• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Awesome video. I think the steep parts are at the very top in the entry points, and this video was created past that?

Drifting a bit, but it was asked on another thread the other day, but I'm not sure there was a clear resolution. This video is hosted on facebook. That's pretty much the only way to post clips, right? Post on a video service (could be vimeo/youtube/etc) and then embed the remove media from here ... thanks!
Take a look at the resolution now...if that is no different, you might have to click the HD button yourself which is under the settings (cog) button.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Take a look at the resolution now...if that is no different, you might have to click the HD button yourself which is under the settings (cog) button.

Ah, but the original question (and my own curiosity) was, really, whether you can take a video and simply upload it to the Pug server like you upload a pic on the spot ... I don't think that's possible, right?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Goofed uploax.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
How is the snow holding up at N* and other "lower than Rose" elevations with the sun and rain this week? Are opening bell frozen dangerous? Anything worth skiing after noon? Just trying to plan my day tomorrow and sunday . . .

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
N* has been holding up really well this week. Crispy first thing in the morning then softening nicely by 11 or so on the western aspects.
Creamy by 0930 on the easterns and the backside ok by 1000-1030 depending on the refreeze temp. I have been shutting it down by 1230 but thats just my preference im sure you could push it to 1330 or better.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the snow holding up at N* and other "lower than Rose" elevations with the sun and rain this week? Are opening bell frozen dangerous? Anything worth skiing after noon? Just trying to plan my day tomorrow and sunday . . .
N* is skiing nicely today. A little crispy opening but softening quickly. Backside is getting really good at 11:30.
Beer on the deck.

Last edited:

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
I was able to get out this afternoon and skied Squaw from 12:30 to 4:00. I had a great time. I love spring skiing and it didn’t get much better than today.

Here’s a few random pics from today. Note: The pictures aren’t exciting, but they might give someone a sense of what the conditions are currently like at Squaw.

34186945745_2621803bc4_b.jpg

Taken from KT chair.

33802873060_134d535e76_b.jpg

KT: West Face and Chute 75.

34186948225_127737e041_b.jpg

Taken from KT chair.

34186948975_f793c39346_b.jpg

Top of The Slot.

33802878770_cb8a4e677d_b.jpg

Top of Headwall.

33802880200_6901298746_b.jpg

Light Towers off of Headwall.

34146340686_4c9fb58503_b.jpg

Headwall Chair.

34186952455_573d03cd67_b.jpg

Red Dog Chair.

34146342066_e9dc483cd8_b.jpg

Siberia.

34146342676_24e5ddabdb_b.jpg

Hogsback. (Off of Headwall)

34186954695_bcca32788f_b.jpg

Palisades. (Taken from top of Headwall.)

34146343576_1fc9b14721_b.jpg

Top of KT. (Looking towards Headwall)

34186956235_477b0acb72_b.jpg

Taken from KT chair.

34146345566_a4b8995f85_b.jpg

Taken from KT chair.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Northstar was strange today. Good hero snow. Quickly, and I mean quickly devolved into mush. Then clouds rolled in and literally the snow started to go backwards toward hero snow. Never made it all the way back . . .

Then, on last run headed down Logger's loop. Only to see ground squirrels everywhere in the middle of the runs. They'd see you coming and "poof" disappear. Not run off, but disappear. Turns out they are coming out of hibernation and burrowing up through the snow. Little 4" holes in the snow everywhere! When a skier comes they retreat to their burrow. Kinda fun once you know you aren't going to hit them!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Northstar was strange today. Good hero snow. Quickly, and I mean quickly devolved into mush. Then clouds rolled in and literally the snow started to go backwards toward hero snow. Never made it all the way back . . .

