• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wait a minute... 20,000 season passes sold at Snowbasin? Wow, that is crazy!

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Alta was crowded today. 5 minute lift lines but they were less around lunch time.
The snow was beautiful though - as we’ve come to expect. And the scenery........ There was plenty open but cover was understandably thin in spots.
Little Cottonwood is still the most wonderful ski destination in my family’s view.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Much better day at Alta yesterday. found great snow under the chair on Wildcat while all the tourists stood in line to ride Collins/Sugarloaf/Supreme
I love the Wildcat chair!
Actually, people are not using the Wildcat lift that much! It's become my go-to, as Herbert's is one of my favorite pitches to work on things on. Scare Hollow is thinning out now (relatively speaking) with people skiing out and in/in and out, and also Wildcat Bowl. School Hill finally doesn't feel like the 405 in L.A. at rush hour, either.

I'm not sure which place @Jim McDonald is talking about but does @AmyPJ realize she is talking about the Wildcat lift at Snowbasin while @blackke17 was talking about the one at Alta. Not as confusing as when someone uses SB as an abbreviation and you can't tell if they mean Snowbasin or Snowbird (if in UT thread) or Sugar Bowl or Super Bowl.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Wildcat at Alta from me (following on @blackke17 post). At Snowbasin I favor Strawberry.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure which place @Jim McDonald is talking about but does @AmyPJ realize she is talking about the Wildcat lift at Snowbasin while @blackke17 was talking about the one at Alta. Not as confusing as when someone uses SB as an abbreviation and you can't tell if they mean Snowbasin or Snowbird (if in UT thread) or Sugar Bowl or Super Bowl.
Yeah, I realized after I posted that this was getting a bit confusing!

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw DV hit their limit today and shut down sales
What a shitshow! I've never seen it like that before. Past limits were less and normally weren't in play unless most or all terrain was open. With limited terrain the runs were overrun and the lift lines at the lifts that were open were waaayy past the corals. We got in an early nine runs and then headed for cover.

Edit: The new holiday limit is 9,000. Yesterday there were 8,600 skiers with reduced lift operations. NOT a good thing to see under new ownership. I could head over to PC and join the shit show over there for a lot less money.

DV is a nice hill but it's primary attribute was lack of crowds. I've put them on probation.

Last edited:

mcl116

Booting up
Skier
How is overall conditions in UT right now?

Currently have a trip booked to Squaw but looking to change destinations due to their lack of snow.

Looks like UT has some snow coming in the forecast but not sure it will make a difference or not.

My trip is for Jan 28th to Feb 2nd...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How is overall conditions in UT right now?

Currently have a trip booked to Squaw but looking to change destinations due to their lack of snow.

Looks like UT has some snow coming in the forecast but not sure it will make a difference or not.

My trip is for Jan 28th to Feb 2nd...
Not good. I'd change to someplace further north if I were you.

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought you assured me the parrot’s lack of movement was due to its being tired and shagged out after a long squawk!
The parrot's been kinda depressed about the weather. She's like a different bird now.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having so little snow for so long we have a weak snowpack / depth hoar... Don't expect them to open new stuff up very quick.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Having so little snow for so long we have a weak snowpack / depth hoar... Don't expect them to open new stuff up very quick.
Add to that a rain layer that is falling right now, and it's ugly. Thankfully, that should be changing over to all snow later this evening, but...

TS
Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great to see a pattern change but we went up to 8,000 ft. today, found slush, transitioning to rain and actually left with even warmer temps expected during the day.

Headed to Targhee and Whitefish in a few days.​

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great to see a pattern change but we went up to 8,000 ft. today, found transitioning to rain and actually left with even warmer temps expected during the day.

Headed to Targhee and Whitefish in a few days.
Targhee late next week for me...might get a pass there next season.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Counter intuitive but warm with rain up high maybe a good thing for strengthening the snow. In the long run...

Last edited:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was snowing pretty solidly on upper part of PCMR. Wet, sticky snow good for filling in gaps (of which there are many and extensive). Hopefully the NW sector of this storm delivers tonight and tomorrow.

Sponsor

Staff online