• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Young Kids and skiing

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
8. tell the parents that skill level dictates terrain, terrain does not dictate skill level. make sure the kid skis on easy terrain.
This is such a key component that many parents miss.

I watched a dad take his kid into The Rapids (bump run under the Backside Express chair at Northstar) using a Lucky Bums harness. The kid was in a power wedge, in the back seat because dad was pulling on the harness, and (of course) dad wasn't skiing the bumps well for many reasons, one of which is that he was pulling the reins on a kid who had no business being on a run like that.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Love spending time skiing with kids and parents keep giving me theirs with hopes that a skier will emerge. My youngest subject a was 19 month old girl that is graduating college next month and did travel from Florida to ski with us this winter. My wife's 4 year old grand-nephew was this years success story. I had low expectations as this cute little tyke appeared to lack good coordination and balance. Kid took to skiing like a fish to water grinning from ear to ear every run. He would ride the magic carpet as I raced him up the hill power skating.( Keeps me from cramping up on the flat terrain) Soon we were lapping Yodeler off the Snowshed Quad. Full control turns on his own without a harness. Wish every 4 year old was this easy. He found an activity that he was good at and was thrilled to be on slopes with the family. Trying to teach a three year old is a huge difficult chore and for the few amazing 3 year olds that I have skied with always have an amazing skiing parent that has spent a lot of time with them. Best example I know is a buddy at work who grew up in Stowe were at 5 years old his mom would drop him and his 8 year old brother off for the day at the mountain while she went to work at the Green Mountain Inn. At the end of the day they would ski down to the Toll House and ask the front desk to use the phone to call mom. His kids were the most amazing 3 year old skiers that I have ever seen. @Brian Finch has two pretty amazing cute girls that few boys would be able to keep up with. Very few things in life as rewarding as teaching a little one the art of sliding on snow.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kids snow ski season over but they do get to practice balance in other means, opening season show last night.

All three participating in various acts. eldest on third tier right on closing act:

2017-6-2 show.jpeg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
What makes a wedge a "power wedge"? Stance width? Backseat?
Backseat balanced feet as wide as they can get. The 3 and a half year old pictured is showing her version on the bumps of Superstar. When it got too steep for the power wedge to control her speed Dad would pick her up and run her down to the next not too steep spot. By the time she is seven or eight I imagine that Dad will have his hands full keeping up with her in the spring bumps.

IMG_4062.jpg
IMG_4063.jpg

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ok thanks. What I'm trying to figure out is what a good wedge is vs a bad wedge. My 5 yr old can really tip the outside ski and make smooth round turns with good control of speed but it's still in the wedge position. I spoke with an instructor who recommended a drill where you lift the inside ski and put it back down repeatedly during the turn to try and achieve a more parallel stance. I'm sure there is a name for the drill. Is that a good progression u think? Btw I keep her on the greens for the most part.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Our oldest, now 31, spent quite a bit of time playing around with us on snow the winter that he was two and a half. He was a big little guy, but a typical boy. No way was he ready to be in lessons. My wife and I were both coaching weekends, and he was in an on mountain child care. He would get to see older kids skiing and was all in. We were at Stowe.

So that spring, particularly with warm days and more daylight, he really had fun and made progress. Easy terrain, got his wedge down, turns. Start and stop. All good. Always fun, always on his timetable. Lots of bribery. Big spike in the hot chocolate budget.

Next fall, no more potty training issues. He was a big three and a half. Pretty coordinated and real motivated. Convinced he was already a ski racer. I was still coaching. Wife would fill in as a coach. Was pregnant with number two. We knew that we were not going to teach him. The mountain, Stowe, had a program where he would ski a couple of hours in the AM, and in the PM. Play otherwise.

We had him in there as soon as they were open for the season. Very few kids, and hardly any skiers his age in November. So he skis with a mom we know, who was a great skier herself, and had raised four ski racers. One on one. When we pick him up, Carrie {who had known my wife forever} says, well, you should clearly get him in a race program when he's older. He's got great balance. Ohh, and by the way, he's no longer in a wedge. We worked on that in the morning. I also scrounged up a pair of poles after our first run, so bring him with poles tomorrow. Knowing you, you already have them. He's already got the touch down. And I detuned his tips. OK.....

