• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Around 1PM, I walked about 10 minutes along the coastline from my home office to a the "Lobster Company" that we look right at from our house. Classic small New England deal. This place sells whatever the fisherman catch, and it could not be more fresh. They'll fix a Lobster roll anyway you want it. Grill the roll, toast the roll, Lobster meat only. Lobster meat and celery. Butter. Hellman's Mayo. Miracle Whip. Special orders don't upset the. When we buy Lobster, they'll cook them for $1 each.....keeps the smell out of the house.

Now, that all sounds pretty good. we also have a great seafood restaurant that is about 500 yards in the other direction, which happens to be owned by a Lobsterman. So the seafood is awesome. So are the onion rings, the French fries, and the cole slaw. The beer is cold, and the rum is always tasty.

However, having lived one town North of Portland for 8 years, and having spent a lot of time in Maine for 60+ years, I have a really hard time seeing ANYBODY in Utah winning this one. I can think of a dozen little Lobster haunts that I've brought friends to, by car or by boat, and it seems like each one has drawn the "best lobster roll of my life" compliment.

Biggest fish processor in Maine is a friend. They ship it and it arrives fresh all over the world. The real money is in the sushi grade tuna. Caught, off loaded within a couple of hours off the boat, cleaned and flash freezed, trucked to Boston and on the plane to Tokyo. In the fishmongers' hands within 24 hours. At a very steep price!

I'm not pooh-poohing Colorado food, either. I LIKE pretty much all food. I'd just stick to beef in CO, and lobster in Maine. Even when in Aspen. Where the seafood is very fresh.

I'd have a hard time with the Utah pricing, too! Typical cheap Yankee.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I really only go out of my way for lobster when it's whole, or full tail served on a plate, boiled, broiled, or grilled. Rolls, in pasta, cut up and mixed in anything I can't really tell the lobster from the other scallops, shrimp, etc.. So, I'd not pay extra for lobster unless it comes looking like a lobster to me. Also, no mayo, no fettuccine or marinara sauce.. only hot butter. Add a small NY strip or ribeye and GOOD fries and that's one of my top 5 favorite meals.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Their lobster is comes from Maine, I would be very surprised if they used a different lobster or source...you don't make that change going into the their biggest competition.

No, of course not. But it came right off the boat, almost certainly, rather than being trucked to the airport, flown to Utah, and trucked to the market and then to Freshies. I'll bet their Maine contest version was even better than their restaurant version. I trust your assessment that it was delicious in Utah. You seem to be a guy who knows his way around food!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I think what they are saying is, The lobster in Maine will be fresher than the same lobster after traveling to Utah.

Ayup, that's what I was saying.

in NE is going to admit that lobster will taste as good in the Rocky Mountain West.

Exactly!

(Yeah, they'll come ski our snow) [/QUOTE]

I hope to one of these days! But admit your lobster roll is better? Never.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For a long time, the best fish restaurant I had eaten in was Jay's in Dayton Ohio. Since this was odd, living near Boston and all, I came up with a theory. Here in New England, the fish comes off the boat, sits in the sun on the dock awhile, goes to the market when the buyer gets around to showing up, etc, etc etc. All very routine. Fresh fish in the middle of the country is a mission calling for extreme care at every step. The same probably applies to Lobster in Utah.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No one in NE is going to admit that lobster will taste as good in the Rocky Mountain West. (Yeah, they'll come ski our snow, but pooh-pooh our food. ogsmile Keep it to yourself. :roflmao:) And it might not, but it was still fairly amazing.
A lot like no one in the W will admit that the skiing is sometimes better in the Northeast.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
New England has their own style hot dog bun?!?

Apparently so ?

images

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
New England hot dog buns have a vertical slice down the middle. What the rest of the world calls "hot dog buns" we call "coney islands." Don't ask me why...

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, I don't want to rain on anyones parade, BUT, the best lobster rolls are in PEI, because thats where the best lobsters are. And the best lobster rolls are at Daves Lobster in Charlottetown, or maybe the Blue Mussel Cafe in Rustico . and can't forget the Point Prim Chowder House and Oyster Bar.
Sorry, but thats truth.

scott43

Skier
My wife routinely drove the Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick route for work purposes and developed a love affair with seafood. Any attempt to ply her with a seafood dinner here in Toronto is fruitless. Apparently, no matter the cost, the seafood in the Maritimes is just THAT good.. :(

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Apparently so ?

images

That style bun is an absolute necessity for me to give a lobster roll an A mark. Toasted with butter. No other bun type allowed. And mayo is an insult to a good lobster roll... that's like a well-done steak.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, a split in the NE ranks. Butter vs mayo.
The Nutmeg state takes on the Down Easter.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mamie went to school in Maine so that makes me a mayo guy.
Butter is way too temperature dependent.

Muleski

Inactive
Pretty humorous. As a life long New Englander with a bit of ski experience, the relative pecking order of the seafood experience far outweighs the ski experience. No question there. A lot of places to go for skiing. For seafood, a bit tougher.

Two of my best college buddies were Canadian hockey players from PEI. Great food. PEI red potatoes are awesome. Mussels are tremendous. And yeah the Lobster is pretty great. So are the scallops.

I'll still take Maine, from the the MidCoast east. Diving for scallops, and having them in the skillet up at the ski house six hours later is "pretty good eating." I know more than a couple ski coaches who are lobstermen, and they always deliver the goods. Farther south of Maine, the local Cath is pretty good. I can harvest mussels and dig clams a short walk from my house. I like striped bass, and when you catch and grill it yourself, it tastes the way you want it to. We do have to walk to buy fresh shrimp, scallops, tuna, salmon, swordfish.

Sorry.....when we're in the Rockies, we're not doing that. But then again, any kind of beef just tastes "better" there.

I would not be so bold in the "right way" to prepare a lobster roll. Plenty of people insist on just the meat, and on no butter, no mayo, nothing. Some insist that they are purists by pouring drawn butter on them. Some swear by Hellman's mayo and only Hellman's. Others are Miracle Whip types.
And the roll of choice, particularly when they still operated bakeries in Maine was the JJ Nissen hot dog roll.

Now if we want to discuss New England sandwich food, specifically Maine, we can discuss the various ways to eat an "Italian", and specifically one form Amato's. Double Ham, extra pickles, light onions and oil is my tweak. Or the original Jordan's red hot dogs.

When I was in college, during football preseason, I was driving a couple of freshman around in the small downtown area. One was form Long Island. His grandparents had come directly from Sicily. We pulled up in front of the best sandwich and pizza joint in town, and he jokes that he's not so sure that his family will like this place. Neon sign in the window; "We sell Italians"

Shall we have a chowder or fried clam discussion?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Two words for landlocked middle America.. and the West Coast... Lobster Farms!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two words for landlocked middle America.. and the West Coast... Lobster Farms!
A great idea in theory, but very resource expensive. Not only does it take 7 years for a lobster to grow to 'market size', but if you keep a bunch of lobsters in one crowded tank, they will eat each other.

Sponsor

Staff online