• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Today at A-Basin was so good. The entire frontside including The Spine off Pali is wind buffed smooth with a chalky surface, bottomless on steeper faces, and the lower Pali bumps were chalky enough to be fun. Everything was so edgeable that it basically negated pitch. Just slash a turn and ride your sluff down the pitch.

Looking back up The Spine.

8F1CD39C-D77C-41E2-BCFF-DF17603DFBA3.jpeg

And down.

C278E4F3-8CE9-440B-A9EE-57DE5CEF4DE8.jpeg

And up from mostly down.

F42508D0-CB17-4FD7-BD83-7D25A4A26E4A.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
But then the afternoon was all East Wall, which I’d forgotten was open. The lift lines, which were decent but no big deal, had largely disspated on Lenawee, and Land of Giants with so much wind buff was a freaking blast.

The entrance requires a dismount due to wind scouring.

D93B5A14-543A-45D1-815E-9D904B4C85E0.jpeg

You had to clip back in here to continue the traverse.

AEC91C7F-FDF6-435F-B348-BB78D8FD2726.jpeg

Skiing a saddle along the traverse.

F3043FCA-7891-4E39-B4E7-1F28006C5D6B.jpeg

Looking up to Upper East Wall. The notches have a lot of bare areas, but the run outs would be awesome right now.

4DE563B1-E309-4DC0-8277-CBB80B6CB94E.jpeg

Buffed perfection.

ED7E6977-4DF9-4C43-BEE7-B9BD4824803D.jpeg

You can see the snow pouring over and down the rocks in the middle. Zuma closed due to wind. We never went back there.

9EC033E5-EF99-4A09-B4C3-EE04B56EF9BD.jpeg

The three buddies I skied with in sequence. We skied this entrance to LoG again and again because it was so tasty. Including a falling over backwards in delight. Or exhaustion. Skied bell to bell.

2B667026-33BB-4B81-A3F7-98EE93BD6DC6.png

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Here's Jeff's Unofficial Guide to Wolf Creek on the Internet Archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20170427...com/a/wolf-creek-ski-area-co-unofficial-guide

Note the cautionary sections in that guide. Also, think about tree well safety:
http://www.deepsnowsafety.org/

50% odds fo 21" or more through close of lifts Tuesday at Wolf Creek is about a good as it gets!

View attachment 39792
http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_percentiles.php?ftype=percentiles&fpd=48&ptype=snow

Thanks! That is very timely. From about 9 PM last night until now every time I checked WC web cams it was dumping and every time I checked Monarch's cams I didn't see any hint of snow so I'm heading out now to finish the drive to WC. Neither place has a snow stake cam so I'm just guessing on one having way more snow than the other but I checked their cams about every 2 hours thru the night and WC always looked like a blizzard.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not having snow stake cams makes it tough to estimate. From 9pm last night I probably looked at the WC and Monarch cams 6-7 and it sure looked like it was dumping at WC so I was thinking 6" but they are only reporting 2". Must have been the wind blowing snow cuz it looked like a blizzard all night. At least I shouldn't have any trouble getting to WC.

It was blue skies all the way to S. Fork but I hit my first band of snow just now. Yea! IMG_20180219_071604274.jpg

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
Both Monarch and WC on a powder day are hard to beat.

They are easily beat by mountains with more vert, pitch, variety, etc.
I never got the "gem", "undiscovered" hype for either. Yeah, they are flat and short. No wonder it's less crowded.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Loveland got absolutely hammered by the latest wind event. The whole mountain. 8 is hardly skiable right now. 9 is a mess with the runouts obliterated.

Almost everything else is hard scour blasted. Hard to believe the contrast to how much the wind favored A-Basin.

Did find a little soft.

5E82CC9F-4BD1-4E1A-912D-82A3CC59AEF9.jpeg

Snow is finally coming in now. It should soften and integrate quickly as usual, but not stoked about this weird ‘need edges’ snow.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Jane skied really well today, super chalky and fast. Not too crowded. Coming down heavy in Fraser atm. The hill is prime for a thick blanket=D

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Started nuking @ Luv around 2.

FADBD357-B0AF-492F-8EF7-F9C564EBDA3F.jpeg

The surface conditions softened and some SSP (silky side pow) was enjoyed along with some of the Chair 1 goods.