Son is now a pretty intense full time coach. None of his coaching buddies have started their kids in a wedge. Right or wrong that is their program. Some of these kids are pretty amazing as little tots. Last winter a four year old blasted me with what he proudly told me was an awesome hockey stop. Of course he had no clue that hockey was another sport.
Cute.

Daughter was never really in a wedge, either. Worked for her. But yeah, we never, ever "challenged" them with terrain. They took to it plenty fast, but not till ready. No need for any fear. They became fearless soon enough.

Man....takes me back. Ha!

Last edited:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I used a harness with my other kids and I'll do it again this winter with kid #3. The two older ones both ski just fine now.

It works good for us because it gives the kid a feeling for why skiing is fun without a lot of the wiping out.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter started at age 3, but she was an easy-going kid, usually excited about trying new things. I skied with her between my skis and took her on the chairlift at Badger Pass. I didn't think she made much progress that way, because she wasn't always balancing herself. I had to get special permission from Badger Pass ski school to get her in a lesson at that age. After that, we really started going more when she was 5, and I would put her in all-day lessons so that I could ski and so that she would be able to ski with me as soon as possible. As soon as she could ski blue runs, she started doing only half-day lessons. It helped that we would meet up with one of her friends at Northstar and then Alpine Meadows, and they would take lessons together. For me and my daughter, the lessons were great and a worthwhile investment. She's 21 now, and I can't keep up with her! But I think the age to start lessons depends on your kid's temperament and interest.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ok thanks. What I'm trying to figure out is what a good wedge is vs a bad wedge. My 5 yr old can really tip the outside ski and make smooth round turns with good control of speed but it's still in the wedge position. I spoke with an instructor who recommended a drill where you lift the inside ski and put it back down repeatedly during the turn to try and achieve a more parallel stance. I'm sure there is a name for the drill. Is that a good progression u think? Btw I keep her on the greens for the most part.

basically and wedge where balance is on the outside ski is good. Balance and NOT pressing. That is why lifting is really the only way to teach it to young kids because they understand it, even if the inside skis doesnt come off the ground, the act of trying will get them into a better balance position. Bad wedge are being shown in the pictures above, with a wide stance balance on the inside tail, using pelvis rotation to turn. A good wedge is narroow, balanced on the outside ski, and using the femurs to at least start the turn. Small kids are incapable of skiing steep terrain when really young, With my students though I would rather have them do proper movements on easy terrain until that is all they are capable of doing.

Do not looks for edge angle on the outside ski, it usually comes prematurely in little kids Looks for balance and finesse on the outside ski. Ironically once balance is on the outside ski the wedge will basically disappear.

This is a good wedge christie being done by a 3 year old.....the match is not intentional but is being caused by act of shortening and lightening the inside leg(which those words were never used at 3 year olds with Gwen.). I would have had to film earlier to get a wedge but she only wedged for a couple days before she started to match, which is how it should be with every well taught skier of any age. Yes there is up body rotation....but she is 3. 2 year later I assure the results are pretty amazing. Pretty much my favorite student ever, but that is off topic.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Josh is the master when it comes to teaching kids. To put a visual to his point these photos show the same Father - Daughter the week previous when the blue trail Upper Skylark was open. Full in control turns following Dad. The following week when only Superstar was open she was still out there with Dad having a ball. You could watch as the steepness of the slope overcome her abilities with the power wedge the only remaining tool. Every Spring we get many of the same softcore families returning to ski Superstar. Let everyone use the mountain in their own way and never judge. There is great enjoyment out of watching others have fun. Hope to see that family again next spring.

IMG_3968.jpg
IMG_3969.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
What is the recommended next step from here?
Not sure about lessons @ 2yo, but if anyone has experience here as well, would appreciate input.

Real skis, real boots. Harness, but on you, to pull her up for her next run

Sponsor

Staff online