• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Wow this evening was weird. Basically clumps of slush falling from the sky.

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

It's just enough accumulation now that I'm sitting here thinking I really need to go out and shake the snow off my trees where I can.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
So while the deconstruction of the EpicSki Administrative State continues, NOAA continues to under forecast what is happening along the Continental Divide. "Less than 1" turned into a micro-climate half foot and 4-8" seems low.

Loveland Pass and its two resident ski areas should be Incredible the next 3 days.

IMG_5373.PNG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It was coming down hard at the Basin.

20170427_123301.jpg

I had to be in Breck by 1. My last run, just before noon, was boot deep and the only fresh tracks I crossed were my own.

20170427_102814.jpg
10:40 AM Fresh

20170427_102826.jpg
I guess I'll hit that next run...

20170427_114210.jpg
11:40 AM Still getting it. Heaven on Earth with face shots.

20170427_121833.jpg
I left time for one more fresh one.

20170427_123854.jpg
Savoring the moments.

@dean_spirito and @SBrown , I had limited time so when I didn't see you first thing, I just skied. You understand, right? ;-)

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Anyone/everyone gonna be at Luv Saturday? I know zip about where to go. Oh hey, is there a guide to Loveland on epicski (or here!) that I can check out?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Anyone/everyone gonna be at Luv Saturday? I know zip about where to go. Oh hey, is there a guide to Loveland on epicski (or here!) that I can check out?

If you read back a few pages on the Colorado weather thread on Epic I give a high level guide to Red7 and a bunch of pics (that you've probably seen here).

We'll probably be up chasing leftovers on Sunday, but Sat looks like it will be exceptional. Webcams don't seem to have shown many people chasing today at either A-basin or Luv.

So tomorrow is looking prime as well.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you read back a few pages on the Colorado weather thread on Epic I give a high level guide to Red7 and a bunch of pics (that you've probably seen here).

We'll probably be up chasing leftovers on Sunday, but Sat looks like it will be exceptional. Webcams don't seem to have shown many people chasing today at either A-basin or Luv.

So tomorrow is looking prime as well.

Do you mean this? http://www.epicski.com/t/147253/2016-17-colorado-weather-discussion/1440#post_2072840

Tomorrow isn't an option for me, and neither is Sunday, but Sat is available. Hoping everyone will head to A Basin instead ;-)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I suggest that you start at Chair One and your way over to chair 8, skiing 6, 4r, Ptarmigan and nine on your way and then repeat it backwards to chair one. Only ski chair 2 if you really, really want to

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I suggest that you start at Chair One and your way over to chair 8, skiing 6, 4r, Ptarmigan and nine on your way and then repeat it backwards to chair one. Only ski chair 2 if you really, really want to

Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for good but not super tight trees if it's low vis?

(Really hoping my knee cooperates!!)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for good but not super tight trees if it's low vis?

(Really hoping my knee cooperates!!)
I find, the biggest difference between Loveland and Abasin is the trees. Loveland does not have as many trees as Abasin. None of the trees at Loveland are tight, again, as compared to a basin.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I find, the biggest difference between Loveland and Abasin is the trees. Loveland does not have as many trees as Abasin. None of the trees at Loveland are tight, again, as compared to a basin.

Well, I haven't skied many trees this season, so not being tight is a plus :) Okay, if vis is poor, do you have any suggestions in general? Are there more sheltered areas, etc?

NonNativeRado

Astonishingly Mediocre
Skier
First post at Pug... not surprisingly in the Colorado weather thread. ABasin was great today. East Wall wasn't open until late. White out conditions gave way to some sun. I stuck around until 4. Legs exhausted. Not sure I can get up there tomorrow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well, I haven't skied many trees this season, so not being tight is a plus :) Okay, if vis is poor, do you have any suggestions in general? Are there more sheltered areas, etc?

Fail safe trees are pretty mellow (lookers left of lift 4 and fun.

To lookers right of lift 4 there are some nice trees (gets very steep at the very bottom so watch out and there are some rocks to jump off). Get off at the mid point of lift 4 and ski to the right you can drop in almost anywhere.

The trees in the lift 1 area are a bit tighter and its steep but the snow is usually the best there BUT the runs are usually full of large moguls. I love that area though it has nice sustained steepness. If you want easy trees just ski off to the right of lift 1 aways until you are in the blue/green runs. The trees in between the runs are easy and fun.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Do you mean this? http://www.epicski.com/t/147253/2016-17-colorado-weather-discussion/1440#post_2072840

Tomorrow isn't an option for me, and neither is Sunday, but Sat is available. Hoping everyone will head to A Basin instead ;-)

Yes. Chair 1 will track quickly, and not sure if you want any steeps with potential bumps lurking below, but if you head a bit skiers right at the top you get this...

IMG_3504.JPG

Heading to 4, where you can hop off at a mid-station if it's low viz, you can head down into the trees.

IMG_3499.JPG

8 usually isn't running if it's really stormy and definitely not 9. 6 has treed runs skier's right, although pretty mild pitch. But as @SkiNurse said, work from 1 to 8 and back, figuring out 9 to get up top if open. You can get a Ridge Cat pass for free, although depending on your knee some of the milder pitch is in the saddle skier's right of the lift and then along the groomer skier's left. That assumes some clearing.

I can post a bit more later if you want some more terrain pics.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It was coming down hard at the Basin.

@dean_spirito and @SBrown , I had limited time so when I didn't see you first thing, I just skied. You understand, right? ;-)

Of course! I didn't find Dean until noon-ish, anyway. But wow was there some good skiing. (Warning to others: Pali, unfortunately, didn't have any. New snow did not bond to the steeper stuff.)The lunchtime squall deposited a good 5 or 6 inches out in the East Wall, reload reload.

Where were you skiing?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I can't publish that here. But I think you know where I like to hang in Zuma. Wink, wink, nod, nod.

Status
Not open for further replies.