• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, at least the kidlets will be able to wear their costumes out in the open while trick or treating - no need to cover them in parkas!

(It's easier to look on the bright side when you aren't allowed to ski, anyway.)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have been riding my road bike, a lot. Even morning rides are comfortable which is pretty uncommon this time of year. Il take, I mean, I am itching to try my new skis but will wait until there is decent coverage. In the meantime more cycling. :D

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Fine? Well I mentioned Blantons but Wyoming is good, feisty is really good &. Stranahans work s too.

You're bet said we'd be fine by Dec? Since we know the :rocks: will be fine :), I was looking to quantify what "fine" means for the bet, and are we talking Steamboat or I-70?

I'm just looking to lose here by at least a loosely defined standard :D

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Spent the weekend driving to and from Aspen to pick up a new toy. I'd say I jinxed the snow but it has already seemed pretty jinxed.

If the white stuff ever happens, I am really looking forward to this new lift expansion at Mt. Anachronism. I've got about 1200 vertical feet up to the ridgeline (8400-9600) of nice intermediate-ish wide trees.

14925699_10154074987542897_7688154233296105393_n.jpg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And....I just got back from hiking in shorts & a tank top. :nono:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This weekend is looking much better with a weak upper low meandering over Colorado instead of the ridge rebuilding. Loveland should be able to get open I would think.

IMG_2538.PNG

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
This should help Luv, but I'd still be very impressed if they make it this weekend. And by very impressed I mean I will be there if they do.

14947604_10153845552736193_6409236372425042580_n.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I think Luv will be able to get open early next week given the forecast over the weekend.

It's weird, though, because they got open last year on those very short windows of snowmaking when an Oct opening was looking tough for anybody, and this year A-Basin lays out a high quality WROD before Loveland is much more than 50% done :huh:?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I think Luv will be able to get open early next week given the forecast over the weekend.

It's weird, though, because they got open last year on those very short windows of snowmaking when an Oct opening was looking tough for anybody, and this year A-Basin lays out a high quality WROD before Loveland is much more than 50% done :huh:?

Agreed re timing.

As for Abay vs Luv it comes down to a matter of number of snow guns to size of the run. Loveland has less guns and more terrain (wider, longer, and more vertical). Abasin is ~700ft of vertical over 0.6mi, Luv is about ~900ft vert over 1.1mi. Plus Lovelands run is wider and has worse sun-exposure. The reason for the long time between their openings is the crazy hot streak of the last few weeks. ABay just snuck in before -- I've been impressed they've been able to stay open through it.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Agreed re timing.

As for Abay vs Luv it comes down to a matter of number of snow guns to size of the run. Loveland has less guns and more terrain (wider, longer, and more vertical). Abasin is ~700ft of vertical over 0.6mi, Luv is about ~900ft vert over 1.1mi. Plus Lovelands run is wider and has worse sun-exposure. The reason for the long time between their openings is the crazy hot streak of the last few weeks. ABay just snuck in before -- I've been impressed they've been able to stay open through it.

I figured Loveland must have a lot more capacity since as you point out it is over double the required coverage with some exposure issues (how do they ever compete?). Also of course why it is the superior product - quite a bit more terrain and what, 10% of the skier traffic?

As far as A-Basin staying open, the sun angle is really low. Last Thursday was a warm day and really it would have been nice to see it soften a bit more. The hard pack underneath will be waiting for us in late Spring. They really did a great job this season.

In other news, Keystone was supposed to open on Friday and has pushed a week to the 11th. Winter Park is now targeting the 16th, but I wasn't tracking their original opening day to know if that has shifted. Copper seems to be holding tight to the 11th for now...

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I am hoping so since I'm planning on driving up I-70 and bearing to the right just before the tunnel and you know...

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
And...

Loveland announces it will not be open this weekend...

But I wonder if A-basin maybe gets Ramrod open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online