Then, on last run headed down Logger's loop. Only to see ground squirrels everywhere in the middle of the runs. They'd see you coming and "poof" disappear. Not run off, but disappear. Turns out they are coming out of hibernation and burrowing up through the snow. Little 4" holes in the snow everywhere! When a skier comes they retreat to their burrow. Kinda fun once you know you aren't going to hit them!
I had a bug/moth flying around inside my goggles at N* yesterday. Is this the spring skiing people talk about?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Arrived in Tahoe Wednesday night. Interesting Contrast between Thutsday morning...
image.jpeg

...& the same time from 2015
image.jpeg

Skied at my old stomping grounds of Sierra at Tahoe Friday & Saturday. A few good corn runs past the western boundary first thing then some sweet softening groomers mid morning & into the Clipper bumps in the afternoon. The kids even dragged me into the half pipe a couple of times. While they are throwing tricks above the wall, I was safely content banking turns about halfway up.
Alec proving overalls aren't just for work anymore:
Alec (Bubba).jpg
After working there for almost 25 years it was fun to re visit after being away for about 15 years! Still love it there. Heading back tomorrow to meet up with my niece for the day.
Their last day is Monday with customer appreciation day $25 tickets. Proceeds go to area youth sports programs. Check the website for hours & details.
As with everywhere in Tahoe, still some big snow banks.
image.jpeg

I pulled the trigger on the Squalpine midweek pass, so I will need to get some days in there during the next month.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Lovely day at Sugar Bowl. I went to scout the area, on behalf of my kids :)

I parked early at Judah, and off I went. Got a ticket, full price, ouch. Grabbed breakfast in a very empty lodge (there were probably 6 more tables occupied). Headed to the lifts.

Sugar Bowl has a very well thought out lift system. Very little traversing on catwalks (thank you), and for the most thing, you ski top to bottom, like in Deer Valley. I explored quite a bit of the mountain for the few (four) hours I spent. My last run was close to 1pm and it was nasty slush. I don't need an injury, I simply left.

The run of the day was Van Ruiten's run, off of Christmas tree. I overheard someone said that they set the gates there? In any case, it was holding up much better than most, and I took a lot of runs to improve my carving a bit. Some of the better skiers were there, ripping it, running drills, etc.

I also enjoyed bumps. I can't believe I would ever say that. Thank you @Mark Downing for the suggestion and @lswedish for the bumps lesson. There were soft, moderate bumps in some of the mild single blacks (Donner's way and Steamers), and in a mild bowl to the right of Christmas Tree, as you go up. I took a few of those runs. Not as much rithm and flow as I should have, but it will take some time and I am loving it.

Disney and Mt Lincoln have some naughty terrain. Some stuff I should venture into, yet.

Overall, it seems to me that this mountain offers a lot more to the intermediate than Mt Rose. Which doesn't mean I don't still love Rose. It's just that there is a lot of mild terrain labeled as blue, rightly so, but on the mild side of blue. Which is great to develop skills. Most blues in Rose are steeper. Overall, I like the landscape better in Rose, and I don't know why. I somehow feel more inserted in a mountain. The train horn goes off now and then in Sugar Bowl and that's not ideal. Not a deal breaker, but I didn't quite feel as connected with the mountain.

The vibe was really good. Lots of locals, as it turned out from my conversations. I spoke to a bunch of people, since I went solo.

Ok, some pics.

TOP OF JEROME HILL EXPRESS LIFT:
20170422_094455.jpg

DONNER'S WAY RUN:
20170422_095705.jpg 20170422_095715.jpg

MT LINCOLN EXPRESS LIFT:
20170422_101756.jpg 20170422_101800.jpg

TOP OF MT LINCOLN:
20170422_102407.jpg

VAN RUITEN'S RUN:
20170422_113642.jpg 20170422_113653.jpg

THE BOWL OFF CHRISTMAS TREE (Mentioned above)
20170422_114033.jpg

LUNCH :)

20170422_120300.jpg

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
I didnt see your post from this morning until i got home. I was one of those doing laps on van ruitens. You heard correctly about the gates. That pitch is closed most of the time for the race school or races being held there. Perfect pitch to let it rip and drill on. I made the call to shut it down for the day at about 11 due to too many people trying to go down it and it getting too soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online