• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't comment on WC because I've never been. Plus I knew Jeff N. knows it so well.

I do have a brother, however, who for a time put in at least 30 times/year at Wolf for more than 30 years, almost all of it right next to the ski area, on dynafit (pin) tech bindings, mostly earning his turns (or at times skiing side country from the resort?). He says the short but sweet vertical drops through the tree glades in there never run out of unbroken lines, all day long. And the pitch is perfect for effortless weightlessness, perfect turns, especially when deep. You drop off, and then you float.
Afterwards, there is a runoff on relatively flat terrain, as I recall.

Maybe after going there you could figure out the location of that terrain.

I always meant to try this, but never did - not having tech bindings, long trip, etc. Not even when I lived in Durango.
But I have no real regrets, since I've loved the turns I've gotten, praise the Lord.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Winter Park skied well today though the hounds did show up. Had one of my longest runs of continuous untracked on Parry's and another stellar run on Belle Fourche.

Lots of blasting in the Cirque but Pano closed early. Bender/Boiler was a super soft last run.

Cold snow was slow fosho.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Able to get to BC today, only reported 7 inches, but stake looked more like 9. Continued to snow through out the day a couple inches. Not much in the way of untracked haha, but great snow and fun runs on Grouse Mountain and Rose Bowl. Saw Patrol open Stone Creek Chutes. Wonder what coverage was like haha.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad we decided to stay at Winter Park. We were tempted to head south but the 75 to 80 mph winds forecast sealed it. First two runs were magic. Like cheap cat skiing. But the mountain was tracked by noon. One guy on the chairlift said, 'I never knew there were so many unemployed people in this town."

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad we decided to stay at Winter Park. We were tempted to head south but the 75 to 80 mph winds forecast sealed it. First two runs were magic. Like cheap cat skiing. But the mountain was tracked by noon. One guy on the chairlift said, 'I never knew there were so many unemployed people in this town."

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Cirque day today!

Our group was just a tad too slow to get a fourth lap but the sled is running and there's lots of green on the sign. First run down Destiny was not my fave but Waterfall was, "as good as that area gets" according to the grinning patroller we met at the egress. Next two down South Headwall were much better.... Dapples and Happy Knoll did not disappoint. Stage Coach trees were cautiously good and Gambler was soft crud pillow after soft crud pillow. One good thing about the Sober Englishman is that Outhouse seems to hold up much better now.

Stopped into the shop and dropped off a boot, some binders and some NOS Maestros on my way home so tomorrow is new ski day!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

In this town? In this state!

Too many powhounds. They seem to pounce on any storm any day of the week anywhere near the front range (within 3hrs drive give or take). I have only driven a few times up i70 early in the morn and the procession of cars heading west is unreal.

I went up to ski the backcountry. Super mellow, awesome powder. As I drive out into the Berthoud Falls switchback I see 40 just shock full of cars coming down Berthoud Pass from WP towards Empire. I mean, it was a train of cars going 5mph bumper to bumper as far as the eye could see. Ridiculous. I was like WTF.

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, with social media, flexible work schedules and a season with slim pickings, I’m finding days with any snow are more packed than ever. Even at the smaller “gems”.
Sleeper pow days are super rare these days, especially when you have multiple forecasting sites.

In this town? In this state!

Too many powhounds. They seem to pounce on any storm any day of the week anywhere near the front range (within 3hrs drive give or take). I have only driven a few times up i70 early in the morn and the procession of cars heading west is unreal.

I went up to ski the backcountry. Super mellow, awesome powder. As I drive out into the Berthoud Falls switchback I see 40 just shock full of cars coming down Berthoud Pass from WP towards Empire. I mean, it was a train of cars going 5mph bumper to bumper as far as the eye could see. Ridiculous. I was like WTF.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah, with social media, flexible work schedules and a season with slim pickings, I’m finding days with any snow are more packed than ever. Even at the smaller “gems”.
Sleeper pow days are super rare these days, especially when you have multiple forecasting sites.

For the most part, you just have to ski in refill conditions. That’s either meant high wind exposure storm skiing or playing wind and terrain bets for buff and chalk.

I actually hope that the hordes all continue to chase next day powder and neglect wind days, because the latter are usually better anyway.

While the 5 of us were skiing this over the holiday weekend, well over 150 people were in line at the base and the powder hordes were at home.

A693A13C-388E-4B5A-89A0-C26B81E43736.png

Free refills, no competition. Bueno.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
FITs at the Boat. Did you ever hit it just right and feel like no one else was skiing? Well my friend and I hit it so perfect this AM. About 6" of really light snow fell overnight. For some reason no one was hitting the "Ridge" this AM. Check these out.

ridge me.jpg ridge.jpg buddy meadow.jpg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sleeper powder days are still to be had. Finally made it up to our little mountain by 2pm yesterday. They had only called 2" of snow, but most of the fresh fell after the snow report went out. Our mtn. has had almost no snow this season, and only half of it is open, yet even at our last run at 4pm when the chairs had stopped turning, we found fresh turns on a named run. Cheers to the little giants! :beercheer:

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
FITs at the Boat. Did you ever hit it just right and feel like no one else was skiing? Well my friend and I hit it so perfect this AM. About 6" of really light snow fell overnight. For some reason no one was hitting the "Ridge" this AM. Check these out.

I think I was there right after you. There were only three tracks when I went down. Conditions were so much better than I expected. Fresh could be found almost all morning. Some day we'll ski together...

Reactions: Ron
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
WP already showing about 3 this evening after 6 last night.

Which is good since I’m skiing there tomorrow.

Sponsor

Staff online