• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Worst drivers vs road bikes

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So today I did a rather long (for me) ride. A couple sections were on busy main roads without bike lanes. Lots of car interactions. Many were courteous and safety minded. A few were not. Interesting sample of makes vs nice drivers. Scientifically accurate correlation list from worst to best follows:
Mercedes
BMW
big diesel pickup trucks
Prius
as opposed to
old Hondas
Oldsmobile

It is really cool when after making eye contact, the wonderful woman in the Olds blocked for me through the most exposed part of the road. It is nice when people actually yield.

Interesting that the workers in old trucks were pretty good about giving me room.

No idea why Mercedes can't ever see bicyclists - or other cars. I know that BMWs don't have working blinkers but why can't they drive straight. Big tricks are just too big.

Horrible stereotypes but today true.

Eric

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Humm, my experience has been that Compact cars with tinted glass (older Honda, Hyundai and Toyotas) and white pickup trucks (usually Ford) are the worst and most repeat offenders. Close third, Moms on Minivans/SUVs.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
You mean:

tumblr_no58ksminJ1rkallao1_500.jpg

Disclaimer: I do own one of these, so the joke is on me, and no, I don't go around like a jerk, but there is a lot of truth about the joke.

Bikes: I always activate the alarm lights, slowly pass the biker IF there is enough room to pass them, and then turn the alarm signal off and go back to normal driving. No exception. Don't care if I create a caravan behind. Life is too precious.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Bigotry and prejudice often live up to expectations, if you expect luxury car drivers to drive poorly then you'll be hyper aware of any infraction they might do?

Of course I drive a Volvo, a nice car but proper, so I waft besides cyclists and allow them to hold onto the roof rack and coast.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First, I did not encounter anything dangerous. So none of these drivers presented a safety issue. Little things like drifting into the bike lane, pulling alongside me to turn right (?! I sprinted clear), cutting me off to get to a stoplight first and generally not noticing a bicyclist are my complaints. Plenty of people saw me, made room for me, deferred to me and blocked for me (wonderful!).

Torrey Pines Road might be the most bike unfriendly road in San Diego. There is no alternative way from downtown La Jolla anywhere east. There is a partial small bike lane which was blocked by construction. All of busy La Jolla has to take this road. There's not that much bike traffic because it is so challenging. But there is enough so the drivers have to regularly deal with bikes (it is San Diego with perfect weather and teeing into the La Jolla Scenic road with its challenging long climb on a very bike friendly road - a classic San Diego ride). @Frankly and @cantunamunch , it is La Jolla so ALL of the cars are luxury cars.

I really shouldn't complain as it wasn't a real problem. Just an interesting observation. And a different driver demographic than my normal ride to work in OB (I'm not sure there is a Mercedes in OB). Stirring the pot while stuck a long way from the snow.

Eric

@slowrider I love drafting trucks - except garbage trucks...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Livestock trucks are the best! Just to keep it real. Somethimes I've seen bike riders on narrow crooked roads with heavy truck traffic. Question their thought process on choice of route planning. Obvious a danger to all on the road.

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Drafted a boat today. Way better than a livestock truck! Maybe I was as salty and wet as drafting a livestock truck but I smelled a lot better. Once I left the boat draft I zoomed past another cyclist. He jumped in my draft. Gave me a thanksfor the draft when we split. Probably wouldn't have been so nice if I had been wet and salty from a livestock truck.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ I would welcome a livestock truck! Ha ha ha!!!!! Up here it's farm country and the roads are sometimes covered in liquid manure when it spills from the spreader!!! Tastes great! :eek::poo:........ no avoiding it bec it gets EVERYWHERE! UGGH......... bike, face, lips, clothing, water bottle........ nice layering esp when it rains! EWWW!