• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

Today wasn't to shabby at snowbasin either. Plenty of leftovers if you knew where to look
Nice!

Got my own first tracks after a hike up to Easter Bowl when they opened it about noon.
4043819B-2A28-4914-83F4-19929F1D7B27.jpeg

Looks nice!

The D News is reporting a skier was caught in an inbounds avi at Snowbasin this afternoon:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...avalanche-at-snowbasin-flown-to-hospital.html
Wow, hope she’s okay!
Patrol began Avalanche Reduction routes in No Name area shortly after opening the hike up the Tram road. I spoke with a patroller around 1pm & he said they may open it but more likely tomorrow. There were still bombs going off when I left around 2pm. Kinda glad I didn’t hang around.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I was in the parking lot at about 4 when I saw life flight come in so I stopped and watched from afar. They ended up picking someone up on viewers left of no name. Maybe that gulley at the bottom of Easter bowl? And then they ended up landing next to maples where emergency vehicles were parked. Scary!

4ster

Instructor
I spoke with my friend whose family I had been skiing with earlier. He was part of the group that helped dig her out. He said she was OK but was surprised she survived. The victims brother was also caught & possibly injured. My friend was pretty shook up as we both realized that it could’ve been us or anyone!
A reminder to never ski with your guard down.

It is a strange snow pack out there. I just read another report on the UAC site of a skier caught in an avalanche in the cottonwoods backcountry. Strangely in an area also called No Name Bowl. Seems that 18 to 20 skiers had already skied the same bowl before he started the slide on his third lap.

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/35752

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, seeing those lift line pic’s makes me feel pretty happy about the lines we had at Brighton on Saturday.
Maybe 15 minutes for the first run and 10 minutes for the rest of the morning.
Coverage should be great there by now.

Sunday at Deer Valley Lift lines were mostly non-existent. Conditions were extremely mixed. Some groomers were icy with variying amounts of loose snow, some were great and soft, and some trees and mogul runs held deep snow.
I was surprised how bad (icy) many of the groomers were at Deer Valley, I had thought their intensive snowmaking, capped skier number and no boarders were supposed to preserve the runs better, but not so much.

This tree stand easily hit boot top in the steeper sections:
B0993D6A-A24E-426D-B101-356811DDFC87.jpeg

Last edited:

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Yep, the commute was rough today. 4 accidents in Ogden, 1 in Riverdale, and highways to 45mph. And thats just what I saw.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
Looking at the possibility of a Grand Targhee visit at the end of March. Will conditions still be worth the trip around that time? Looks like the area has gotten some good snow and temps the last couple weeks with more snow in forecast. When does Targhee generally close for the season?

4ster

Instructor
Yep, the commute was rough today. 4 accidents in Ogden, 1 in Riverdale, and highways to 45mph. And thats just what I saw.
People need to pay attention and get better tires.…… Stay out of the left lane and safely pull over when there are cars behind them.

Looking at the possibility of a Grand Targhee visit at the end of March. Will conditions still be worth the trip around that time? Looks like the area has gotten some good snow and temps the last couple weeks with more snow in forecast. When does Targhee generally close for the season?
Plenty of snow when I was there one and a half weeks ago.
Can't say when they close. Try posting in the Targhee thread/northern rockie mountains.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its nice out there!

I was late to work after skiing today as I-15 was a zoo at 3:30 PM. I should have taken the back roads.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a question for the folks that frequently ski in Utah.

I'm going to be in Park City next week with family, and am hoping to spend a couple of days outside of Deer Valley and Park City. My family is mostly intermediates, so last year I took some of them to Alta and they loved it. Not only did Alta have enough intermediate terrain, but the scenery and experience of being in LCC was sublime. Very different than Park City.

This year, I'm considering a day in Big Cottonwood or a day at Snowbasin (after the storms). Do Brighton, Solitude, and Snowbasin have enough intermediate terrain for intermediates to have fun at for a day? Which of these resorts has the best scenery or the most unique experience compared with Deer Valley and Park City? Also, is Brighton too small for one day, should we do combined Brighton/Solitude instead?

Thank you so much!

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier

I'm going to be in Park City next week with family, and am hoping to spend a couple of days outside of Deer Valley and Park City. My family is mostly intermediates, so last year I took some of them to Alta and they loved it. Not only did Alta have enough intermediate terrain, but the scenery and experience of being in LCC was sublime. Very different than Park City.

This year, I'm considering a day in Big Cottonwood or a day at Snowbasin (after the storms). Do Brighton, Solitude, and Snowbasin have enough intermediate terrain for intermediates to have fun at for a day? Which of these resorts has the best scenery or the most unique experience compared with Deer Valley and Park City? Also, is Brighton too small for one day, should we do combined Brighton/Solitude instead?

Thank you so much!

Brighton or Snowbasin for views although Snowbasin visibility can be challenging at times. All three have more than enough intermediate terrain to keep anyone happy for a couple days. No need for SolBright pass.

Reactions: RJS

SnowbirdDevotee

Putting on skis
Skier
This year, I'm considering a day in Big Cottonwood or a day at Snowbasin (after the storms). Do Brighton, Solitude, and Snowbasin have enough intermediate terrain for intermediates to have fun at for a day? Which of these resorts has the best scenery or the most unique experience...

The scenery at Snowbasin doesn't measure up to the high alpine Cottonwoods. Although on a sunny day ithe view is nice. Snowbasin does have it's own "uniqueness" and is worth a day. It's has long fall lines but it will get a bit "icy" (lower half of mtn) and crowded in spots. The infrastructure also makes it unique - exquisite lodges, 2 gondolas and lots of lifts (some which don't get crowded even on a busy day). So you don't go wrong and hopefully you'll take enough SLC trips that you'll have skied and enjoyed them all.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Thank you so much!
I have a grand total of 3 days skiing in in Utah, and a week in Park City in summer, so not quite ‘frequently’ ogsmile, but here goes:

I thought Big Cottonwood Canyon was very beautiful. It has very minimal development, so truly feels natural and pretty.
I only went to Brighton and Deer Valley, but thought that Brighton was very scenic, lots of golden rock outcroppings and since it’s at the end of the canyon, you get a different view when you get up top, you are looking down into another valley. Plenty of skiing for a day or two.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier

Thank you so much!

There's miles of terrain at all of those resorts for intermediates.
Do not discount Snowbird. It gets a bum wrap by some who say it doesn't suit intermediates. This intermediate loves it. Mineral basin alone would be enough to keep you entertained for a day.

Sponsor

Staff online