• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just got the SR88 last month and have 4 days on them. Really fun and major confidence building ski. Very light. Can't express how much fun they are.

C'mon, you can tell us. We are all friends here.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hola Everybody!

I'll be in Tahoe on my solo end-of-season trip next week - skiing April 21-24 (Fri-Mon). I will be using my MCP at Squaw Alpine.
Anyone want to meet up for a few runs, lunch, or après?

I'm planning on 2 days at Squaw and 2 days at Alpine. I've become more confident/comfortable on blacks this season, so I'm really hoping to explore some of the advanced terrain at both these mountains....Can you guys offer any tips on "easy" to "regular" blacks at both mountains? I am also interested in dabbling in trees....Basically, I am super adventurous and am up for anything within reason.
Squaw is so big that I've never quite gotten my head around it.

Lastly, does anyone know of any shops that demo Stocklis and/or Kastles? ...The only one I see so far is Willard's Sport Shop in Tahoe City.

Cheers and maybe we'll see each other out there!

Kara
:beercheer:

I'll miss you, but thanks for the heads up. I am likely to be in Mt Rose next Saturday. If destiny takes you there, you can PM me, and I can get you a cheaper (I think $70) "buddy ticket". Cheers!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Can't say anything bad about Squaw any more ! !:golfclap: Today Squaw was off the charts Awesome ! ! ! Had low expectations due to a lot of rain
a couple days ago. The new low elevation snow last night bonded perfectly. No ice. One run on KT & one on Sibo. Stayed on Headwall rest of day.
It was all good, Nose, North Bowl, Slot, HW Face, Chutes to skiers right of Slot -stuff I hadn't skied this year . You could ski most anywhere on soft
packed ( no mank, no crust, no mashed potato's) Just point and go! ! !. Very forgiving easy turning snow. Bluebird all day. In running for best day
of year (along with a Sugar Bowl day) No lines.

Oh, and The Palisades were going off, including the Chimney with perfect snow.. Amazing just to watch Those who arrived at opening bell
said it was even more amazing. (That's if they missed the 45 min CF stop at Kingvale on I-80 ) I missed that one. Red Dog lift is now running.
:cocktail: A large one of these :wag: was by himself in the drivers seat in the Subaru next to my car. lol

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The scuttlebutt at SB is they'll stay open weekends thru Memorial Day if they have the traffic. That's a big if. In other words, who the h knows?

I don't really get something. A big chunk of the people skiing Tahoe, presumably come from Sacramento and the Bay Area. Just in terms of sheer population, at least. SB is a short trip, and given the pictures and videos I've seen, has a lot of great terrain. It gets lots of snow. How could it not get enough, and actually, too much traffic? Is it a resort or more of a ski area? Something doesn't add up in my mind :)
The harsh reality is, by this time of year those who aren't as crazy about skiing as we are, are already thinking about other things like biking, golf, tennis, sailing....
Resorts end up hosting the mountain for a handful of pass holders who have a routine and don't spend much $$ at the hill this time of year.

I pulled into Northstar to work yesterday and was shocked to be able to park in B lot at 8:15, after a snow storm brought a nice refresh and the sun was out, and it was Good Friday, so the kids were out of school. If this had happened a month ago, I'd have been parking at the Castle Peak parking lot at 8:15.

Its tough for resorts to stay open when the numbers are low, so I understand why they make the decision to close, but its irksome to see all that snow and know that it could be open.

:nono:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Those who arrived at opening bell
said it was even more amazing. (That's if they missed the 45 min CF stop at Kingvale on I-80 ) I missed that one. .....

