• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Where is the Tahoe crew??? The Colorado thread is smoking us 66:13, lets get the stoke going here.
They (CO) will most likely be skiing (lift served) in about a month. We (CA) will be lucky to have much by Thanksgiving.

It did cool down enough at South Lake Tahoe that we ran heater although official lowest low so far was 33 on Sat. They keep showing lows in the mid 20s four or five days out, but kind of like free beer tomorrow it has not gotten here yet.

We stopped at Echo Lake on our way home on Sunday to eat our lunch. We saw a guy crossing the outlet dam with a snowboard and boots strapped to his backpack so people are still sliding on 2016-17 snow. Note there are a couple of patches in Desolation Wilderness behind me in picture of me with our dogs. image.jpg image.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where is the Tahoe crew??? The Colorado thread is smoking us 66:13, lets get the stoke going here.

We're outside playing. :)
Right??
There was something interesting about the weather this past year. Big winter, long hot summer.
But this week.....this week I took ziggy for a walk with a sweatshirt on, and I went for dinner wearing shorts, thinking.....Boy I should have gotten my pants out of storage!
Now BA's forecast has me thinking that its time to check OpenSnow on a regular basis.
http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely cooled down last couple of weeks here. At this rate I will nee to be getting the shorty wet suit out for the next few weeks paddle boarding before it gets to full wet suit time .....then to snow! :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It was a good day yesterday taking a ride around the lake.

21462803_10155490917276138_5566397527088932444_n.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Right??
There was something interesting about the weather this past year. Big winter, long hot summer.
But this week.....this week I took ziggy for a walk with a sweatshirt on, and I went for dinner wearing shorts, thinking.....Boy I should have gotten my pants out of storage!
Now BA's forecast has me thinking that its time to check OpenSnow on a regular basis.
http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe
viN5h.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now I wonder if it's gotten to the point where you no longer own any NON-PugSki clothes... I'm imagining PugSki ties, dress shirt, shoes, etc.... ;)
The funny thing is, we have been shopping and getting samples from different people to try to find some of the best quality logo wear. Some things have been better than others, but in the mean time, we have a ton of logo wear, some of which you'll see in the rotation in our Donate area.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
We're outside playing. :)

Yes, this past Sunday a family of friends took us out boating (at a warmer lake), it was soo much fun. I tried waterskiing for the time. I'll probably start a thread for it. It was hard. But I managed to fully stand once, and partially stand a few times, on my first day. I don't know if I will repeat. Simply because of logistics. I think you probably want to either get into it, or just not do it. Like snow skiing. Once a year doesn't seem to be a good idea. @Eleeski would know :)

One of the notable things was that the boat was, according to my friends, underpowered for two-familes plus an adult skier. So I was dragging a lot, and wasting tons of energy. Anyways, to your point. Outside, playing :)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, this past Sunday a family of friends took us out boating (at a warmer lake), it was soo much fun. I tried waterskiing for the time. I'll probably start a thread for it. It was hard. But I managed to fully stand once, and partially stand a few times, on my first day. I don't know if I will repeat. Simply because of logistics. I think you probably want to either get into it, or just not do it. Like snow skiing. Once a year doesn't seem to be a good idea. @Eleeski would know :)

One of the notable things was that the boat was, according to my friends, underpowered for two-familes plus an adult skier. So I was dragging a lot, and wasting tons of energy. Anyways, to your point. Outside, playing :)
A boat that can carry two families is almost certainly underpowered, by a lot, for carrying two families and pulling an adult skier. So you were dragging A LOT and wasting TONS of energy.

IMHO, it doesn't compare to snow skiing. But it is fun. I did it a LOT as a kid/teenager. Only a few times as an adult. But if you have another opportunity to try, you should GO FOR IT!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Summer technically is not over for a couple more days. Still a few more waterski tournaments left. The college season is in full swing. Off to coach the kids this morning! The waterskiing is still fun - but I did go out in a wetsuit yesterday for the first time since April. Sigh. At least I love snow skiing so winter isn't a drag.

@Mendieta @skibob or anyone else from here, you have an open invitation to ski with me. My lake is near Palm Springs so anytime you are near there, get in touch with me. The skis, boats, drivers and conditions make a real difference. I promise fun waterskiing!

Eric

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beautiful, how did you catch it? Natural bait?

The rainbow trout was caught on a "dry fly". If you look closely at the picture, you can see the "fly" at it's "nose". If you need to know more PM. [Apologies for the thread drift ;-]

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
The rainbow trout was caught on a "dry fly". If you look closely at the picture, you can see the "fly" at it's "nose". If you need to know more PM. [Apologies for the thread drift ;-]
Elk Hair Caddis prolly?

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Underpowered is an issue, especially when someone invites extra people.
When I lived in Michigan we had always had a ski boat, which we docked at a friends house on Lake Mitchell. The most recent boat was a 190 Horizon Jet boat which had plenty of power, but we often hooked up with other friends with boats to hang out on a sand bar, socialize, ski, tube, kneeboard, wakeboard. It was always easier to pull a strong skier if you had fewer people in the boat.

Summer technically is not over for a couple more days. Still a few more waterski tournaments left. The college season is in full swing. Off to coach the kids this morning! The waterskiing is still fun - but I did go out in a wetsuit yesterday for the first time since April. Sigh. At least I love snow skiing so winter isn't a drag.

@Mendieta @skibob or anyone else from here, you have an open invitation to ski with me. My lake is near Palm Springs so anytime you are near there, get in touch with me. The skis, boats, drivers and conditions make a real difference. I promise fun waterskiing!

Eric
As much as I enjoyed the friends and fun times on the water, I don't miss the work of having a boat.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Currently snowing at the base of Kirkwood. Just switched over. Ill update in the morning if it sticks. There was a thin layer of slop on my car.
I'll be eagerly waiting for your pics.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Underpowered is an issue, especially when someone invites extra people.
When I lived in Michigan we had always had a ski boat, which we docked at a friends house on Lake Mitchell. The most recent boat was a 190 Horizon Jet boat which had plenty of power, but we often hooked up with other friends with boats to hang out on a sand bar, socialize, ski, tube, kneeboard, wakeboard. It was always easier to pull a strong skier if you had fewer people in the boat.

As much as I enjoyed the friends and fun times on the water, I don't miss the work of having a boat.
Same here. We rent one on Donner Lake occasionally. Expensive. But a lot easier than owning one.

We skied Lake Wawasee in Northern Indiana when I was growing up. The owners of Thunderbird boats (now known at Formula) had a home on the lake. They photographed a lot of the brochures there. One day, on a challenge, my dad decided to try to pull 5 skiers. Behind an old Glastron with an oversized Evinrude outboard. After a great deal of work sorting ropes and what not, he dragged all of us (and we were all hardy Indiana boys!) until we were up. Next thing we know, a gleaming new Thunderbird cabin cruiser was planing next to us and the photography boat was snapping pictures. I am very proud of my appearance in the Thunderbird catalogue. Still waiting for the royalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.