• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m at Stevens, snow is decent, a few sketchy spots with rocks and brush but not too bad. It’s pretty skied out so lots of choppy skiing. Daisy, Hogsback, Skyline and Tye Mill are open, and it looks like they might start spinning Kehr’s.

And the sun’s out!
CCEDD76E-687F-44ED-A2E9-45580A8BCB4A.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, Stevens opened Kehr’s between 1-3pm, but you needed to have a beacon, showel and probe to ride the chair, haven't seen that before. They hadn’t run any groomers there, still I can’t imagine it would be an issue, except people might hike to Big Chief Bowl or something. This pic was in the morning before they were spinning the lift, so people have already been skinning up.

486159CC-7E2B-4115-9735-14ACCCECFCAA.jpeg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have never heard of that happening, David. I imagine that they didn't blast the ridge above Big Chief Bowl so they wanted to cover their behinds. An avalanche on Showcase is hard to imagine.

TS
John O

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Crystal yesterday (saturday) was excellent. Sun came out, snow quality was excellent, coverage was much better than I expected even off trail. Just a fantastic start to the season. Hopefully the warm-up later this week is short lived and the snow returns soon.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lookout Pass was really good Friday the 17th. 6-10 in of fresh. Only front side chair one open so far so limited skiing. Skied face in about 10 in of good snow and alongside Hootowl was good, under chair 3 and off the backside and down to road. Almost ventured into Lucky Fri glades but didn't. I was really suprised with quality of snow for this early. Sorry about no pic's forgot phone.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bachelor went from hero to zero in 1 weekend. Closed till rain event passes.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens is also closed until Friday due to the rain.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens is closed until they receive about 12 inches more snow.

I’m thinking of heading to Baker either Saturday or Sunday. Anyone going?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd come down and buy one but doubt it could cross the border.
your not missing much by not skiing tommorrow.

At Whistler both hills are running more lifts are spinnig but has been warm and alpine still on hold

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is on Stevens website.
UPDATED: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2017 11:02 AM
Here we go!

We will be open for skiing and snowboarding on Wednesday, Nov. 29, from 9:00 AM-4:00 PM.

Chairlifts: Hogsback, Tye Mill and Daisy (additional chairlifts will open as conditions allow).

Ticket Prices:
Ages 16-69 - $40
Ages 7-15 - $28
Ages 70+ - $15
Ages 6 and under - Free

Ticket prices will increase as additional lifts are added.

Check back later today for additional information on the mountain services that will be open tomorrow.

Weather forecast: It's currently snowing moderately, and accumulating snowfall is expected today through tonight. Our base is 17-26". We have received 2" this morning, 2" overnight and 5" in the last 48 hours. The current forecast is for periodic snowfall into next week with more snow piling up!

We plan to operate daily 9:00 AM-4:00 PM. Operations are contingent upon weather and snow

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal Mt. Wed.
Yes, what a day! Six inches of new, with more in spots. started off with an untracked Gondi face to West face. You would bottom out now and then. I did five laps in Green Valley with a lot of untracked. I hit a few things but they were mostly twigs. Never any lift lines. There was just nobody skiing. Headed for Lucky Shot and there was more untracked. You didn't even have to look very hard. Then up to Forest Queen thinking I wood take a breather run, however the FQ chair line had just gobs of untracked The top steep part right under the chair had lots of rocks but from their down it was sweet. I checked out the lower chair six slope above the Downhill run, it looked good, lots of untracked. This required a bit of a hike but it sure was worth it. That plus untracked Rolling Knolls made from mighty fine run. Repeat a few times. After a short break, back to the GV Gondi face which was now fun, fine powder, crud, soft bump skiing. The rest of green Valley was more of the same with a few edges and tree lines with leftover pow. There was even a time about 1 o'clock when I was in Green Valley Bowl and looked around there was nobody else! That's how few people there were. The ski out, down Quicksilver, was fine. Bluebird sunshine, absolutely no crowd and really good snow. What else could you want?

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler
skied pretty well today (for a November day) -didn't go over the Blackcomb
a bit of boot high fresh overnight- except for ski outs mostly untracked all day - very empty hill - off piste it's still wise to pick your spots if your solo skiing
alpine again did not open, far too many built up cornices from all the wind and fresh snow lately. From a distance a number of those big rock tops are still exposed.
Todays fresh snow line was at base of mens downhill by the Olympic Ovals on Creekside , decent coverage down to that point.
Technically mid hill down is still closed, but many have been skiing to base. Once below the Ovals its picking a route rather than skiing.
Freezing level is expected to drop further this week,,a lot of snow guns are positioned on lower hill to take advantage of it, even without any new snow the lower hill should be opening very soon.
no pictures but for further info a good source is WayneFlann's avalanche blog.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker today
Very nice day. The lid that's been on the top of the mountain recently rose enough to be above the top lift so visibility was good, finally. There was some gusting so there were wind lips in funny places but it was all good snow and plenty of it. The wind filled in tracks so there was a lot of powder skiing going on. The crowd was small today, but most of the folks that were there seemed to be skiing C6, so I stayed over on C8 which was nearly deserted. The base is building nicely.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens - Fri 12/1
Lots of folks in the parking lots, they even had the parking attendants out. Light was a bit flat in spots, but not bad. No lift lines. Sky, Hogs, Tye, and Brooks were running. Seventh was open but only to people with a beacon shovel and probe. Coverage is pretty bleak, lots of holes, pucker brush, creek wells, but if you kept an eye out it wasn't too bad. The groomers held up pretty well. The snow was decent. There were enough off piste areas that were skiable to make today fun. The stuff off of Tye was the best. A pretty darn good day for our first day at Stevens.

Last edited:

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Crystal was a lot of fun today with the older powder monkey in tow. We tooled around Green Valley for half an hour then decided to brave the lineup at Chair 6 for the oddly scheduled "10 am - 2 pm Powder Bowl Fiesta". Defying all statistical probabilities we slid into line around 9:40 with only a dozen or so pairs in front of us. After puttering around for about 25 minutes, the first riders were waived forward and the now sizeable line erupted in a quick cheer.

At the top, the ridge was so rocky it was mandatory to take the skis off and walk down about 30 feet before you could click back in. After that we scooted down to one of our new favorite slots and ripped fresh turns all the way to Lucky Shot. Snow was really nice boot-top pow over a pretty easy to find, but also very edgeable rain crust.

After lunch we went back for another round and found one more untouched slot. My daughter suggested I go first which turned out to be a smart move.
Turn 1: Rock, not a big problem.
Turn 2: Rock, not a big problem.
Turn 3: Really big chunky rock, big problem.
All I can say is that when you're upside down in the air and trying to make sure you land square on your back, because that's where the metal shovel in your pack will protect you the best, it's not a great feeling. Luckily no harm done but I may have used up all the karma in my account.

So then little miss giggle pants, who weighs all of 53 pounds, picks her line and glides over everything with not even a tiny scrape. Nice! Maybe I should check out some of those 120+ mm pow sticks to keep my fat ass afloat during low tide after all.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Real seasons on
bluebird morning -some alpine lifts at Whistler have opened- man made blowing on to ski outs down at valley floor. Hopefully next download I take is in May.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Squeezed in another day at Crystal with the full crew, before the drought of the century hits. Found some soft snow lingering in the trees and also some more rocks underneath. Not sure what the snow pack will look like after the dry spell, may have to head up to Baker soon.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Usually I can buzz up to Hood during lean years but it's not looking like that's an option this year. Better rip while you can.