• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Good days the past few days. I'm stoked about the snow we've got and glad we've got cold temps to make snow where mother nature isn't providing.

Tahoe Ride Report looks promising: Alpine Meadows is opening Summit and Roundhouse tomorrow.
TAHOE SKI & RIDE REPORT
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
We certainly are enjoying making turns under the California sun! Weather this week stays dry with abundant sunshine and highs in the 40s until Saturday when a cold front pushes into the area, bringing with it the chance for some snow flurries.

Tomorrow at Alpine Meadows we will run Summit and Roundhouse for the first time this season, allowing access to Wolverine Bowl and Alpine Bowl! Squaw Valley will be running 9 lifts as well, giving us the most open terrain of any Tahoe resort!

Snowmaking teams at both resorts are working every night in order to expand coverage, and cold evening temps are making for perfect conditions.
+1 on the three good days beginning Monday. Interesting how it's taking Squaw/Alpine two days longer to open Summit and Roundhouse than it did for Kirkwood to open chair 10/The Wall. I hope they can do better after storms the rest of the season. While I'm sure Kirkwood's base being ~900' higher helped, they also have much more extreme terrain that mostly or all opened and there is no easy or intermediate or even advanced way down. The main entrance at top did get scraped off to where you hoped your edge held, but there were other options.

Also interesting was that temps at Alpine base rose from below 30 before midnight to over 40 after 2 am. Hopefully they were watching those guns and not making rain.

On Wednesday, even though I didn't arrive until almost 10, I got the first parking spot after being at the other end of same row 6-7 cars away my first two days. 5066Pilot@KW.JPG

I skied 8 laps on Cornice with a few of them being 12 minute laps. On the last one I did the short hike to Corner Chute where the left side still had a little untracked. Also note the snow quality demonstrated by skier below me.
5062CornerChuteWed.JPG

I moved to the long slow Wall lift and had time for sandwich and beer that I'd been carrying during my five laps there.
5065BeerOnChair.JPG
(Note that even though beer is from UT it was over 7%). Finally connected with @SSSdave for a lap on the Reut before getting on the road home at 2.

Employee I rode lift with said chairs 7 and 9 will open this weekend and the Backside will open the following weekend (Dec. 9-10). He also said Kirkwood will stick to their April 8 planned closing date as extending their lease with Forest Service costs too much. When I asked if it was hundreds of $ per day, he thought it was thousands. It would be interesting to see the lease.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tony I have been looking at a lot of resort temps from base to summit and I'm thinking that Kirkwood had some of the colder temps, which allowed some snowmaking that other resorts weren't able to do.
But mostly, Kirkwood and Mt Rose are holding on to the snow they have because of their colder temps.

I'm a believer that a high tide raises all ships, so I'm hopeful that we see cold temps and natural snow to get everyone up and running soon!!

Last edited:

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
I'd say it's more likely that Kirkwood has a lot of long time mountain ops employees who have a better handle on the mountain and various situations. Since Vail didn't just fire everyone like KSL did at Squawlpine. On Monday they were actually apologetic about the chairs spinning 20-25 minutes late... it was a refreshing contrast.

(not that Vail is without its own faults, I've heard a lot of bad things coming out of Whistler)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Interesting how it's taking Squaw/Alpine two days longer to open Summit and Roundhouse than it did for Kirkwood to open chair 10/The Wall. I hope they can do better after storms the rest of the season. While I'm sure Kirkwood's base being ~900' higher helped

My educated guess is that it took those few days to make enough snow to connect the top with the bottom & get lift ramps ready. Right now 900’ is a big deal ;) . I guess I’ll find out today.

So far I’ve been impressed with the job Squaw has done getting things open & maintaining a quality experience. There are lots of hazards out there but they are mostly well marked without the need to close stuff.

I don’t know this but I think the FS lease excuse is BS! Kwood used to stay open later than many & I never heard of that being an issue :huh:. Either way if they would stay open longer I would probably have a pass there.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Even at Kirkwood, the snow was very thin for the last two hundred feet or so and a lot of water was still running under it from Sunday's storm. I tried to get a picture of the base on Monday but my phone decided it had enough use and needed power or heat to continue. The usual wide open routes between lift bases has a lot of brush sticking up and poles marking where water is under edge of runs so you are confined to narrower paths. They were blowing some snow Monday AM, but I think that was the only time I saw that.

I did get a late Monday PM picture of The Drain which is the exit from Wagon Wheel Bowl and is usually a big natural half-pipe that they eventually will groom. I only came done lookers right of it once on Monday and once on Tuesday. On other runs (snow was great most of the way down) I was able to avoid it by cutting lookers right high enough to get back to a run although I found a rock or two on the traverse I used Wednesday.
5052TheDrain.JPG
So far Kirkwood had not groomed any Cornice runs. Not sure whether it's a cost issue or they are afraid they will dig through the snow if they groom.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know this but I think the FS lease excuse is BS! Kwood used to stay open later than many & I never heard of that being an issue :huh:. Either way if they would stay open longer I would probably have a pass there.
Could it be because there are so many more passes than in the past? If they are getting mostly pass holders instead of day tickets they're making no money.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
Could it be because there are so many more passes than in the past? If they are getting mostly pass holders instead of day tickets they're making no money.

