• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We have two little weak systems over the next week and then the perfect non-skier weather continues with no end in sight.

As of now, it seems very unlikely anybody else is opening by mid-Nov except maybe Loveland.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The boilerplate was ever present, but crowds were decent and the soft piles progressed as expected. Couldn't really open it up much, but I'd sure rinse and repeat.

Got in 10 runs, legs and downhill brain both felt good. It's so warm that it may not hard freeze tonight, in which case tomorrow should be good from the bell.

IMG_2414.JPG

Meanwhile, in Denver on the way home...

IMG_2417.JPG

All time heat records must be getting crushed.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ It was warm in the shade today, that barely happens in summer.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
So, if we are thinking of skiing out West in December in a location which has a good base and cold enough temps maybe we should only consider BC or Washington as CO and rest of western states will not be ready at this rate?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, if we are thinking of skiing out West in December in a location which has a good base and cold enough temps maybe we should only consider BC or Washington as CO and rest of western states will not be ready at this rate?

Won't know that for a couple weeks yet.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yea, it's Oct 27th. But absent a pattern change before too long, I wouldn't be making plans to come here except for a showdown at High Noon :D

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Peeps, it's October, anyone want to bet a bottle of bourbon that by December we"LL be in fine shape?

I never win anything (I'm like the least door prizes winning person in history), so I'm tempted to take that bet so I can lose. But this summer has been unbelievably whack in terms of weird circumstantial crap going down every time I've had major plans (like wheel studs seizing and busting off two different vehicles off right before the trip during basic maintenance), and I'm afraid I'll jinx it because the cosmos has been telling me to stay the f home.

Even yesterday, I'm figuring I'll get in that first day and break this summer curse, and at noon I realize (because my wife texts me as I'm sitting down at BML for a nice bowl of poblano chicken soup) that I was supposed to take my son to a PT appointment that we all forgot about to work out the kinks right before his state championship XC meet. She had to cut short an important appointment in Denver to get back to take him because I couldn't get there in time.

I think it's going to break when the weather breaks. Until then...:rocks:

Last edited:
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
The boilerplate was ever present, but crowds were decent and the soft piles progressed as expected. Couldn't really open it up much, but I'd sure rinse and repeat.

Got in 10 runs, legs and downhill brain both felt good. It's so warm that it may not hard freeze tonight, in which case tomorrow should be good from the bell.

View attachment 15150

Meanwhile, in Denver on the way home...

View attachment 15151

All time heat records must be getting crushed.
More judicious use of "boilerplate" is advised.
I don't think I have ever seen boilerplate in Colorado.
Ask any of our eastern friends what boilerplate is, and they will disabuse you of the term's application vis-a-vis Colorado snow.
We are just so spoiled that, if we ever have to use our edges, we complain that its icy.
AND IT'S OCTOBER FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love your frequent reports by the way. For some reason, I never bother to stop, pull out my phone, and take a picture. I'm glad someone does!

Muleski

Inactive
There are a lot of pretty serious race groups {including the USST speed group, I still believe} headed to Summit County this coming week. Copper and Loveland are on the schedule. I have not heard of changes in plans, but I'm also wondering just what will be on the ground for them? Fingers crossed.

I have heard mention of A-Basin, which is typically a nightmare in terms of who wants what for "space." Beggars can't be choosers.
They may be lucky to be on any snow!

Meanwhile 6-10" of fresh snow fell above about 3000 feet here in Northern New England. May be more snow at elevation in the Tahoe Basin.

Something is wrong with this weather. Odd.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I have Easter lilies in the front yard that are 3-5 days from blooming. Lilies in November in Colorado. How weird is that?

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
September 2004: 20"ish storm in September... actually skied powder in Sept! End result... crappy winter, mountain wasn't 100% open until almost February.

October 2007: Zero snow and remained in the 60's until Thanksgiving... Steamboat had to delay opening 10 days, they couldn't even blow a single flake. End result... 3 straight 100"+ months and record biggest snow year, by a lot.

October 2011: Skied over a foot of fresh from the top of the mountain on Oct 5th. End result... one of the worst winters ever.

October 2014: Snowy October and huge November. End result... again, one of the worst winters ever.

Exactly 365 days ago: Cue the CO whining about warm weather (probably myself included), A-basin wasn't even open yet, minimal natural snow on the ground. End result... I was skiing knee deep powder the next week, many CO resorts opened early, and it was a decent winter.

This weather isn't abnormal at all for October in CO, sometimes it's warm and sometimes it's snowy and sometimes it's rainy. October 28th gives absolutely zero indicator of how the winter will be, it doesn't even give you an indicator of how next week will be.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
September 2004: 20"ish storm in September... actually skied powder in Sept! End result... crappy winter, mountain wasn't 100% open until almost February.

October 2007: Zero snow and remained in the 60's until Thanksgiving... Steamboat had to delay opening 10 days, they couldn't even blow a single flake. End result... 3 straight 100"+ months and record biggest snow year, by a lot.

October 2011: Skied over a foot of fresh from the top of the mountain on Oct 5th. End result... one of the worst winters ever.

October 2014: Snowy October and huge November. End result... again, one of the worst winters ever.

Exactly 365 days ago: Cue the CO whining about warm weather (probably myself included), A-basin wasn't even open yet, minimal natural snow on the ground. End result... I was skiing knee deep powder the next week, many CO resorts opened early, and it was a decent winter.

This weather isn't abnormal at all for October in CO, sometimes it's warm and sometimes it's snowy and sometimes it's rainy. October 28th gives absolutely zero indicator of how the winter will be, it doesn't even give you an indicator of how next week will be.

Thank you for that! I had the same gut feeling but didn't have the inclination to put together the details. I'm still a bit pissy because I want to be wearing long sleeves instead of it being 70 degrees at 7am but I know it'll come.

I will not take @Ron up on his bet but I hope someone will so I can enjoy some of the bourbon. :D:rocks:

Reactions: Ron
Status
Not open for further replies.