• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

YT Demo Day

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Anyone curious about YT Industrie? The mail order model is interesting and starting to disrupt traditional sales. The Capra has had amazing reviews for years now and the downhill bike the Tues wins a World Cup race in it's first outing. Bone-stock. Well, I'm interested so when I heard that there was demo day at Highland I called up Mike Thomas and we rallied up and went for the day.

First up was the Jeffsy 29 (LG). First time I've ridden a 29er in ages. We rode it on one of Highland's Endure stages Faux Pine. The Jeffsy 29 is a 5" travel bike with modern trail geometry. Mine had Rock Shox and Shimano, Mike's had SRAM Eagle and Fox. We did two laps so we could start to get some of the lines and also so we could remember how to ride bikes. Well, it was the most fun 29er I've ever ridden. If it were mine, I'd want to adjust the rear shock, I was having 30% sag and had quite a bit of travel in the bag when we were done with the Jeffsy. Initial stroke felt really firm, but also, the tires were over-inflated so hard to tell how much was the shock and how much was the tires.

Next bike, I grabbed the Capra (size Large) and Mike took a Jeffsy 27.5. The Capra to me had a great feel just pedaling to the lift. It reminded me of how my Fischer Curvs are like "yeah, ski me, fast, now!". I felt like the pedaling was nice and firm and the bike really rolled easily. Once pointed downhill, it really carved the turns, just push the bars down and feel it rip. It urged me to go faster and start jumping things. Of course it didn't take long for that to go horribly wrong and I had a pretty big wreck landing chest first on a rock. After a few minutes of rolling around on the ground, I got back on the bike and it still wanted to go fast. Once you have ridden more than one bike you can start to compare. I felt more squirrely on the slimy stuff and rocks than I did on the Jeffsy 29. But why? My first thought was the tires. I really liked the Michelins on the Jeffsy, while the Capra had E13 tires. Was that it? Different brakes, I am used to Shimano, maybe I just pulled too hard on the Capra's Avids. Or maybe the 29" wheel really does have better grip. Or maybe those parts of the trail felt wild because the Capra just urged me to ride faster.

Last bike was the carbon Tues, the DH bike. I had a sort of budget version, and Mike had the baller Aaron Gwin version with carbon rims and all the fancy stuff. Again, the first pedal stroke away from the demo tent was just - YES. The chassis is so solid, landing jumps, there is no rattle or clank just a positive controlled thud. I didn't really go nuts on the thing since it isn't mine and I don't know it's quirks and handling traits yet. This bike jumps much more easily than my Intense M9 which tends to feel like it is glued to the ground. The Tues will jump over obstacles or plow through them it doesn't care. Bottom line, it made my bike feel old... and slow. I'm sure I'll get over it, but if the chance arises, I'm getting a Tues.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
It was a heck of a demo, they had a nice selection of bikes and sizes and they did a good job setting everything up. I walked away extremely impressed with the brand, I knew the pricing was outstanding but that doesn't matter if they don't ride well. YT bikes ride GREAT. While Erik liked the Capra and the Tues, I was a bigger fan of the Jeffsy, well, I would spend my money on one. The Capra felt a little too burly. More trophy truck than spots car, both the jeffsys were nimble and firm pedaling, trail bikes with the spirit of an enduro racer vs an actual enduro racer (Capra). The 29" would be my choice, the roll over and climbing grip are my cup o' tea, the 27.5 was noticeably more playful, easier to manual and fun to jump, however not by enough for me to give up what the bigger wheels can do.

The Tues? Well, what can be said? DH bikes are sick. This is a really, really good DH bike, capable of winning the WC Overall but still fun to ride on a flow trail. What a bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like a fun day on bikes! Too early in the season to be rolling around on the ground for a few minutes after a wreck!

It will be interesting to see how these direct sales models pan out. They call to the true bike zealots that read everything they can about bikes, but I'm not sure that is even 10% of the buying public.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I guess we weren't the only ones that liked the YT demo bikes.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
That's Britain, righ? At least I hope the US guys didn't get their demos stolen, they seemed like really good guys.

Sponsor

Staff online