• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Northstar was strange today. Good hero snow. Quickly, and I mean quickly devolved into mush. Then clouds rolled in and literally the snow started to go backwards toward hero snow. Never made it all the way back . . .

Then, on last run headed down Logger's loop. Only to see ground squirrels everywhere in the middle of the runs. They'd see you coming and "poof" disappear. Not run off, but disappear. Turns out they are coming out of hibernation and burrowing up through the snow. Little 4" holes in the snow everywhere! When a skier comes they retreat to their burrow. Kinda fun once you know you aren't going to hit them!
missed ya. See you tomorrow.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know that spot. Let me guess, she is saying "And over there you can see Squaw Valley" ?
Lake Tahoe. But we also saw the other 350°. :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know that spot. Let me guess, she is saying "And over there you can see Squaw Valley" ?
Actually I was pointing to Heavenly.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Mendieta there is no reason in hell that you should pass up Sugar bowl and drive and extra hour to go ski mount rose. NO. REASON. AT. ALL.

(Not snow, not terrain, not vibe, not how crowded it is, not price--NOTHING.)

Thank you, Jed. I want to thank you, @Bobalooski , and others here for pointing into Sugar Bowl for my needs / wants. It certainly fits well. A 2.5 hour trip is very different. I can drive up Friday night with my son, sleep in Auburn on the cheap, and then wake up at 7, breakfast, a short drive and be at SB really early for easy parking, coffee, etc.

I do love Rose, and I find the Incline area really cozy for longer trips (like a December week on the snow). I am thinking of doing:
  • the slightly restricted pass for Sugar Bowl, for both my son and I. I could go ski Saturday with him, get the passes, and use them for the day and next season. He really liked the terrain from my go pro grabs and the pics I took.
  • renewing the Rose pass for longer trips (multi days), for all three (my son and my daughter besides me, my better half has no desire to ski)
The rationale is that the girl will probably not join a day trip. And if she occasionally does com to SB, I can get her a 'buddy' ticket or something

Am I missing something? Is there a cheaper/better way to do this? (as in using a multi-area pass, etc -- I don't think either Rose or SB are part of any collective pass; Thoughts appreciated!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thank you, Jed. I want to thank you, @Bobalooski , and others here for pointing into Sugar Bowl for my needs / wants. It certainly fits well. A 2.5 hour trip is very different. I can drive up Friday night with my son, sleep in Auburn on the cheap, and then wake up at 7, breakfast, a short drive and be at SB really early for easy parking, coffee, etc.

I do love Rose, and I find the Incline area really cozy for longer trips (like a December week on the snow). I am thinking of doing:
  • the slightly restricted pass for Sugar Bowl, for both my son and I. I could go ski Saturday with him, get the passes, and use them for the day and next season. He really liked the terrain from my go pro grabs and the pics I took.
  • renewing the Rose pass for longer trips (multi days), for all three (my son and my daughter besides me, my better half has no desire to ski)
The rationale is that the girl will probably not join a day trip. And if she occasionally does com to SB, I can get her a 'buddy' ticket or something

Am I missing something? Is there a cheaper/better way to do this? (as in using a multi-area pass, etc -- I don't think either Rose or SB are part of any collective pass; Thoughts appreciated!
Cheaper? Yes. Stay in Truckee for your longer trips. I get the idea that there are things your wife likes to do in IV while you ski? See if there are comparables in Truckee. Its definitely not as Posh as IV, but its got a lot going on. Then one pass to SB for all is cheaper. And accommodations are generally cheaper in Truckee.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Cheaper? Yes. Stay in Truckee for your longer trips. I get the idea that there are things your wife likes to do in IV while you ski? See if there are comparables in Truckee. Its definitely not as Posh as IV, but its got a lot going on. Then one pass to SB for all is cheaper. And accommodations are generally cheaper in Truckee.

Oh, I meant cheaper as in "cheaper passes" or cheaper ways of getting passes for our needs/

In terms of lodging: she just likes Incline, the beach, the town, etc. Fancy/posh accommodations are much more relevant when you are not skiing. Truckee: we did sleep there a couple times on the way to Rose, but this is in boys' trips, which would turn into SB trips, which sill be shorter and inexpensive.

But thank you for reminding me. Next longer trip I will ask for ideas of things to do in Truckee ... even if staying in IV, it's a short, lovely drive. Cheers!

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
:snowball: Final day of Sierra-at-Tahoe was a good one even if the snowball wars got a little out of control.

Softened just enough but never got sticky...

My ripping niece Shannon & Mt. Ralston.
image.jpeg

With Olympic 1/2 pipe champion Maddie B. rockin' on the blades.
image.jpeg

Afternoon bumps on Clipper.

Light rain snow mix at lake level this morning.

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@4ster The Clipper bumps look in top shape. To bad Sierra had to close today. I heard they have rented out the entire mountain for pro-sessions starting this week. In fact, Bashful park has been closed for prep work for more than a month now.

One more cross-post from the Northstar gathering thread-

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Oh, I meant cheaper as in "cheaper passes" or cheaper ways of getting passes for our needs/

In terms of lodging: she just likes Incline, the beach, the town, etc. Fancy/posh accommodations are much more relevant when you are not skiing. Truckee: we did sleep there a couple times on the way to Rose, but this is in boys' trips, which would turn into SB trips, which sill be shorter and inexpensive.

But thank you for reminding me. Next longer trip I will ask for ideas of things to do in Truckee ... even if staying in IV, it's a short, lovely drive. Cheers!

Yeah, what he said. Just get one pass. That's all you need.

If you want nice, and family, for a week (if they're snow) stay on West Shore and ski Homewood with your family. Everyone knows West Shore=Best Shore. (And that's from someone that has a sister with a house lakefront on Lakeshore Drive in Incline.)

http://www.cedarcrestcottages.com/

or

http://www.sunnysidetahoe.com

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@4ster The Clipper bumps look in top shape. To bad Sierra had to close today. I heard they have rented out the entire mountain for pro-sessions starting this week. In fact, Bashful park has been closed for prep work for more than a month now.

One more cross-post from the Northstar gathering thread-

Yea, & Dynamite was just getting skied back into shape yesterday afternoon. Sad to see places close when the skiing is so good :( . It was busy too!

More Clipper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online