• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
;)
Thanks. The patchskiing should be all-time this summer. Carson Pass should easily have snow until next season starts. There are plenty of other easier access options available if you time it right. I'll be skiing often this summer. Send me a PM to join me or to get beta. Perhaps @Philpug will start another summer skiing thread like he did last year.

You can actually start a new thread yourself, why not? :)

This could be a good time for a first post with a couple pics from last year, and a primer: what level of skiing is needed to do it safely, what's the basic equipment, etc/

I am thinking, in my case, for instance. I am not even sure I am ready for this. I have skied 3 seasons in a row, so far, about 60 days total. I do groomers, and I'll pretty much take any groomer, but I only, typically, ski aggressively in blue runs. I have ventured in more natural terrain, but mostly when the groomers get tracked up and develop smooth bumps. Plus, I have a one-ski quiver, a regular downhill ski. Do you need lighter skis? Or different bindings? So many questions. Do you need skins? Dedicated, light skis easy to hike with? Etc.

All things said, it would be LOVELY to do some patch skiing in the summer. I just have no idea where to start. There are probably other people in a similar situation. It could be a separate thread in the 'newbie' section, for instance.

Wonder if @Philpug and @Tricia have thoughts on that, since we are trying to bump up the beginner section. This is not for a truly beginner, but rather, for someone new to patch skiing. Still "newbie", in that sense.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
;)

You can actually start a new thread yourself, why not? :)

This could be a good time for a first post with a couple pics from last year, and a primer: what level of skiing is needed to do it safely, what's the basic equipment, etc/

I am thinking, in my case, for instance. I am not even sure I am ready for this. I have skied 3 seasons in a row, so far, about 60 days total. I do groomers, and I'll pretty much take any groomer, but I only, typically, ski aggressively in blue runs. I have ventured in more natural terrain, but mostly when the groomers get tracked up and develop smooth bumps. Plus, I have a one-ski quiver, a regular downhill ski. Do you need lighter skis? Or different bindings? So many questions. Do you need skins? Dedicated, light skis easy to hike with? Etc.

All things said, it would be LOVELY to do some patch skiing in the summer. I just have no idea where to start. There are probably other people in a similar situation. It could be a separate thread in the 'newbie' section, for instance.

Wonder if @Philpug and @Tricia have thoughts on that, since we are trying to bump up the beginner section. This is not for a truly beginner, but rather, for someone new to patch skiing. Still "newbie", in that sense.
Yes, @Stev surely can do it. I think it would also be great to do a 'Patch Skiing 101" article/thread. The Do's and Don't, there will be a ton of patch skiing this summer and I think @Stev is the man to write something. We have some video from last summer that is still in the can that @DoryBreaux could add to to. What do you think guys?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's kind of strange. What about the people who live up there or are staying at the hotel?
Actually, The Ritz is closing for 2 weeks. All employees are under a contract, which ended yesterday. The new contract starts in two week. There are no rooms booked and all instructors who work out of the Ritz are officially done.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Yes, @Stev surely can do it. I think it would also be breat to do a 'Patch Skiing 101" article/thread. The Do's and Don't, there will be a ton of patch skiing this summer and I think @Stev is the man to write something. We have some video from last summer that is still in the can that @DoryBreaux could add to to. What do you think guys?

I think an article would be best. And there is time. Of course, I am a reader of this, but I would be more than happy to help with early feedback, etc. Cheers!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing N* today. Wonky weather but the skiing ignore too bad. Heavy cream on top of groomers. Little rain shower just blew through and things got sticky quickly. Several "first runs". 20170417_092822.jpg

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Skiing N* today. Wonky weather but the skiing ignore too bad. Heavy cream on top of groomers. Little rain shower just blew through and things got sticky quickly. Several "first runs". View attachment 22465

Holy crap, andy. That looks AWESOME. I know those conditions...and even untracked it's like butter....

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier

"patch" skiing has different meanings to different people. Can be VERY mild, and easy going...or VERY rowdy do-not-fall type situations. It just--differs.

@Mendieta perhaps MAYBE you want to ski through the year, and then let your stoke flourish (remember you should only really have 4-5 months off) the remaining months...and polish the skill set before you jump into summer skiing?

I dunno...or maybe you rip, and are ripe to hit high elevation summer patches....

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
"patch" skiing has different meanings to different people. Can be VERY mild, and easy going...or VERY rowdy do-not-fall type situations. It just--differs.

@Mendieta perhaps MAYBE you want to ski through the year, and then let your stoke flourish (remember you should only really have 4-5 months off) the remaining months...and polish the skill set before you jump into summer skiing?

I dunno...or maybe you rip, and are ripe to hit high elevation summer patches....