Some of us were Reeeaaaallllyyyy lucky and got caught in both the Cisco Grove chain control check point AND the Kingvale one; added an extra 1.5 hours on to the drive. Seemed like there was an explosion of big rigs - far more than cars, and many of them were simply waiting, not chaining up, for the chain control to lift. I was repeatedly forced over the the inside shoulder (thank god there was one!) by 3+ lanes of trucks just sitting there. Since I'm a glutton, I enjoyed the whole fiasco so much, I sailed on over to Truckee for a pre-ski boot fitting and then got stuck AGAIN heading back up to Donner summit. I was exhausted before I actually got my skis on snow ....... but it sure was good!

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Reasonable move as Spring sking is half done. Oops, It's been almost all winter conditions
this year. Where's spring? :huh:

Waiting for them to match the deal Squawpine & Diamond PK have.
"Bring your pass from another ski area and ski for $29 or $59" etc.

Also I see no Senior or Super Senior pass option.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its a combo of really missing the Sierra this year and a good opportunity to make $$$ with good ski time that's bringing me back. I leave here, NH, the day after mothers day. That probably means a droughts brewing but....

How is the prospect of hiking for turns looking this summer? I'm south of the lake so I imagine some good early summer corn up on Carson Pass?

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, short trip with Mendieta Jr today.

Drove half way Friday Night, stopped at Auburn, early up, grabbed breakfast to go, we were at Rose 8:30. Very few cars at the main lot.

We headed to Kit Carson Bowl, which was good, Right after we saw @ScotsSkier at the lift, always a pleasure to chat with him. As we got to the top, we decided to try the slide bowl. Access to Sunrise Bowl was nice and soft, but the bowl was hard frozen and rather irregular (think little frozen balls all over the place, over a soft groomed that was really scratchy. Most likely it was groomed early and re-froze.

Anyways, pretty nasty. We both made it down a bit shaken, headed to Big Bonanza, which was much better but had some semi-frozen areas towards the bottom. So we went back to the lodge side which was holding up better. Did some of the blacks under the NW chair (see pics below, these are Northwest Passage and neighborhood. They were skiing nicely mid morning, and presented lovely soft bumps after our early lunch.

It wasn't super crowded but it was hard to getting used to things like, two snowboarders being pretty anal when I asked to use the lift back, then two snowboarders completely drunk, like seriously. They were drinking while riding and they could hardly speak, cursing in front of kids, pretty embarrassing. Later a snowboarder stopped dry in front of me and I hockey stopped. I barely touched his board, and he actually apologized. I also had a boarder (sigh) coming down on a straightline from above in a narrow groomer (Ramsey's) yelling YEEEHHAAA. Who are those people? Anyways, moved to the side carefully and let him and gang go through.

There was also the skier craziness. A lot less, but still there. Two different parents took snowplow kids to the Chutes (I saw that from the lift). One of them was injured when we lapped next time. What were they thinking? Those are double blacks with really steep headwalls. And they had been closed because they were too frozen.

Also, another kid almost crashed my son. It was on a black diamond (NW Passage); the kids was straight-lining on a wedge. Again. What are these people thinking. Luckily, no injuries, but we left after that run. 1:20 pm. Basically, we avoided most for the crowd with an early lunch 11 am, and by leaving when the crowd was back. Better safe than sorry.

The drive back was 3:30 hours, a pleasure. We were here at the East Bay 5:30 with no issues. Lovely day. I just wish there was better behavior on the slopes. Still a good day,

20170415_124715.jpg
20170415_124709.jpg
20170415_124702.jpg
20170415_124655.jpg
20170415_124646.jpg
20170415_124343.jpg
20170415_124337.jpg
20170415_124321.jpg

Attachments

• 20170415_124325.jpg
    20170415_124325.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Its a combo of really missing the Sierra this year and a good opportunity to make $$$ with good ski time that's bringing me back. I leave here, NH, the day after mothers day. That probably means a droughts brewing but....

How is the prospect of hiking for turns looking this summer? I'm south of the lake so I imagine some good early summer corn up on Carson Pass?

You might be able to catch some runs in Rose, Brian, closes on Memorial day. I think @Stev is the resident expert for hike-an-ski over here?

