well. As you can tell it is going to be a legendary first day on snow here at Cannon."

(Zoomer lift will probably open Sat or Sun, weather permitting.)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Nice to see that Cannon is aggressively opening this year. When I was a Cannon regular, there opening was always a source of frustration. It took them a while to get the mountain in gear.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Shameless plug: there will be a New England Gathering this year. See here for details! The more the merrier.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Early conditions seem good this year. Just skied Okemo (nobody here, except some decent skiers) and found snow similar to last weekend’s at Snow: firm but edgeable, groomer heaven. Somebody posted a season forecast from a Portland, Me., tv station — lots of winter snow, tapering off in the spring. As reliable as any seasonal prediction (not very), but we shall see.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski resort owner reaches tentative deal in Jay Peak case

The owner of Jay Peak has reached a tentative settlement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in a fraud case. The tentative settlement between Ariel Quiros and the SEC is mentioned in federal court documents .

Quiros and his partner were accused of misusing more than $200 million raised from foreign investors to build projects at Jay Peak, Burke Mountain and in Newport. Stenger settled his case with the SEC last year.

Quiros is believed to have pocketed more than $50 million.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied at Loon yesterday. Blue sky, 40 deg, and great coverage on a fair number of trails with minimal skiers. I was amazed how good it was. I think they claimed 14 trails, which translates into 3 routes off the top of the gondola (the only lift) and usually 3 choices of lower half trails at the various intersections. Basically enough not to be bored for the entire day. Mostly blues, with some reasonable greens. I was amazed at how the snow softened up and was very skiable and fun. Today's rain will completely change things, so its a bit hit or miss still. Yesterday was a definite "hit" at Loon.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Nice to see that Cannon is aggressively opening this year. When I was a Cannon regular, there opening was always a source of frustration. It took them a while to get the mountain in gear.

Two summers ago Cannon installed $5 million worth of new snow guns. Thus the aggressive start.
More words from their current snow report:

Colder temperatures will be in effect tonight through opening day allowing for a solid window of snowmaking on the Front 5. We are hoping to have some additional terrain open end of the weekend and early next week.

Translation: Zoomer lift will open as soon as they can do it, probably Sunday or Monday.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone skiing Stowe this weekend, November 24-26?

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Okemo was fine today — the hero snow from Wednesday is gone, however, replaced by manmade on ice. Lines weren't too bad, though, considering it's a holiday.

At the end of the day, I ran into @SallyCat going into the lodge! Surprise! That was fun.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I friend of mine sent me this from Loon Mt NH yesterday. Looks good to me, although he did not say how much of the Mt was open.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stowe was pretty great today - certainly as far as November skiing goes.

No lines - top to bottom skiing - groomed and ungroomed - green, blue and black trails - uncrowned trails - great food - great beer - nice people -... no complaints.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whiteface was pretty good today..soft, easy to ski piles, short lines, good company,black pearls were perfect for today.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Bretton Woods today with @LiquidFeet. About an inch of natural fell this morning over their man-made base. Not crowded. Very good early season conditions. That place has great terrain for getting my legs back on. The Blossom SLs I got from Brian Finch this summer were money on the refrozen underlayer. They should rename that model "Foundation" or something. Very fun day all around. Didn't push it.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Skied Bretton Woods today with @LiquidFeet. About an inch of natural fell this morning over their man-made base. Not crowded. Very good early season conditions. That place has great terrain for getting my legs back on. The Blossom SLs I got from Brian Finch this summer were money on the refrozen underlayer. They should rename that model "Foundation" or something. Very fun day all around. Didn't push it.

Ok, so, like, this year, at the Gathering, we're all going to be on Blossom SLs, right?

Sponsor

Staff online