5F6C61BE-4D7F-4275-A603-620E0F853634.jpeg

Gonna take a good cycle repair the exposed terrain wind damage, though.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Has been a weird storm at Copper. You could sit in center village and watch it snow up higher early afternoon. It was about 35 degrees. Started snowing at lower elevations around 2:00 p.m. Well not really snow but not really graupel. Just really wet frozen precip. Started absolutely dumping around 6:00 p.m.but it didn't last very long. Not doing much of anything now. I think there is suppose to be another band come thru later tonight. So far maybe a little over 3".

@surfandski you made the right call.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
OK. Since Jeff hasn't chimed in, I will tell you some of my favorite spots at Monarch. I'm not an expert there. skied it maybe 15 times. All of it is fun while powder is fresh. So don't overthink it. All the terrain off the Pioneer and Garfield lifts is great while the powder is fresh. At the top of Garfield there is an obvious tiny hike that goes under the lift shack to Christmas Trees, but it can get chewed up fast (it is obvious, right). So if it is, you can access those trees on the other side of the shack, just go around it. Mirkwood is a lot of fun, but you may find it a relatively short slide for the long hike. I like to hike it part way and then go right around the outcropping and ski the ridge down through east trees or Lodgeview trees. It's a nice long run and often holds fresh tracks after other spots are skied out. Curicanti has a bad aspect, so ski it early in the day or it sets up if it's warm. has a backcountry feel. Gunbarrel is worth the hike. I like to ski the trees on the side of it. It is a good stash spot because most people don't want to make the little uphill effort. Sheer Rocko is also a lot of fun and not skied too much. Lots of small skates or uphill hikes will bring you freshies after the runs are chewed up. And all the trees - unmarked trees too - are fun.

Have a blast!

Sorry I'm late to the party. Today was my first day on skis in the past 1 1/2 months, we are welcoming our tiny human into the world- born January 12.

27657906_10155318405877897_9107252921286657011_n.jpg

As for Monarch, of any place within day ski range of the Front Range, it has by far the least powder competition. Terrain is good enough but mountain is short.

I've skied Monarch for 30 some years, most of it as my home mountain. Last had a pass there in 2010, but still get a few days most seasons. One eye opening thing the past few seasons is they have low-key gladed out a TON of that mountain over the past few years. Pretty much the entire mountain has some wonderful trees- back in the 1990's there were a lot of snags and tight areas. basically pick an aspect and go nuts these days. Some standouts are Rock-O and High Anxiety Trees, and GBT- Gunbarrel trees skiers left of Gun Barrel.

The face skiers left of Panorama, with, Rock-O, High Anxiety, Jr's Zipper, etc offers the steepest terrain that you can lap off one lift. As a result, most of the locals beeline here first thing on a powder day. Still plenty to go around, but it will ski better in the morning. Even the local influence doesn't seem to go to the trees here.

Outback, Shagnasty, and Curecanti are good small powder bowls, but only with fresh snow. They mank up horrendously when the snow stops and the sun comes out. Shagnasty and Outback seem to be getting skied a lot more these days too..

Mirkwood is almost always worth the hike for windloading and snow quality. All of it is approachable. Orcs is the easiest line, Mirkwood proper has a great cornice entry and is one of the steeper lines (maybe 40*), Staircase is the most technical with some (avoidable) cliffs and couloir sections. It is a pretty short descent before you are on the return track, but if it is snowing, it is good.

As for Christmas Tree, Jerez is right, it is popular. Honestly, I've never really felt it, it is actually kind of a PITA traverse because you have to go uphill with skis pointed straight forward, hard to even duck walk. It skis out quick too, and the terrain is the same as lift served no traverse stuff. So, cheat. Instead of traversing above the lift shack, get off Garfield and hang a hard right into the trees immediately off the lift.. This is Sleepy Hollow Trees, gets skied a lot less, and offers a lot of the same as Christmas tree with no hike. Cross Sleepy Hollow and drop into the trees below for more goodness.

Powder day afternoons, I usually ski the Kanonen-Examiner Face. These two runs expand out into a lot of terrain with countless openings with fresh snow dropping down into Tango. It is really easy to get lift served freshies here all afternoon- powder bumps up top, untracked lines below.

I usually finish out the day with Gunbarrel trees to ski down to the parking lot- Especially now with our motorhome, as motorhome parking is right underneath Gunbarrel (and yes, Monarch is generally 100% ok with camping in their lot- just park under GunBarrel and follow instructions if you get any). On a powder day you will usually have to click out and do a short hike, but it is more of a 3-5 minute one to get to the top of Gunbarrel.

