• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2016-17 PNW Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I searched to see if someone had already started this thread but couldn't find it. If it's out there, feel free to close this thread.

So after a very concerning start to November, winter has arrived. I was up at Crystal yesterday (Sunday), no pics unfortunately, but the snow was superb. Deep and light, still had to be a little careful of what might be under the snow in spots, but things are filling in quickly. Hopefully this is the start of a good season to come.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
I searched to see if someone had already started this thread but couldn't find it. If it's out there, feel free to close this thread.

So after a very concerning start to November, winter has arrived. I was up at Crystal yesterday (Sunday), no pics unfortunately, but the snow was superb. Deep and light, still had to be a little careful of what might be under the snow in spots, but things are filling in quickly. Hopefully this is the start of a good season to come.

Sunday was really nice with the whole fam-damily. I'm heading up solo tomorrow (Northway is scheduled to open after two days) to see if I can snuffle out some powder truffles.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Everything is opening up in the pnw. Big dump starting Thursday. Great start for us.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was attending instructor clinics both Saturday and Sunday at Stevens. Lots of people, which often happens when there's a big dump, but I've never seen it this early in the season. Usually opening weekend is me and a few dozen other die-hards.

This time, there were long lines at all the ticket windows, and they eventually worked their way to the lift lines. All the parking lots were filled. On Saturday they opened up Kehr's (Big Chief), which helped a lot, they were able to get Tye Mill open as well. Surprisingly, 7th Heaven was open, too.

I have to say, it was among the best early season conditions I've ever seen. The snow was good, top to bottom; on the main runs on Hogsback and Skyline the creekholes and rocks I usually see were pretty well covered.

On Sunday, with 17" overnight, there were possible even more people on the slopes. They opened Jupiter on the back side around 1pm. Man, it was deep over there, they had rolled a groomer earlier in the day but new snow had fallen on that as well, and it got chopped up pretty quickly. Off-piste on the backside was risky, you might get stuck, and I saw a lot of people who did. I saw a snowboarder sunk in up to his knees trying to dig himself out.

With any luck by this weekend the Double Diamond and Souther Cross lifts will open, too. Good start.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, I'm trying to clear my schedule on Wednesday mornings, so anyone who wants to meet up at Stevens, send me a PM.
@Posaune I can also go to Baker some of those days.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
@slowrider - how's the road to Bachelor? I have FWD with winter tires and will be driving from Portland. I was planning to leave late Thursday afternoon, but the forecasted 1-2" of precip in Portland could shut everything down, so I'm planning to leave late Wednesday to get over the pass.

Warmer temps forecasted after that so I'm expecting roads will be good for the return trip Saturday or Sunday.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
@VikieH century dr is packed snow most of the way to the hill and rocked. Main roads are clear but slick spots. Good tires and easy does it you'll be fine.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Thanks. I've never driven up, but don't really want to take the shuttle up as I'll have old boots and stuff in case Mark cares about any of it. Hauling that via shuttle would be ugly.

My ski season can officially start after Friday!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Century Drive from Bend to Bachelor is the easiest drive to a ski resort I've ever seen. Very gradual climb in elevation, no major turns, no hills, no hiccups, easy-peasy.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Its an easy drive compared to most ski hill roads and well maintained. Conditions are great. Have a goodtime.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Per Stevens' website, Double Diamond and Southern Cross lifts are now open. Basically the whole mountain is now open. :golfclap:
I also glanced at Crystal and Northway is now open. :golfclap::golfclap:

The Summit is now open. :Cristmassnow:
I imagine Heather Canyon at Mt Hood Meadows will be open pretty soon. :daffy:

Mission Ridge looks to run Chairs 1, 2, and 3 starting Thursday. :wag:

And temperatures are forecast to stay cold, so the snow we have should preserve well, even as we get more snow.

So....to whomever made whatever bizarre sacrifices or quirky rituals to make the snow happen...thank you very much.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Per Stevens' website, Double Diamond and Southern Cross lifts are now open. Basically the whole mountain is now open. :golfclap:
I also glanced at Crystal and Northway is now open. :golfclap::golfclap:

The Summit is now open. :Cristmassnow:
I imagine Heather Canyon at Mt Hood Meadows will be open pretty soon. :daffy:

Mission Ridge looks to run Chairs 1, 2, and 3 starting Thursday. :wag:

And temperatures are forecast to stay cold, so the snow we have should preserve well, even as we get more snow.

So....to whomever made whatever bizarre sacrifices or quirky rituals to make the snow happen...thank you very much.

I will believe Heather/PR being open when I see it. I stay pessimistic in this regard. The snow has been pretty light. Not sure if it has been the best for building the snow bridges needed to ski out.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will believe Heather/PR being open when I see it. I stay pessimistic in this regard. The snow has been pretty light. Not sure if it has been the best for building the snow bridges needed to ski out.

It's been a long time (read: before PR was legal, before HC lift put in) since I've skied Heather but it seemed like 60+ inch base was minimum. Other runs like Absolute Magnitude needed more.

Many fond memories of crossing 6" wide snow bridges on one ski in the spring...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It doesnt get any better than this.
Bacho.jpg

Attachments

• Dyna.jpg
    Dyna.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 10

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's Stevens on Monday, Polaris Bowl on the backside. It snowed all day, maybe the last snowy day for a week. It's been two weeks straight of fresh snow, every day. The conditions in these pics were challenging but fun, basically cut up snow with a fresh 3" on top.
IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

snoempath

Booting up
Skier
Mt Hood Meadows:
Great skiing the last two weeks. They've already gotten nearly one third of the snow they'd get in an entire year in the first couple of weeks. More on the way tonight too.

By monday, most of the "early season" rocks and other stuff was well covered.

The lower reaches of private reserve opened Monday too, IIRC. Hopefully we'll get Heather Canyon in the next few days. Bluebird pow day on Monday. [Well part of the day anyway. The front moved in and out most of the afternoon. But at least a substantial part of the time it was sunny and awesome. The rest of the time it was just awesome.]

Probably up again Friday and perhaps Sunday or another day early in the week. Would be glad to meet up and ski/ride some snow together!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid