• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

1st Annual SkiEssentials.com Ski Test

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
Hey PugSkiers!

We are thrilled to share the results from our first annual ski test! We gathered a total of 38 testers over three days at Stowe Mountain Resort made up of our staff, local rippers, and industry professionals. These 38 skiers tested over 120 different skis from 14 different manufacturers. Our goal was to objectively describe the performance of each ski and the type of skier it would be best for. We don't believe one ski is necessarily better than another; they're all different. Without further ado, here are the results from our test!:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hey PugSkiers!

We are thrilled to share the results from our first annual ski test! We gathered a total of 38 testers over three days at Stowe Mountain Resort made up of our staff, local rippers, and industry professionals. These 38 skiers tested over 120 different skis from 14 different manufacturers. Our goal was to objectively describe the performance of each ski and the type of skier it would be best for. We don't believe one ski is necessarily better than another; they're all different. Without further ado, here are the results from our test!:

This is so awesome. I believe I just peed my pants ... wait ... yes, I just did. How embarrassing.

Now, what did I do wrong? Do you have something like a table with the scores in each category for each ski with the average from all testers, or something along these lines? To come up with an overall score for skis and compare ... I only saw the option to read about each ski, but it's hard to have a big picture or even see explicit scores. Sorry if the answer is obvious, I only took a quick look. But this is really exciting. Thank you for the review!

Also, what's up with Head? Do you guys sell the brand? You definitely tested the Titans, maybe others ... cheers!

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Now, what did I do wrong? Do you have something like a table with the scores in each category from each tester, etc? To come up with an overall score for skis and compare ... I only saw the option to read about each ski, but it's hard to have a big picture or even see explicit scores. Sorry if the answer is obvious, I only took a quick look. But this is really exciting. Thank you for the review!

Also, what's up with Head? Do you guys sell the brand? You definitely tested the Titans, maybe others ... cheers!

You didn't do anything wrong! In fact, that's kind of the idea of our ski test. We don't really like numerical scores, especially in an "overall" capacity, as it depicts certain skis as "better" than others. We tried really hard to objectively describe each ski and the type of skier it would be best for. While it's not as quick to compare skis in our test as it is in a magazine that lists them by overall score, we think it is a more accurate and fair way to describe and compare skis.

Yes! We're a big Head dealer. We have quite a lot of their skis and a whole bunch of Tyrolia bindings. You see the Attack 13 in a lot of our ski and binding packages.

Enjoy the results!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We are thrilled to share the results from our first annual ski test

This is a great resource. Thanks!

Feedback for winter 2017-18 testing: I'd love to see more unisex skis tested by your female testers, such as Kristi Brown. All or almost all of the male testers whose profiles I saw have 50lbs or more on me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a chance to ski with @Jeff N and the @SkiEssentials crew when they were doing this test. SkiEssential's team fought some miserable weather getting this test done, there was terrential rains, high winds, limited terrain and even some snow. Their team powered through and came up with great results.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Very well done @SkiEssentials !
It's really head-shaking how competitive this business is. So many great choices!
Two things that struck me:
1) Glad that all of your testers weren't just 20-somethings. You covered the age spectrum very well which lines up pretty well with the testers at @Pugski.
2) Surprised that Head Monsters (especially 88 & 98) didn't make the cut.
Thanks!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You didn't do anything wrong! In fact, that's kind of the idea of our ski test. We don't really like numerical scores, especially in an "overall" capacity, as it depicts certain skis as "better" than others. We tried really hard to objectively describe each ski and the type of skier it would be best for. While it's not as quick to compare skis in our test as it is in a magazine that lists them by overall score, we think it is a more accurate and fair way to describe and compare skis.

Yes, that's the Pugski philosophy for testing, as well. I just got confused by one of your sentences in the OP about objectivity, not in small part because you guys did score each ski in different areas :D I somehow concluded that you were rating skis objectively (without you ever saying that, of course :).

Thank you guys, again, for a great article. And for sponsoring. And for treating the community so well when someone needs to get hooked up with gear :)

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
1) Glad that all of your testers weren't just 20-somethings. You covered the age spectrum very well which lines up pretty well with the testers at @Pugski.
2) Surprised that Head Monsters (especially 88 & 98) didn't make the cut.

Thanks!

1. We actually had to seek out more 20-something skiers! We had some great testers from UVM that helped fill that void.
2. It was tough narrowing the list of potential skis down to a number we could manage. I think it's safe to say next season we'll be trying to increase total skis.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great reviews, great format, and, I concur with your testers on the skis I also skied last season (which makes me feel pretty good!) :rolleyes:

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Just read a few of these - and the reviews are super helpful - I liked all of the multiple testers and the varying opinions they gave. Great work!

Great reviews, great format, and, I concur with your testers on the skis I also skied last season (which makes me feel pretty good!) :rolleyes:

Thanks! We tried to make our ski test a little different and we're psyched skiers are finding it useful!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I cannot find a single negative review, so looks like this test requires the usual skill of reading ski tests between the lines. Still good to have the extended opinions. Of course most of the shots on the market right now are at least very competent, so the reviewers are splitting hairs out of necessity.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
I cannot find a single negative review, so looks like this test requires the usual skill of reading ski tests between the lines. Still good to have the extended opinions. Of course most of the shots on the market right now are at least very competent, so the reviewers are splitting hairs out of necessity.

You definitely won't find a review that's overall negative; all the skis we tested are good at something. You will see a lot of honest feedback and quotes from testers if, for example, a ski chattered at speed, felt heavy, unstable, etc etc

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Sounds fair enough to me - there aren't really any poor skis just the wrong skiers for them or not a broad enough set of skills. I tend to like the heads up comparisons with skis basically in the same niche as Blister does - there you learn if a ski is chargier/ less pivoty/ floatier etc than its peers.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

SkiTalk Sponsor
Sounds fair enough to me - there aren't really any poor skis just the wrong skiers for them or not a broad enough set of skills. I tend to like the heads up comparisons with skis basically in the same niche as Blister does - there you learn if a ski is chargier/ less pivoty/ floatier etc than its peers.

We think head to head comparisons are great too! We plan on doing some comparison articles and videos talking about the differences between models that fall into the same category (i.e. ~90mm all mountain skis with metal) as we get closer to ski season.

Sponsor