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier

You might be able to catch some runs in Rose, Brian, closes on Memorial day. I think @Stev is the resident expert for hike-an-ski over here?

Thanks. The patchskiing should be all-time this summer. Carson Pass should easily have snow until next season starts. There are plenty of other easier access options available if you time it right. I'll be skiing often this summer. Send me a PM to join me or to get beta. Perhaps @Philpug will start another summer skiing thread like he did last year.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Here at Kirkwood for their closing day. Too bad they have to close with so much snow...

Day started pretty firm. Backside softened for quickly as expected. But went into wind hold just after we got a bit couple of runs. The covered wagon Cornice was huge! We went around it, hehe.
Rest of the day going down the Cornice area shower left from to off chair #6. Much easier entries.

Started to get cloudy, flat lighting, and a little grabby around 1pm and we called it a day.

Covered wagon-
IMG_20170416_110455-01.jpeg

This "balcony" usually has steps leading up a floor. Today had not to walk down to it-
IMG_20170416_130108.jpg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Drove half way Friday Night, stopped at Auburn, early up, grabbed breakfast to go, we were at Rose 8:30. Very few cars at the main lot.

We headed to Kit Carson Bowl, which was good, Right after we saw @ScotsSkier at the lift, always a pleasure to chat with him. As we got to the top, we decided to try the slide bowl. Access to Sunrise Bowl was nice and soft, but the bowl was hard frozen and rather irregular (think little frozen balls all over the place, over a soft groomed that was really scratchy. Most likely it was groomed early and re-froze.

Anyways, pretty nasty. We both made it down a bit shaken, headed to Big Bonanza, which was much better but had some semi-frozen areas towards the bottom. So we went back to the lodge side which was holding up better. Did some of the blacks under the NW chair (see pics below, these are Northwest Passage and neighborhood. They were skiing nicely mid morning, and presented lovely soft bumps after our early lunch.

It wasn't super crowded but it was hard to getting used to things like, two snowboarders being pretty anal when I asked to use the lift back, then two snowboarders completely drunk, like seriously. They were drinking while riding and they could hardly speak, cursing in front of kids, pretty embarrassing. Later a snowboarder stopped dry in front of me and I hockey stopped. I barely touched his board, and he actually apologized. I also had a boarder (sigh) coming down on a straightline from above in a narrow groomer (Ramsey's) yelling YEEEHHAAA. Who are those people? Anyways, moved to the side carefully and let him and gang go through.

There was also the skier craziness. A lot less, but still there. Two different parents took snowplow kids to the Chutes (I saw that from the lift). One of them was injured when we lapped next time. What were they thinking? Those are double blacks with really steep headwalls. And they had been closed because they were too frozen.

Also, another kid almost crashed my son. It was on a black diamond (NW Passage); the kids was straight-lining on a wedge. Again. What are these people thinking. Luckily, no injuries, but we left after that run. 1:20 pm. Basically, we avoided most for the crowd with an early lunch 11 am, and by leaving when the crowd was back. Better safe than sorry.

The drive back was 3:30 hours, a pleasure. We were here at the East Bay 5:30 with no issues. Lovely day. I just wish there was better behavior on the slopes. Still a good day,

]

Mendieta, good to see you yesterday. So sorry your day was spoilt bit by some yahoos. My apologies on behalf of Rose. Not normal but yesterday seemed to have a lot of visitors. Sorry to say you picked the wrong day. Today was epic!. hardly anyone there this morning, looks like easter devotions took precedence. Waterfall this morning was incredible, never seen it so wide. I was skiing with some of my athletes and getting them to turn the wick up a bit so we were treating it like a fast GS course ( or maybe a Super G!) and just ripping it . Real hero snow!