You won't like Monarch if you are unsatisfied unless you can ski fall line for 2000+ feet. You get 800 at a go. There is lots of 30-35* terrain but almost nothing steeper. Be ok with that and you will have a better powder day than anyone hitting up a Summit County resort.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Purgatory was shockingly good, for the two runs I had taking a break from baby watching duty. The mountain was absolutely deserted. I believe the storm scared all the tourists into starting their drive home early, and most of the locals figured it would be a shitshow or have just given up on this season. At 2:00, I was skiing a consistent boot to knee deep snow on the far right of Pandemonium just off the trees. In other news, oh my god am I out of shape, this being only day 7 this year and the only day so far with any ungroomed terrain open. What a season! :/

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today was a blast even though it was one of the most bizarre days I've skied. As I mentioned earlier, I had been watching the webcams at both WC and Monarch and never a flurry at Monarch but WC was full on blizzard every time I checked all thru the night so I was totally confused when WC reported only 2" this morning. I got to the parking lot about 7:30 and there was at least 6" in the parking lot so I went ahead and grabbed the Spurs. I went up Treasure and immediately knew I was on the wrong skis as there was only 1-2" of powder on top of perfect wind buff. I went to the car and grabbed my SN108s and they were the perfect ski for this snow. Though most of the mountain only had 1-2", for some reason Alberta Face was close to 12" so I lapped that a number of times even though visibility was near zero.

So what was so strange about today? I've never been somewhere where it was snowing so hard but with zero accumulation and I quickly realized that it indeed did snow hard all night but it was blowing sideways and right off the mountain. The wind was also so strong that it was immediately buffing anything that actually made it to the ground. And it wasn't actually snow. It was raisin sized ice pellets that were nailing your face at incredible speeds. How windy was it? I saw at least 5 24" diameter trees go down either from blowing over or from snapping clean at the trunk. These were not dead trees either. The lifties were on edge all day and kept asking us if we came across any more downed trees. I watched one of them fall right across one of the runs I had just skied and another fell but was caught against another couple trees right by the Alberta lift and they had to shut it down because they were worried it was going to fall down on the cable while people were on the lift. Another first for me was being on Treasure which is a detachable quad with 75 mph gusts (per the lifties). One gust was so strong while riding up with ski Patrol that both of our skis snapped backward so hard the tails slammed the back of the chair and both of us turned to each other and were like holy crap! I started using the safety bar after that one. I experienced winds way stronger than anything I've experienced at Loveland and couldn't believe they were still running the detachable quads. The trees were swaying so hard back and forth that I was just waiting for one to come down onto the cable and launch us off. They closed that quad and all but one lift by 1:30 but surprisingly they kept running one detachable quad and I nervously rode it to the end. Winds were swirling from every direction so the trees were swaying all over the place.

But the snow was really fun as every run the wind had buffed any previous tracks but it got shallower and shallower by 3 and in spite of how much it snowed there today, it wasn't even 1" deep by the end of the day (other than a few protected spots).

I was a bit nervous going there solo in white out conditions on a mtn I didn't know but it's such a great and easy mountain to ski. At first I was moving really slow as you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you but I quickly realized there wasn't any real technical terrain to worry about (I'm sure you can hike to some technical stuff so I'm just talking about lift serviced terrain). I skied pretty much every line off of Alberta (only a couple of the Waterfall gates as this was the only place on the mountain with bad coverage), Treasure, Bonanza and Raven and never had one of those, "oh crap, I hope I don't fall here moments". It's just a very fun and forgiving mountain with some of the easiest and nicely spaced trees I've skied in Colorado. I don't mean it as a negative when I say it skis easy because it was absolutely perfect for me and a total blast. My ankle is like a governor on a gokart so I can't do super technical chutes where you have to point it straight down for 50 yards before you can make your first turn so this terrain was just perfect for me and it would be incredible with a foot a snow so I'm hoping they get some tonight. A lot of WC reminds of Loveland if you were to strategically place trees all over the top of Luv. I would feel way more comfortable skiing WC solo on a big day than Loveland as I have felt way more isolated doing cat laps when its storming.

I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow. If I knew WC was going to get some powder I'd love to stay and ski it but if it's not going to get much then I may head up to Monarch so that I have less of a drive back after skiing. The hard part is without snow stake cams, there is no way of knowing how much snow they are getting. It may be dumping and sticking right now or it may be like last night and today where it snowed hard for 18 hrs straight without any accumulation. Who knows, Taos may have gotten several feet of WC's snow today but I don't think they will end up with 20cm, let alone the 20" Joel was forecasting.

