• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NonNativeRado

Astonishingly Mediocre
Skier
Looks awful. We should take up a new hobby in another state.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I found a crew of people to hang with (read: guide me) on Saturday at Loveland :) I'm pretty sure they're going to lead me into trouble, but nothing I can't handle.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And don't ski into a barely covered rock garden.

Seriously though, that's almost impossible to predict if you don't ski the area regularly. This is where guides come in!

Tomorrow morning, I will have a difficult decision - Do I go out on the Zeldas (yum), or do I go out on the La Ninas I haven't even skied this season, but which I lurved last season? (Hah, I suppose the Fat-ypuses could be an option, too, but that's an awfully big jump)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
nam3km_ref_frzn_us_16.png

The snow falls until Sunday. 10-20 inches on EC. Looks like a great event for Colorado, a good top up for late April. Interesting with the heavy falls on Eastern Colorado.
nam3km_T2m_us_42.png

As you can see quite a cold system, affecting Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.

graphic.aspx

On the 3-4 May Period, some snowfall (2-5 inches) will fall in the Central Ranges.

IMG_0631.png

10 day EC Snowcast.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Those who've been paying attention - how does the recent forecast impact mid to long term backcountry safety?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Increased snowfall will likely result in increased hazard. I know this sounds a bit Madden-esque, but the old snow pack was fairly well consolidated due to the freeze thaw cycle and had lots of opportunity to glaze on the surface. The relatively dry snow won't be bonding well to the firm under-surface so as the weight of the snow builds the likelihood of an avalanche will increase.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The key thing is that there is likely a strong, possibly slick, layer under our new snow. The best way for it to integrate and reduce danger is for it to melt some and bond with ice to the layer below.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The key thing is that there is likely a strong, possibly slick, layer under our new snow. The best way for it to integrate and reduce danger is for it to melt some and bond with ice to the layer below.

We skied Gauthier yesterday. Not a good idea.

Anyway, that's why I was curious about "mid and long" term ... right now, new snow isn't bonding at all to steep stuff, but things change in a hurry in spring.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Amazing new snow week plus, and it's not over. Will Saturday keep the Luv's streak going? :golfclap:

Today, Friday, has been another swell one (though with a few more people than previously in the week): 8 to 12" on the right aspects up high and mid-mountain (Lift 8). Where did all that snow come from? :duck:

Man, do I have enough left in the tank to try again tomorrow? :beercheer:

Reactions: nay

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online