Oh, and at this time of year you have to time Slide side right. It get a bit more sun so has more of a freeze/thaw cycle than rose side. I took a couple of runs on Slilver dollar first thing yesterday and today and it was certainly filling rattling with some groomer holes!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Mendieta, good to see you yesterday. So sorry your day was spoilt bit by some yahoos. My apologies on behalf of Rose. Not normal but yesterday seemed to have a lot of visitors. Sorry to say you picked the wrong day. Today was epic!. hardly anyone there this morning, looks like easter devotions took precedence. Waterfall this morning was incredible, never seen it so wide. I was skiing with some of my athletes and getting them to turn the wick up a bit so we were treating it like a fast GS course ( or maybe a Super G!) and just ripping it . Real hero snow!

Oh, and at this time of year you have to time Slide side right. It get a bit more sun so has more of a freeze/thaw cycle than rose side. I took a couple of runs on Slilver dollar first thing yesterday and today and it was certainly filling rattling with some groomer holes!

No worries at all, @ScotsSkier ! I did talk to the folks at the Rose office right after the encounter with the two completely drunk riders. They notified Ski Patrol. Not sure if they found them, but at least no serious injury to them or other seems to have happened.

My ski planning is a bit backwards, and like you suggested, Easter was already a day I was going to spend here in my town, so the question was whether to ski Saturday or not ski at all. And the choice is simple.

Frankly, the yahoos didn't spoil our day, we just left each time it got funky. Once to have early lunch, the other to home home with the girls. It's all good. We had a lovely day.

We are improving a bit each time, exploring and more and more of the mountain, it's all good. Love Rose!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 22387
View attachment 22388
View attachment 22389
View attachment 22390
View attachment 22391
View attachment 22392
View attachment 22393
View attachment 22395
Bummer about the Yahoos, but glad you got out to get some spring turns in. Nice pictures

Here at Kirkwood for their closing day. Too bad they have to close with so much snow...

Day started pretty firm. Backside softened for quickly as expected. But went into wind hold just after we got a bit couple of runs. The covered wagon Cornice was huge! We went around it, hehe.
Rest of the day going down the Cornice area shower left from to off chair #6. Much easier entries.

Started to get cloudy, flat lighting, and a little grabby around 1pm and we called it a day.

Covered wagon-
View attachment 22421

This "balcony" usually has steps leading up a floor. Today had not to walk down to it-
View attachment 22422
Most of these resorts are closing with a ton of snow. Can't believe how buried the trail signs are, a week from closing

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Weather forecast for the day was spot on- called for snow starting by 3pm. We left Kirkwood around 2:15pm and were well below the pass by 2:45pm when it started to rain. Rained quite heavy for the next 2 hours of the drive home.

One last pic from today- from one of the easier cornice entry points off chair #6-
IMG_20170416_185123-01.jpeg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This weekend was vey good. Friday had some real cold powder in the AM and the backside of Northstar skied fantastic all day because it was in the shade, anything that was sun exposed started to get sticky pretty darn quick. I will say the crowds were better than I expected for mid April and that is a good sign for some of the resorts to stay open longer. I think most people would be happy with 9-1 hours, not much need to stay open past that, the snow is just too grabby.

I was hoping for a "last day of the year" demo/tailgate at Northstar but Highlands will be shut down so cannot ski to and from the lot..can ski down at the end of the day but but not take the lift back up so changing skis out is not an option, bummer. If anyone is interested in doing an afternoon tailgate, let me know and I thik we can put that together.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
but Highlands will be shut down
That's kind of strange. What about the people who live up there or are staying at the hotel?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's kind of strange. What about the people who live up there?
They will just act like it is a Wednesday. ;)

They can either take the shuttle to the village and ski home which is still better than a couple of years ago, Homerun didn't even open.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I was hoping for a "last day of the year" demo/tailgate at Northstar but Highlands will be shut down so cannot ski to and from the lot..can ski down at the end of the day but but not take the lift back up so changing skis out is not an option, bummer. If anyone is interested in doing an afternoon tailgate, let me know and I thik we can put that together.

Suzy will be there with the kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.