Though today wasn't at all what I expected, I'm stoked I came as it was a very fun day on very fun snow!

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@surfandski sounds like an excellent adventure.

That’s nuts WC was running a detachable in the face of that kind of sustained wind. It was raging again at Luv and a struggle to even dismount on my one ill advised chair 9 run.

I’m really hoping this wind cycle abates soon. I love wind loading, but I cannot believe how badly it hammered Loveland after yesterday’s perfection at A-Basin.

It’s been snowing more than forecast along I-25. My hunch is that bodes well for Monarch.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry I'm late to the party. Today was my first day on skis in the past 1 1/2 months, we are welcoming our tiny human into the world- born January 12.

As for Monarch, of any place within day ski range of the Front Range, it has by far the least powder competition. Terrain is good enough but mountain is short.

I've skied Monarch for 30 some years, most of it as my home mountain. Last had a pass there in 2010, but still get a few days most seasons. One eye opening thing the past few seasons is they have low-key gladed out a TON of that mountain over the past few years. Pretty much the entire mountain has some wonderful trees- back in the 1990's there were a lot of snags and tight areas. basically pick an aspect and go nuts these days. Some standouts are Rock-O and High Anxiety Trees, and GBT- Gunbarrel trees skiers left of Gun Barrel.

The face skiers left of Panorama, with, Rock-O, High Anxiety, Jr's Zipper, etc offers the steepest terrain that you can lap off one lift. As a result, most of the locals beeline here first thing on a powder day. Still plenty to go around, but it will ski better in the morning. Even the local influence doesn't seem to go to the trees here.

Outback, Shagnasty, and Curecanti are good small powder bowls, but only with fresh snow. They mank up horrendously when the snow stops and the sun comes out. Shagnasty and Outback seem to be getting skied a lot more these days too..

Mirkwood is almost always worth the hike for windloading and snow quality. All of it is approachable. Orcs is the easiest line, Mirkwood proper has a great cornice entry and is one of the steeper lines (maybe 40*), Staircase is the most technical with some (avoidable) cliffs and couloir sections. It is a pretty short descent before you are on the return track, but if it is snowing, it is good.

As for Christmas Tree, Jerez is right, it is popular. Honestly, I've never really felt it, it is actually kind of a PITA traverse because you have to go uphill with skis pointed straight forward, hard to even duck walk. It skis out quick too, and the terrain is the same as lift served no traverse stuff. So, cheat. Instead of traversing above the lift shack, get off Garfield and hang a hard right into the trees immediately off the lift.. This is Sleepy Hollow Trees, gets skied a lot less, and offers a lot of the same as Christmas tree with no hike. Cross Sleepy Hollow and drop into the trees below for more goodness.

Powder day afternoons, I usually ski the Kanonen-Examiner Face. These two runs expand out into a lot of terrain with countless openings with fresh snow dropping down into Tango. It is really easy to get lift served freshies here all afternoon- powder bumps up top, untracked lines below.

I usually finish out the day with Gunbarrel trees to ski down to the parking lot- Especially now with our motorhome, as motorhome parking is right underneath Gunbarrel (and yes, Monarch is generally 100% ok with camping in their lot- just park under GunBarrel and follow instructions if you get any). On a powder day you will usually have to click out and do a short hike, but it is more of a 3-5 minute one to get to the top of Gunbarrel.

You won't like Monarch if you are unsatisfied unless you can ski fall line for 2000+ feet. You get 800 at a go. There is lots of 30-35* terrain but almost nothing steeper. Be ok with that and you will have a better powder day than anyone hitting up a Summit County resort.

Great detailed writeup. Take care of that precious cargo.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier

Thanks for the info and congrats on the new born! I'm enrouteo to Monarch but not sure what to expect. The past couple days there was no snow stake cam at Monarch and this morning all of a sudden there is. The loop only shows 2" in the last 24 hrs but their snow report says 12" so we shall see.

WC is equally trivial this morning as they are reporting 17" from the storm with 9" overnight. However as of 4pm yesterday it was only 1/2"-1" deep in untracked spots so I'm not sure how much of that 17" is actually skiable powder. Monarch is on the way home so that was the safer bet.

Sponsor

Staff online