• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How is overall conditions in UT right now?

Currently have a trip booked to Squaw but looking to change destinations due to their lack of snow.

Looks like UT has some snow coming in the forecast but not sure it will make a difference or not.

My trip is for Jan 28th to Feb 2nd...

Check out Grand Targhee.....snow was great, crowds small......

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Still super low tide at snowbasin but the conditions have improved quite a bit this week with only a little bit of fresh snow. The crowds have thinned out and all lifts except except the Allen peak tram are open, even though there is limited ter rain unless you are willing to hit rocks & do some bushwhacking. Things are still pretty firm and slick at the bottom but some good off piste windblown snow at the top the last couple of days.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
^photos credit: Chris Morgan

NCAA Race, these kids are good!
image.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the wind buff at Basin was pretty nice, got more scoured yesterday, but the 2 days prior were a hoot! I heard The Jungle was skiing really well. Still not quite brave enough to venture over there for various reasons, conditions being one of those reasons ;)

4ster

Instructor
Not so sure about "scoured", which implies wind damage. More like skied off but still lots of relatively soft turns to be had.
Skied mostly Strawberry Saturday & Sunday, both days were warm. I'd say about 40*F with some heat softening on the sunniest slopes.
BTW, Middle Bowl Cirque opened Saturday. about as narrow as I've ever skied skiers left line on Lone Tree.

I am wondering if MODS can tag & move this thread to the regional forum? Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a great time for the few days we skied Deer Valley last week. We look forward coming back to Utah for The Gathering in March.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow stake at Snowbasin up to 4" at 8:00 PM!!!

4ster

Instructor
Got a few inches Friday afternoon for some good runs till closing.

What am I doing checking the snowstake at 1am?
09E328E1-D15A-41B0-A4AA-BC39E7B603B4.jpeg

Looks like it’s about over for the north, today is gonna be a frenzy!!!
DDF2EF70-2AB0-48AB-BC4B-8E7FD4F40A33.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a few inches Friday afternoon for some good runs till closing.

What am I doing checking the snowstake at 1am?
View attachment 37664

Looks like it’s about over for the north, today is gonna be a frenzy!!!
View attachment 37665
It's going to be a madhouse, for sure. Kinda glad I'm not there! Still too low-tide to trust a lot of off-piste areas.

4ster

Instructor
It's going to be a madhouse, for sure. Kinda glad I'm not there! Still too low-tide to trust a lot of off-piste areas.
My plan is to get there early & leave early. Wish I still had a pass at Pow Mow.
The tide is rising but slowly.

Have fun at Targhee!

4ster

Instructor
Managed to stay ahead of the curve & got a few hours worth of fresh tracks. I figured I would bail by 11:30 but managed to find quality turns (with a few rock hits & some bushwhacking), till 1:15. I skipped my usual powder day ritual of hitting JP lift & parked on the road by the old lodge. It was before 8:30 but traffic was already backing up. Anticipating a huge line at JP I found myself riding first chair on Wildcat. After a lap there & 2 rides on Middle Bowl, I just missed the opening of Strawberry so I hiked out aways to beat the first skiers unloading at the top. After a few laps Sisters gate #2 opened & was good for a run. By the second lap the bowls were completely traversed to death, which has become the norm there the past few years. Kinda sad :(

Maybe the longest line ever for me in Strawberry.
DEDFAD66-821D-4C8B-A514-EEA040278756.jpeg 54768650-3014-4EA5-B760-F6069C46F480.jpeg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like we followed a similar plan Jim. I hit the diamond and under the strawberry gondie a few times. Had to leave early as my cough was acting up.

4ster

Instructor
Sounds like we followed a similar plan Jim. I hit the diamond and under the strawberry gondie a few times. Had to leave early as my cough was acting up.

Uh oh, hope you feel better & you don't have what I had. I suffered the cough for 6 weeks beginning in August. First time I'd been sick during summer since I was a kid.

Snow totals were about what was expected. Nice to have some fresh & feel wintry.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the flu and the cough is lingering. But the snow today was totally worth it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad we are at Targhee. That's ridiculous. I just can't even...I wonder how many are Mtn Collective passholders from LCC?

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Powder had lines but nothing like your pics at the Strawberry gondola. Just... wow...
Great day up at Pow Mow today! A real wintry powder day at last.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I followed your exact plan @4ster. I was 2nd chair on wildcat lift, did 2 laps there, then a few laps on middle bowl, then went to strawberry till about 12 and then I was done for the day. Found good stuff for most of the day. Faceshots were in the day's itinerary!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online