That's helpful, Jed! Exactly, that's my point, I am definitely not going to be following expert BC skiers. What I would like/need is to hit the snow now and then to avoid suffering too much, and to your point, to try something mild, if there is such an opportunity. I definitely have a lot of technique to polish at this point. So, I spend a lot of my season skiing (most) in terrain that I can handle easily and practice technique on.

The biggest thing, really, is that i got seriously hooked to skiing. And I miss it too much in summer. And my family varies between little, some, and no interest. They are lovely enough to putting up with this in winter, but it would be abusive to take them to a ski/wrod place in the summer. So, it really comes down to this: I can probably get away in the summer, now and then, for a day-trip to patch skiing. But yes, it needs to be safe for my current level, which is lower than 95% of this forum ;)

Cheers!

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
That's helpful, Jed! Exactly, that's my point, I am definitely not going to be following expert BC skiers. What I would like/need is to hit the snow now and then to avoid suffering too much, and to your point, to try something mild, if there is such an opportunity. I definitely have a lot of technique to polish at this point. So, I spend a lot of my season skiing (most) in terrain that I can handle easily and practice technique on.

The biggest thing, really, is that i got seriously hooked to skiing. And I miss it too much in summer. And my family varies between little, some, and no interest. They are lovely enough to putting up with this in winter, but it would be abusive to take them to a ski/wrod place in the summer. So, it really comes down to this: I can probably get away in the summer, now and then, for a day-trip to patch skiing. But yes, it needs to be safe for my current level, which is lower than 95% of this forum ;)

Cheers!

Here's how you go about going patch skiing.

Drive to a high mountain road (like Highway 88 is a great place, as is Mt Rose Highway; even 80 this year will be good) and park car.

Grab skis. Boots can be in backpack, or you can be adventurous) and hike in them (that sucks though).

Hike to patch or bowl, or line that you see is good for your ability.

Put on boots.

Start hiking up.

Put on skis.

Start Skiing down.

Repeat.

"patches" this summer can and will be VERY big.

NOTE: Your physical conditioning is just as important as your skiing ability, if not more so.

For the ultimate "summer patch" skiing activity this summer, I would try this to get started.

http://shastaguides.com/ski-board/

High intermediates would be fine.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
This weekend was vey good. Friday had some real cold powder in the AM and the backside of Northstar skied fantastic all day because it was in the shade, anything that was sun exposed started to get sticky pretty darn quick. I will say the crowds were better than I expected for mid April and that is a good sign for some of the resorts to stay open longer. I think most people would be happy with 9-1 hours, not much need to stay open past that, the snow is just too grabby.

I was hoping for a "last day of the year" demo/tailgate at Northstar but Highlands will be shut down so cannot ski to and from the lot..can ski down at the end of the day but but not take the lift back up so changing skis out is not an option, bummer. If anyone is interested in doing an afternoon tailgate, let me know and I thik we can put that together.

I will contribute a case of beer and a few bottles of vino....

PS: It was a GREAT fri/sat/sun of skiing.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Total hype.
I don't know. I've heard it from several places over the weekend. It would be kind of neat but I wonder how many people are going to drop the change to ride and hike.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This weekend was vey good. Friday had some real cold powder in the AM and the backside of Northstar skied fantastic all day because it was in the shade, anything that was sun exposed started to get sticky pretty darn quick. I will say the crowds were better than I expected for mid April and that is a good sign for some of the resorts to stay open longer. I think most people would be happy with 9-1 hours, not much need to stay open past that, the snow is just too grabby.

I was hoping for a "last day of the year" demo/tailgate at Northstar but Highlands will be shut down so cannot ski to and from the lot..can ski down at the end of the day but but not take the lift back up so changing skis out is not an option, bummer. If anyone is interested in doing an afternoon tailgate, let me know and I thik we can put that together.
Maybe we can swing something at the Slide side of Rose. Drag a trailer up there, do a bbq in the lot. Even into May.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Oh, and at this time of year you have to time Slide side right. It get a bit more sun so has more of a freeze/thaw cycle than rose side. I took a couple of runs on Slilver dollar first thing yesterday and today and it was certainly filling rattling with some groomer holes!

Sorry, I forgot to address this bit, but that's great info for anyone doing Mt Rose in Spring. Mid morning might be your best bet.

Maybe we can swing something at the Slide side of Rose. Drag a trailer up there, do a bbq in the lot. Even into May.

The 'park and ski' lot to the right (and above) the main parking lot also sees some bbq action now quite frequently, afaict ...

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skiing N* today. Wonky weather but the skiing ignore too bad. Heavy cream on top of groomers. Little rain shower just blew through and things got sticky quickly. Several "first runs". View attachment 22465
Wow, looks like you had your own private resort.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Squaw rumors are (likely) partly true. I heard that they may stay open year round for select groups and/or race camps. When Phil and I skied there a few weeks ago, we hit Silverado side and questioned whether or not the hiking up Shirley, which is something we do every summer, would be possible this year.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online