Yes and no. What you're saying is true, but before Vail took over it was still mostly passholders by April and May... and yet they remained open. It's pretty lame that the highest elevation resort in the area (other than Mt. Rose?) is one of the first to close now.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My educated guess is that it took those few days to make enough snow to connect the top with the bottom & get lift ramps ready. Right now 900’ is a big deal ;) . I guess I’ll find out today.

So far I’ve been impressed with the job Squaw has done getting things open & maintaining a quality experience. There are lots of hazards out there but they are mostly well marked without the need to close stuff.

I think you're painting an accurate picture.
While people are ragging on Squaw/Alpine, they've been putting money into improved safety and snowmaking.
In a year when Northstar hasn't even opened yet, due to warm temps and lack of ability to make snow, I'm not surprised that other resorts are having an issue with "connecting" runs to open up.

Not ragging on VR at all here, because they've had a rough go of it this year with 40º+ temps at N* and limited terrain at Heavenly, they're in a good position with the temps and natural snow that Kirkwood benefitted from...but the "earlier than it used to be" closures since VR buying it....that is a thorn in the side of the long time Kirkwood skiers.

The only place where I've heard about a mess with lifelines is Heavenly.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it really April 8? I thought it was like the 22nd.

Yeah that's crazy early and a wicked bummer.

Edit-looked it up as I just couldn't believe it but that's the announced day...damn! I would gladly trade the first two weeks with two in spring!

Edit #2- its slow as hell today. Its not like they are raking it in

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is it really April 8? I thought it was like the 22nd.

Yeah that's crazy early and a wicked bummer.

Edit-looked it up as I just couldn't believe it but that's the announced day...damn! I would gladly trade the first two weeks with two in spring!

Edit #2- its slow as hell today. Its not like they are raking it in
Nearly all the pics I've seen of most ski areas have been like private clubs. No lines, no crowds, but tons of good turns.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Top half of KW looks white but with lurking bonyness. The lower runs off Chairs 6 and 11 are fine though thin in spots with willow branches sticking out here and there. Best intermediate groomed snow is on Buckboard and Wagon Trail. Bumps on Short Spoke that has nice packed powder are very nicely small to medium size down the main track steep section and can continue to be worked in fall lines on the lower gradient run out all the way to the bottom. Out in the woods found the top 4 inches or so nicely light.

Thanks Tony for that info on KW opening more lifts. Nice meeting you. From your strong style, we ought to have some good fun on fresh snow days when I'm on my S3's. Looks like the Sunday storm is more likely to add just a few inches however forecast confidence is at this distant day still too low. I'm a wee sore in spots today haha so made the better decision to not push it driving home. Maybe get another day in Monday? That 3.5 hour drive each way is a mental impediment.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes and no. What you're saying is true, but before Vail took over it was still mostly passholders by April and May... and yet they remained open. It's pretty lame that the highest elevation resort in the area (other than Mt. Rose?) is one of the first to close now.
It would be interesting to know how many people had passes when Heavenly, N*, and Kirkwood sold their own passes vs Vail selling passes for all three. If they are selling fewer total passes than in the past but trying to operate all three resorts, they may be cutting budgets. I know they have a lot of other properties too and don't know how they do their books but maybe it's a possibility.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

LOL, I think we had this discussion last Spring in the 2016-17 thread beginning on about page 77 & maybe some other thread too. Probably even more ranting on epic before they shutdown. They are making plenty of money, at least the chiefs are & the stockholders for now.

“I said don't get me started but the Gorilla already has your money. It doesn't really make any difference if there are 30 or 3000 people on the hill, they sold 600,000 passes! I doubt if even mid winter there are many paper tickets flapping around. Everyone has season passes, passes they couldn't use all those days that the roads were closed or lifts were on windhold etc. . The Gorilla is not obligated, staying open is just the right thing to do.”

I’m not certain but I think they announced the April 8th closing AFTER they started selling passes :( . Corporate evil shenanigans... =BLASPHEMY!

So, I am pretty happy with my Squalpine Bronze Pass, today was day 23 on it counting my days in May & June. I’m sure I’ll get a few more before the masses show up & hopefully some more great Spring days come April. At least I know they will try to stay open.

Today I hit Alpine for the opening of Summit Chair. Not the big crowd I expected but enough folks to keep me looking over my shoulder. Coverage was pretty good up high but very boney below about the top of Roundhouse. It was skiable off piste but some narrow chokes once you hit the flats. A few more good snowmaking nights & things will be better.

Wolverine was pretty filled in
EC44C34C-D38F-4B55-A3CA-AC7B5300A547.jpeg

I ended up skiing this more easterly facing area most even though the North’s held lighter snow.
FA2D43BB-4535-478B-9CA1-513A3B211D2D.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its interesting to look back at last year's thread for our region.
First post from this day last year
Post 191 - We're getting a lot more chatter in this thread this year.

I went back in time again to see where we were a year ago, in what ended up being a huge snow year.
This is @John Webb 's post from December 2nd, (two days from now)
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/20...itions-meetups-thread.2726/page-13#post-76208
Wild holds today (Fri). Upper lifts closed at Squaw and Alpine.
Heavenly is on complete wind hold. Mt Rose is staying open to top.
Today was supposed to be the first day of season for Summit 6 at Alpine Meadows.
By this account from a year ago, Alpine is on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online